Front End Shaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Front End Shaking

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
nick_a20

Front End Shaking

I have a 99 jeep wrangler sport. 3 inch lift with 33's on it. Every now and then when I get at about 40mph the jeep just starts shaking like there's not tomorrow. Any idea on what's causing it?

nick_a20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

stuff on your steering and suspension up front is worn out. If its a very very violent shake that does not stop until the jeep stops its called death wobble.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
nick_a20

Anything specific in the front? It doesn't stop till I slow down a good bit, about 10 mph. It's going to the shop tomorrow, getting new tires. Any way you could tell me before tomorrow so I can let them know?
nick_a20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_a20 View Post
Anything specific in the front? It doesn't stop till I slow down a good bit, about 10 mph. It's going to the shop tomorrow, getting new tires. Any way you could tell me before tomorrow so I can let them know?
Go the TJ Tech section. Use the search function. There are thousands of threads about death wobble.

It can be one of many things. Best way to try to diagnose is dry steering test. If you search that term you'll find plenty of discussion.
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem. Every time it happens I tighten the lug nuts. For some reason my lugs loosen every few days but it stops my wobble until I can find a permanent solution.
DoughBro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm no expert, but I've had experience with death wobble (it happened all the time with my '06).

I don't know what shop you are going to--independent or a Jeep place, but if they want to simply replace the steering damper then expect it to be a temporary fix.

It could be a stabilizer bar, bad front u-joints, ball joints, etc. Death wobble is very hard to diagnose.

I finally got rid of my '06 because of it. I don't blame the Jeep itself. I blame the crappy roads here in Syracuse. The Jeep never went off road, but I was replacing front end components on a regular basis. And death wobble always kept appearing. Almost wrecked a few times because of it.
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem, same speed - I came on here, read about the "death wobble" - freaked me out -

I just had a bad u-joint. My ex's uncle put a new one on, no problem since. But no lift on mine, just stock.

Also, I don't know jack about anything. It was her uncle who figured it out and fixed it for me. But it only cost $70, so cool.

But do I get a star for contributing anyway?
jeepcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
dx9mike

I had a bad shake that would set in at 60-65mph. I changed the front tires and the steering stabilizer and I'm all set now. Check the track bar too. Could be a combination of things. I just happen to find my specific combination. Yours could be different.
dx9mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

jeepcreek when you say u-joint what exactly are you referring to? the only u-joints I can think of right now are in the driveshaft. do you mean ball joints? You could be right and I could be wrong and that would explain why I can't fix my wobble haha
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBro View Post
jeepcreek when you say u-joint what exactly are you referring to? the only u-joints I can think of right now are in the driveshaft. do you mean ball joints? You could be right and I could be wrong and that would explain why I can't fix my wobble haha
There are ujoints in your axle shafts also. Look inside the Cs behind your tires.
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #11
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, yall are right u joint number 26

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ax...rangler-tj.htm
Unread 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

Glad you got it fixed and that's all it was. I was going through the front axle joints every couple years.
Unread 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #13
jeepcreek
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ha - I can't believe I was actually helpful here Very glad to hear you got her fixed up.

If anyone knows where to post other random tips - my a/c unit was doing the whole "meltdown" bit because of the crappy wiring. Anyway, if you replace it, you just keep getting more crappy wiring that tries to melt the head again - so the solution is to toss in a fuse. That way the fuse blows (or melts), and you just put in another fuse or replace the whole melted trip fuse unit from the auto parts store.

Now, if anyone knew of a FIX to the stupid bearings that are plaguing the TJ 4.0L engines without having to replace the whole thing. Wish they had one of those DaVinci laser medical surgery things that could just go in there - you could type in "Chrysler SUCKS!!!!" and it would just fix what they did to screw up one of the most reliable workhorse engines ever. I would be interested to know HOW they screwed that up - was metal too expensive, so they used whatever marbles were lying around? (Guessing that's what bearings are?) Just sucks my poor Jeep is struggling to keep oil pressure, and sucks worse how much it's gonna cost me to replace the engine over something that stupid.
jeepcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.