Folded windshield to drive or not to drive? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Folded windshield to drive or not to drive?

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 01-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Folded windshield to drive or not to drive?

so last summer (yeah, its cold as **** right now) i took a day and folded my windshield and stuff down, drove it around the block and stuff just to see how it was. and DAMN it was fun! but in fear of getting a ticket or something from the police i didn't go on any main roads (i also had no mirrors yet... need to get some).
so what I'm asking, (hopefully Illinois people can answer this. but i would like to hear what others know about it as well) is are the windshields able to be folded like the doors come off (law wise) since it was designed like that from the factory?
i really want to drive around door less and windshield less but I'm not sure if its technically legal yet

Jblankster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

in IL as long as you have 1 mirror that can see 200ft behind you then you are fine
Unread 01-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Me007gold

in texas, you dont need a winshield, however you do need wipers if the vehicle came with them(at least to pass saftey inspection).
Me007gold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
Rayd
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Eye protection is a must have.
I'm planning to run the windshield done on some trails this summer, however I'm to chicken to run like that on the road. Had too much stuff hit my windshield over the years, I would feel like a sitting duck.
Rayd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Little Green
1991 FSJ Wagoneer 

Long time motorcyclist have all been hit by flying crap. I once hit a bird on the interstate on my motorcycle. Thankfully I was on my Buell and was wearing a helmet. Bent down at the last second and the bird wacked me on the head, almost knocking me off the bike. Another time in Florida I hit some crazy, giant orange grasshopper which was about 3 inches long. Thank God for sunglasses(my Harley that time). I have no doubt that even at the 45-50 I was riding at the grasshopper hitting my eye would have cause significant damage to my eye. So moral of the story. Wear eye protection and make everyone in the Jeep make some too.
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

eye protection for sure. i just wanted to se ehow legal it was
Unread 01-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Google my friend. It is a lot better than asking a bunch of "sea lawyers"

Click to View Search Results for Google (Search Results) Google (Search Results)
=

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green View Post
Long time motorcyclist have all been hit by flying crap. I once hit a bird on the interstate on my motorcycle. Thankfully I was on my Buell and was wearing a helmet. Bent down at the last second and the bird wacked me on the head, almost knocking me off the bike. Another time in Florida I hit some crazy, giant orange grasshopper which was about 3 inches long. Thank God for sunglasses(my Harley that time). I have no doubt that even at the 45-50 I was riding at the grasshopper hitting my eye would have cause significant damage to my eye. So moral of the story. Wear eye protection and make everyone in the Jeep make some too.
lol, ohh crap. I know this isn't funny and thankfully you wheren't hurt, but damn. I wonder what your face looked like when that bird or grasshopper smacked you. lol. I bet there was a lot of "WTF was that" goin on.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
Google my friend. It is a lot better than asking a bunch of "sea lawyers"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...Search&aq=f&oq=
tried it. those sites diddnt help me much. especially since im no good with that law lingo.

BUT from what i think it says, as long as my wipers are installed, and my winshield is ON the car, i can technically fold it down.
Unread 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
schatenjager
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've talked to several local cops about this and the Illinois Secretary of State's office. There is no consensus on it. About half the cops told me they'd pull me over for driving without the windshield up and half said they wouldn't. The Secretary of State told me that the law says that the windshield must be installed and working, which they took to mean UP. I argued that in a Wrangler, since it's designed to be folded down, it would still technically be working and installed correctly but they rejected that argument, telling me that the intent of the law and the word "working" is that it must be between the driver and the front of the vehicle to block debris and such. I told them that even folded, it was still in its correct position, had not been altered, and was functioning as it was originally manufactured to.

Short answer is depends on the cop. I never bothered to test it although I guess the ultimate test would be to drive around with the windshield folded down and, if you do get a ticket for it, to fight it in court and get a judges ruling on the phrasing of the law. I'd be very interested to know the results. I couldn't find any case-law that referred to an actual trial or judge's order on it though.

Still, the wording of the law, if taken literally, does not prohibit you from driving with the windshield folded down but it's very likely that you'd get hassled by the police about it, eye-protection or not.
Unread 02-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that helps a lot! well time will tell this summer since i plan to run with it down more than once like last year!
Unread 02-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
alittleoff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, common sense would say... on-road windshield up and "working".
Off-road in the dirt, windshield down, eye protection on for the safety of you and your passengers and others. Mine is up all the time, too many blind spots when it's down. Do you have a full cage?
alittleoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
Jblankster
2004 TJ Wrangler 

no full cage for me, im thinking about it. but right now theres more important things i need like a lift and tires etc

lol theres 2 other wranglers that were at my house but not in the pic
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've done it a few times without any problems. I ran around all day with it down during a large motorcycle event here last year with dozens of state & county cops all over and no one said a word.
Red Jeep club #8

97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
Was my daily driver, now son's college wheels.

Marseilles Fire Dept: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4461494...th/7659346164/
89YJmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
schatenjager
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I got from the Bolingbrook Police Department:

"Under Illinois law, the language you cite (“present”) means doing the job it was designed to do. For example, the vehicle needs to have a muffler but you cannot have it in the back seat and say you have complied with the law. The muffler must be attached, working etc… So your windshield needs to be up.

I am not an attorney, nor does the Bolingbrook Police Department profess expert knowledge on the topic. The above is my professional opinion."

I pointed out that in his example, the muffler was not installed, was not usable, and was not up to factory specifications but that the windshield in its "down" position would be all of those three. I never got a subsequent reply.

The Secretary of State had this to say:

"It does not appear that you may legally operate your jeep on the roadways with its windshield folded down. 625 ILCS 5/12-501 states "Every motor vehicle operated upon the highways of this State shall be equipped with a front windshield which complied with those standards as established pursuant to this Section and Section 12-502 of this Code. This subsection shall not apply to motor vehicles designed and used exclusively for off-highway use, motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, motorized pedalcycles, nor to motor vehicles registered as antique vehicles, custom vehicles or street rods when the original design of such vehicles did not include front windshields."

Since your jeep was not designed for exclusive off road use, you must have a windshield for driving. The reference to section 12-502 of the IVC does not exclude you from this requirement, as that Section refers to tinted wished and the like."

I still maintain that the language in this law, i.e., "shall be equipped with a windshield" is being complied with on a Wranger, folded up or down, since it's still "equipped" and has not been tampered with, removed, or altered in any way from it's original factory installation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.