Fuel Pump replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Fuel Pump replacement

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
jlm0516
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel Pump replacement

My local Jeep dealership wants to charge $790 to replace a fuel pump in a 97 Jeep Wrangler 4 cyclinder. This seem kinda high, is it?

Thanks
~jlm

jlm0516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
bs1946
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Everything is high at a dealer. But don't worry, they'll give you a great trade-in deal right after you pay for the repairs.
bs1946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's not that difficult to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump. If you take your time it's a good afternoon project. For what the dealer is wanting to charge you, you could pay for a new pump AND a gas tank skid plate (Savvy, Rokmen, etc.) and still have a couple hundred dollars left over if you did it yourself. Maybe that thought will motivate you to make it a DIY project.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
jlm0516
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't mention that the dealership first told me it was the crankshaft positioning sensor and it was going to cost $306 to replace. I figured I was $100 into already for them just to look at it and the sensor is $100 bucks plus going to get the Jeep and get it home, 300 bucks sounded ok. So now I have to hash it out with them about charging me for a repair that did nothing to repair my problem. My neighbor, isn't a mechanic but builds race cars as a hobby, said he would help me fix it. I might take him up on his offer.

Thanks,
~jlm
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
jlm0516
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ is coming home. The dealership told me that when the fuel pump goes it's possible that it shorted out the crankshift position sensor. So, looks like I'll own that amount. The pump is $125 dollars, towing to get it home $75, Dealership is $306 and beer for me and my neighbor $20 = $526 vs $1096.

~jlm
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you're going to replace the pump, be sure whatever kit you get includes the filter as well. You don't want to have to go through this again if the filter needs to be replaced.

I replaced the entire fuel sending unit with one I got off rockauto.com for $160 and it was a simple remove/replace job. If you buy a pump/filter kit you will need to "rebuild" the fuel sending unit, taking it apart to replace the pump and filter then putting it back together. It's definately doable though.

Good luck.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
jlm0516
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
If you're going to replace the pump, be sure whatever kit you get includes the filter as well. You don't want to have to go through this again if the filter needs to be replaced.

I replaced the entire fuel sending unit with one I got off rockauto.com for $160 and it was a simple remove/replace job. If you buy a pump/filter kit you will need to "rebuild" the fuel sending unit, taking it apart to replace the pump and filter then putting it back together. It's definately doable though.

Good luck.
I am ignorant on the fuel filter for 2.5L 97 TJ. Is it the sock filter on the bottom of the pump?

Thanks,
~jlm

Last edited by jlm0516; 06-30-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump assembly drops into the fuel tank. It includes the pump, fuel filter/strainer, and fuel level sending unit. If you're replacing the pump, you should replace the filter. Or for a few bucks more you can replace the whole assembly.
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
jlm0516
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the pump I bought.

The pump assembly is $170 more and no one has it in stock.
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

If I were you id check places like Advance Auto or Auto Zone for a direct replacement. Also check some aftermarket companies online like Summitracing.com and it may be even cheaper. I replaced the fuel pump on my last car, an LS1 Z28, for under $150 and it was a high performance pump. I also did all the work myself which took about 30 minutes. The reason it didnt take very long is because I took a huge short cut. I pulled the carpet up, then cut a little trap door through the metal of the trunk exposing only the portion of the fuel tank where the pump is. After that it took me less then 10 minutes to swap a fuel pump. I did it the hard way the time before and it was a pretty tuff job I wouldnt want to do again. Hince why I sawed a hole through my car the second time. Dont regret it one bit.
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Next time check out www.rockauto.com. I thought the replacement Airtex assembly for your application was $170.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.