Gas tank cleaning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Gas tank cleaning

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 05-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Cobra21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gas tank cleaning

I just bought a YJ a few months ago. I have no history on it so I have no idea how long it has been sitting. I need to clean out the gas tank and was wondering what was the best way to do that. If you have done this before what did you do and use? Did you have to drop the tank? and which process get the best results?

Cobra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would drop the tank if the old gas is in question and there is a question on debris inside.
Is the gas that is in there smell bad? hard to suck out the old gas from these things. How about sucking the old gas out and putting in some fresh stuff and re-sucking?
Dropping the tank is a bit of a pain but doable, have a friend help in holding it while you unbolt it. Just make sure you are very careful when your disconecting the plastic clips that holds the hoses on the tank since they are old and will probably be brittle.
Pull the pump and it will be easy to see inside and clean, which will lead to the next question, how old is your fuel pump? If i was going to pull the tank and pump, I would spend the money and put in a new one since you will probably need a new gasket for the pump assembly. Yea pumps assembly is expensive but do you want to do it over again if the pump fails next week?
My truck was recently involved in a accident and the bed had to be removed, so I replaced the pump from the top since it was exposed, pump had 70k miles on it,over kill ? maybe, but I just considered it part of my maintenance so that I wouldn't have to drop the tank.
The guys who invented in tank fuel pumps should be shot!
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
The guys who invented in tank fuel pumps should be shot!
The cost of some and labor is stupid money too. They should first be beat with the pump and have to drink the fuel from the tank.
Unread 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Cobra21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I got the jeep the fuel gauge was reading E so when I filled it up it took about 12 gallons. I though tanks on yj's were 15? So now I got roughly 3 gallons of crap and stuff in the bottom of the tank. I'm planning on trying to suck out the gas tomorrow. That's after I finish the brakes and everything. Ill see how much I can get out and then I might drop the tank. Thinking about getting a whole new setup. A new tank and fuel pump. Any idea how much that would cost?
Cobra21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not think there is 3 gallons of crud in it. You can clean a tank. Remove fuel, let it air out. wa**** out with soap and water; rinse. let it dry out again.

or buy a new tank. google is your friend.
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra21 View Post
When I got the jeep the fuel gauge was reading E so when I filled it up it took about 12 gallons. I though tanks on yj's were 15? So now I got roughly 3 gallons of crap and stuff in the bottom of the tank. I'm planning on trying to suck out the gas tomorrow. That's after I finish the brakes and everything. Ill see how much I can get out and then I might drop the tank. Thinking about getting a whole new setup. A new tank and fuel pump. Any idea how much that would cost?
Don't rely on gauge. If you want to know what it holds you have to run it dry. My guess is you had 3 gallons of gas left. Would be very typical of jeep gauges.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.