Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

First time off-roading in my Jeep; any Jeep for that matter.

786 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DirtKar 
#1 ·
Since buying my Jeep a couple of weeks ago, I've been slowly fixing little things and adding some upgrades. Didn't want to take it off-road until I'd given it a good look over. Today I decided to take a quick run up into the mountains just over the border in Idaho. This is the first time I've taken a Jeep on a trail. I grew up on horses and then used dirt bikes and ATVs off-road.

Didn't do any difficult trails, but did take it on trails that I had to bypass in my full-size pickup and were mostly ATV and UTV trails. Learned that the 4wd does in fact work and that I hate carburetors off-road. Mine needs some minor adjusting; loads up while idling. Also learned that leaving it in 2wd and shifting it in 4-lo and 2nd gear is just about perfect for low speed crawling and helps keep the carb from loading up.

But, nothing broke, didn't tip over, and generally had a great time!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My brother's neighbor is in a Jeep club and they do trail rides quite often. My goal is to get hooked up with them and get the Jeep to the point of being capable of an extended trail run. I need to start getting spare parts collected, tool boxes installed, winch bumper and winch installed, etc. before I am comfortable going too deep into the wilderness.

#4 ·
Does your 4wd work or not?

#7 ·
Sorry if I sounded snippy, but I've been dealing with some very rude people that refuse to read a post and comprehend what is actually being said on a couple of different gun forums and your post came across as more of the same.

Yes, the 4wd worked. I pulled the transfer case lever into 4-hi and engaged the red-button cable lock and it worked great. Selecting the weird Wagoneer slide lever between 2wd and 4wd did nothing, made no noises, and there are no wires or other cables going into either axle that shouldn't be.

#8 ·
Cool. So it sounds like the slider can come out and stop confusing us all. :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.