frustrated...cannot turn off security system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > frustrated...cannot turn off security system

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Omahajeepguy
2002 JK Wrangler 

frustrated...cannot turn off security system

I dont know much about jeeps so this is probably a stupid question. I bought the jeep three years ago from an out of town dealer (on the web). I checked out ok, but I did not think to ask about whether it had a security system. 6 months later, what appears to be a security system started going off in the garage. I was not home so my wife just left it. When I got home, the battery was dead. When I tried to jump it, the security system came back on. I have no fob to turn it on/off, nor is there any type of owners manual. Any ideas for getting past the security so I can start it (and then rip the security system out)?

Omahajeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
gmc01redtj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

look for a hard wired toggle switch. and or push button switch under the dash maybe by the fuse junction. i work on cars and this crap happens a lot you will need to look hard.
gmc01redtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would get under the dash and start looking for the main control box, and start following the wires to the ignition and any other place it goes to. When you find the ends, start removing the wires. There should be at least one wire that has been spliced into the ignition wire, remove and resplice it, it should be obvious. Then take the control box and throw it in the trash, it will work better there
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
gmc01redtj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The ignition wire will be bigger than all other wires.not knowing or seeing it. Tread with caution. If you have a reset button hold that with the key in the ignition in acc the sta while holding. After that rip it out.
gmc01redtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
Sativa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I recently ran into an issue with an alarm my jeep came with. On mine I have a push button, and a toggle switch next to each other on the driver side floor board. Put the key in the on position, don't start it, hold the button for 3-5 seconds, and in my case I put the toggle switch down. I also read you can take out a fuse in the wiring behind the lower shroud.
Sativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
fran55343

I had an alarm like this on a car once----before there were electric key fobs. There's a toggle switch hidden somewhere around the dash area most likely. It has to be in a place where a thief cannot easily find it, yet still be easy enough for you to shut it off. Check the glove compartment area maybe. If it can be locked, then that's where it is.
fran55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran55343 View Post
I had an alarm like this on a car once----before there were electric key fobs. There's a toggle switch hidden somewhere around the dash area most likely. It has to be in a place where a thief cannot easily find it, yet still be easy enough for you to shut it off. Check the glove compartment area maybe. If it can be locked, then that's where it is.
Yes, probably just a toggle switch. My first new car had a dealer installed alarm. Today it's my mom's car and several years ago the stupid alarm would not deactivate, and of course the company that built it was no longer in business. So a cousin stopped by who works for a car dealer. In about two minutes he had removed the toggle which was under the panel under the steering wheel. To think I probably paid $500 for an alarm that was removed in two minutes. He told me that for his dealership, it was common practice to always remove the alarms on cars that they took in on trade.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.