JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   frustrated...cannot turn off security system (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/frustrated-cannot-turn-off-security-system-1544964/)

Omahajeepguy 07-04-2013 03:20 PM

frustrated...cannot turn off security system

I dont know much about jeeps so this is probably a stupid question. I bought the jeep three years ago from an out of town dealer (on the web). I checked out ok, but I did not think to ask about whether it had a security system. 6 months later, what appears to be a security system started going off in the garage. I was not home so my wife just left it. When I got home, the battery was dead. When I tried to jump it, the security system came back on. I have no fob to turn it on/off, nor is there any type of owners manual. Any ideas for getting past the security so I can start it (and then rip the security system out)?

gmc01redtj 07-04-2013 03:34 PM

look for a hard wired toggle switch. and or push button switch under the dash maybe by the fuse junction. i work on cars and this crap happens a lot you will need to look hard.

joe108 07-04-2013 09:51 PM

I would get under the dash and start looking for the main control box, and start following the wires to the ignition and any other place it goes to. When you find the ends, start removing the wires. There should be at least one wire that has been spliced into the ignition wire, remove and resplice it, it should be obvious. Then take the control box and throw it in the trash, it will work better there :)

gmc01redtj 07-04-2013 10:01 PM

The ignition wire will be bigger than all other wires.not knowing or seeing it. Tread with caution. If you have a reset button hold that with the key in the ignition in acc the sta while holding. After that rip it out.

Sativa 07-07-2013 10:21 PM

I recently ran into an issue with an alarm my jeep came with. On mine I have a push button, and a toggle switch next to each other on the driver side floor board. Put the key in the on position, don't start it, hold the button for 3-5 seconds, and in my case I put the toggle switch down. I also read you can take out a fuse in the wiring behind the lower shroud.

fran55343 07-11-2013 05:42 PM

I had an alarm like this on a car once----before there were electric key fobs. There's a toggle switch hidden somewhere around the dash area most likely. It has to be in a place where a thief cannot easily find it, yet still be easy enough for you to shut it off. Check the glove compartment area maybe. If it can be locked, then that's where it is.

grogie 07-14-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fran55343 (Post 15667261)
I had an alarm like this on a car once----before there were electric key fobs. There's a toggle switch hidden somewhere around the dash area most likely. It has to be in a place where a thief cannot easily find it, yet still be easy enough for you to shut it off. Check the glove compartment area maybe. If it can be locked, then that's where it is.

Yes, probably just a toggle switch. My first new car had a dealer installed alarm. Today it's my mom's car and several years ago the stupid alarm would not deactivate, and of course the company that built it was no longer in business. So a cousin stopped by who works for a car dealer. In about two minutes he had removed the toggle which was under the panel under the steering wheel. To think I probably paid $500 for an alarm that was removed in two minutes. :rolleyes: He told me that for his dealership, it was common practice to always remove the alarms on cars that they took in on trade.

The time now is 08:46 PM.