Forever Black GARBAGE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Forever Black GARBAGE

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Forever Black GARBAGE

This garbage is a complete waste of time and money,It makes more of a mess than you had PLUS you can't paint over it!One car wash and its all speckled with white spots all over the flares.

Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
krawler00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bumper trim paint. Satin finish. Can't go wrong.
krawler00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I also had bad results with with that stuff; it sucks! After cleaning and prepping well, I tried it on my stock flares (three to four coats) and it didn't last long and my Jeep is garaged. When filling my tank, I splashed a little gas on the flare and it took the finish completely off. FYI, it does come off with acetone, so you should be able to paint them. I ended-up just replacing the flares....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm too allergic to paints to use them.I'm going to buy a replacement set.Its ashame though because these are like new but were just faded,now they look terrible.
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your replacements will fade too if you don't treat them with something.
Forever Black if I remember right doesn't have any UV protection in it, so it's snake oil. Might as well use peanut butter.
Get some good vinyl and plastic cleaner, get em clean, then put some proper protectant on. 303 comes to mind as a good one.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Made with new plastic polymers that resist fading better than OEM! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...spagenameZWDVW
Unread 05-23-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
sportcoupe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Run a heat gun over your factory flares, they will quickly turn back to black and stay that way for a long time. It's safe to do on the Jeep too, the heat gun won't be near the paint long enough to do any damage.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
BucketOKarma
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
Run a heat gun over your factory flares, they will quickly turn back to black and stay that way for a long time. It's safe to do on the Jeep too, the heat gun won't be near the paint long enough to do any damage.
Will that really work? Anyone able to second this method?

www.MilitaryJeepers.com
http://groups.jeepforum.com/CT_Jeeps
www.SiSOffroad.com
BucketOKarma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
jake-cutter
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would also like to know if the heat gun works? I have tried the forever black crap, it is a waste of money. My Bushwacker fender flares need some reviving. I tried to use the warranty, and that was a no go.
jake-cutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Remington
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've tried this (the heat gun method), and it DOES work, but didn't yield an even color, and would have taken FOREVER...

I ended up getting a can of Krylon. For 4 bucks, an hour later they looked brand new..
Remington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

we used to do it at work and yes it works...also a great way to fix small scratches in your flares is to heat them up quickly and lightly with a torch...they will smooth out quite a bit but be careful with the torch

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
I'm too allergic to paints to use them.I'm going to buy a replacement set.Its ashame though because these are like new but were just faded,now they look terrible.
why not just take your flares off and have a family member, neighbor, random guy down the road take 5 minutes to spray them for you ? beats buying a new set.... I painted mine using duplicolor bed liner and it leaves a nice flat black textured finish, very easy to touch up when the flares rub against a tree or rock too
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
pilot-one
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketOKarma View Post
Will that really work? Anyone able to second this method?

It works great and is much better than painting. You have to have a steady hand and move evenly and overlap passes much like painting.
It takes around 15 minutes or so for each flare.
Gravity Rat #149

But what do I know? I don't really even have a Jeep. I just make it up.
pilot-one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
It's not going to be fun taking off 11 year old fender flares. Spinning bolts never are. Just get them painted.
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member #450 - Some mods...
NJJA - New Jersey Jeep Association

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
slate210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2008, 03:00 AM   #15
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the krylon fusion paint thing two years and it's still holding up well. Looks like I did it yesterday and holds up to the pressure washer.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.