Go down with the Jeep or get a new one? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Go down with the Jeep or get a new one?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Davecore555
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Go down with the Jeep or get a new one?

So after many issues I finally took the jeep into the dreaded Dealership service area. The tachometer jumps and stalls out at stops and my transmission builds up and kicks in randomly.

So this is what they reported:

1. Internal Failure in transmission torque converter-staying in lock up and stalling out engine at idle.
2. ATF fluid level approx. 1.5 Qts low on fluid and burnt
3. Replace Front U-joint, front yoke, 2 rear u joints.
4. Replace Both front wheel bearings worn and causing front tires to lean in.
5. Internal Failure in PCM
6. Replace Crank Sensor

Recommended:
Transmission overhaul w/ torque converter
Internal Seal Kit
ATF Fluid
Replace Front U-joint, front yoke, 2 rear u joints.
Replace Both front wheel bearings worn and causing front tires to lean in
New PCM and Crank Sensor

I need a lol.

They quoted me at $5,778.89 + Tax!!!!

What should I do, I'm going to call a few local places first. My buddy to is buys/sells at auctions for dealers said to get it fixed otherwise i couldn't give it away and I would be better down the road when i sell it myself to get a new Jeep.

==============================
99 TJ Auto
3.5 RE Lift
33 BF-G AT Tires
Dynomax Exhaust
High Performance Cat. Converter
Pacesetter Exhaust manifold
K&N Intake
KC slim fogs
Front/Back Black Warn Bumpers

Davecore555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you can do all the stuff yourself you probably looking at 1000-1500 in parts, that's swapping in a junkyard transmission. Everything else is pretty simple stuff.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Easy stuff. Do it yourself, save some money and learn a few things about your vehicle.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
hndswthtshdws
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In addition to the above I would like to mention that dealerships just love to replace U joints, wheel bearings, batteries, and brakes. A lot of times it isn't needed. Judge for yourself or have a knowledgeable buddy look at it. Don't trust someone's diagnosis when they stand to profit from it.
hndswthtshdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
tjwrangler99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

take it to a local shop... someone who has a decent reputation, and have them look at it. Dont tell him you took it to a dealer... See if they find the same issues. In the end, you may just need a new junkyard tranny... I can see a large chunk of what they quoted, being a nice new tranny... when you can get something used for much cheaper.
BFG AT 31's | BDS 2" Lift | JKS Quick Disco's | Zone Rear Sway Links | TeraFlex 1/2" Drop+Washer | Warn M8000 | Viking 80' 3/8 Synthetic w/ Safety Thimble | Viking 350 Fairlead | MetalCloak AL Bumper | 99 Durango Steering Box | Uniden 520 CB w/ 3' FireStik | ebay header | Magnaflow Mid-Cat | Banks Cat-back | XJ Steering Linkage | Hella Black Magic (x4)
2011 Patriot FD1
tjwrangler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Davecore555
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Appreciating all the encouragement to keep the TJ, I've been getting getting the get the new 4dr JK. Which I personally don't like. Just too much life in my TJ still and all the time I've put into it.

I'm gonna call a local shop that was referred to me by the local jeep 4x4 place. They said to have him look at it. They said they consider him one of the most honest people/friend they know. They almost starting laughing at the dealer price when I told them. Unfortunately they don't work on auto trans.

If I get the parts myself any suggestions or rebuilt pcms etc... Also anything I should go ahead and upgrade if it comes down to rebuilding trans and replacing any of the other parts?

Thanks again everyone with the responses so far.
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
MsGTI
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hndswthtshdws View Post
In addition to the above I would like to mention that dealerships just love to replace U joints, wheel bearings, batteries, and brakes. A lot of times it isn't needed. Judge for yourself or have a knowledgeable buddy look at it. Don't trust someone's diagnosis when they stand to profit from it.
So true,took mine in last Wednesday to get the check engine light taken care of.
I knew it had to be one of the sensors so I was ready for that diagnosis.

They come back after an hour an half telling me 2 oxygen sensors (check engine light) and I needed: new battery (battery weak ),spark plugs and air filter needed so it will run right after the sensors are replaced.They wanted to charge me $300.00 for the extra stuff....I asked if the spark plugs were made of gold?The battery was $125.00 and I phased him out when mention the air filter's price.

I told them just the sensors to fix...than took it to Firestone to get a new battery and air filter for $120.00

2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Metallic Khaki
2009 VW GTI
MsGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #8
taphorn
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I second the call for a trip to Firestone. My buddy with an F250 recently moved up to Washington took it in for an oil change. When he picked it up they said he had the wrong type tires on it for a 250. (he bought tires a year ago from firestone in salt lake). Anyway long story short they changed out his tires for the correct type for no charge. Pretty stand up company in my opinion.
taphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
Davecore555
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Talked briefly to a transmission place today and they said they have seen the same issue and it was just a bad crankshaft sensor. But they said they would still check my transmission out for free. They said the $3,000 quote for the rebuild was way over. They said even with a whole new rebuild the most would be about $1200.

If the above is needed (yoke, pcm etc). Would it be smarter to just go with a SYE kit and are there any aftermarket PCMs that i should look at since I would have to spend the $$ anyway?
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, its the sensor. I had the same problem. its a $30 fix. the dealerships always say everything is broken
TrentYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Davecore555
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am hoping that is what it is.

Is replacing the Sensor easy? I'm no mechanic but I do my own tune ups and such. I just lack a lot of the necessary tools to complete some modifications.

Also if the PCM is bad does anyone know of any reputable sites to order. I found a few below but not sure:
They say they program to your VIN and mileage and tranny.

http://autocomputerexchange.net/1999...gler-1050.html
http://store.allcomputerresources.co...m19942006.html
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
freedommachine
1930 XK Commander 

Its called stealership for a reason. Not long After I bought my TJ I called the dealership to quote me a price on dana 35 axle shafts. One was susposed to be 470 bucks and the other over 500. And thats just stock 35 shafts. I also ripped my rubber fill plug and needed a new one in a hurry, went to the stealership and paid like 10 bucks whenI could of got if offline for like 2 bucks. The stealership scares me!
freedommachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The sensor is a clip and 2 bolts it'll take you 5 mins. Your PCM probably isn't bad i thought mine was too but it was just a few sensors. Pcm's are pretty expensive($200-300) so a junkyard is probably your best bet if that's actually what it is.
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
TrentYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^the sensor is on the bellhousing btw if its an "AX" tranny not sure on autos but probably the same.
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
bigred33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecore555 View Post
I am hoping that is what it is.

Is replacing the Sensor easy? I'm no mechanic but I do my own tune ups and such. I just lack a lot of the necessary tools to complete some modifications.

Also if the PCM is bad does anyone know of any reputable sites to order. I found a few below but not sure:
They say they program to your VIN and mileage and tranny.

http://autocomputerexchange.net/1999...gler-1050.html
http://store.allcomputerresources.co...m19942006.html
Oh boy. My 99 4banger was down for 7 months while I was trying to get it running from an ignition problem. Crank sensor is easy.

Aftermarket/reporgrammed PCM do NOT like mopar parts. I put one of those ACE ones in and it fried hot my alternator and 5 ignition coils (1 napa, 3 mopar). Couldn't figure it out until getting the old PCM back in and a jeep ignition coil and that was it. With that, I'm very leary of the PCM you can get online. Cheaper by far, but I'll never buy another one.
bigred33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.