First-time Jeep buyer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > First-time Jeep buyer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 03-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

First-time Jeep buyer

Sparing you all the I've-always-wanted-a-Jeep speech, suffice it to say I'm FINALLY in the market to purchase my first Jeep.

Quality examples tend to be a bit pricey around here, but my top contenders are as follows:

06 TJ Sport by
2006 TJ Sport
32,000 miles
Hard top/full doors
Auto
Asking $19,700; meeting to negotiate early next week
This Jeep is pristine -- looks like it's never been taken out of the garage. Bone stock.

08 JK Sahara by
2008 JK 2-door
61,200 miles
Hard top/full doors
Auto
Asking $22K, negotiated to $18,200
This Jeep has a couple of fist-sized dents in the left rear quarter and a few deep scratches in the fender flares.

Any thoughts? Things to watch out for? I've read and reread the thread on the OPDA issues on '05 and '06 TJs; still not clear on how widespread this issue is.

I'm definitely leaning toward the ultra-clean TJ, particularly since the JK is burdened by the 3.8-liter engine. That said, should I give the JK more serious consideration? Sitting in it, the JK felt HUGE by comparison.

2009 JKX - Stock, for now ...
My videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKB...AoLi1Zg/videos
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
RacecarBMW
2012 JK Wrangler 

The images aren't showing, I'd probably go with the TJ, is the JK a 4 door?

No but honestly a TJ in such good shape vs a pretty much abused JK I think the decision is obvious.

Personally having owned both the JK is a better daily commuter but in your situation I would take the TJ.
RacecarBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They are both a bit pricy. I'd get the tj for sure. That being said, I usually don't buy things based on price, first, but based on want and need. If the tj is super clean, as in perfect, then go for it. Try to get him to go a little lower though.
Unread 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

They're both two-doors -- the only kind of Jeep I'd own. (No disrespect for you JK Unlimited fans.)

I wouldn't go so far as to say the JK has been abused, but it definitely shows a little wear and tear. I've driven a TJ before, but this was my first time even sitting in a JK. I suppose the only thing even giving me any pause about the TJ is the potential OPDA issue. That said, the dealership offering it boasts a lifetime powertrain warranty for used vehicles under 100K miles, so I could be worrying over nothing.

I'm obviously wanting to get the TJ lower than the nearly $20K asking price. I tried to feel out the price issue over the phone, but he wouldn't talk price over the phone. Since I've been working seven-day weeks for two months now, it'll have to wait until I take a vacation Jeep-shopping day on Tuesday.

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did a quick NADA search and the TJ is right on the #'s price wise if it is indeed super clean. That being said, you should be able to knock 'em down $1,000 or so. Jeep prices vary greatly by region so I like to use nadaguides.com as a tool. They seem to be much more accurate than KBB.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

I was heavily leaning toward the TJ, but yesterday I found an '09 JK with 17K on it, and got the price down to just over $10K! It had some very minor hail damage to the hood, but I'd planned an AEV hood if I got a JK anyway.
image-518829960.jpg  

Unread 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Scoop
2013 JK Wrangler 

Congrats! You'll like the JK.
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That does seem like a good deal, but that tj is just so clean.
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

I know, it was a hard choice, particularly given my taste for TJs. But given the price, the low miles AND the fact that it had half-doors won out.

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
RacecarBMW
2012 JK Wrangler 

Congratulations that's a good looking JK! So what are you planning on changing up first?
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarBMW View Post
Congratulations that's a good looking JK! So what are you planning on changing up first?
Thanks! Sadly, it'll likely be a while before I do much of anything substantial. My wife has some medical bills that'll have to be paid off before I can set aside any "play" money.

Once the weather warms up, I'll pull off the "X" and the dealer sticker on the tailgate -- might go ahead and debadge the rest of it, too. I'm thinking of getting old-school Jeep stickers in bright silver to go where "Wrangler" is now.

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
YJinAZ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When you go to take off those stickers/decals consider using a heat gun. I got one a Harbor Freight and zipped all the crap off my YJ with minimal effort. Heat 'em up to soften the adhesive, then scrape carefully. Some will just peel off once you get an edge started.

Last edited by YJinAZ; 03-25-2013 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
YJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Adam013085

Unless you put some $ down, chances are that JK won't be available Tuesday when you get a chance to go look at it. Jeeps priced like that move extremely fast generally (unless there is something wrong)
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
RacecarBMW
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Thanks! Sadly, it'll likely be a while before I do much of anything substantial. My wife has some medical bills that'll have to be paid off before I can set aside any "play" money.

Once the weather warms up, I'll pull off the "X" and the dealer sticker on the tailgate -- might go ahead and debadge the rest of it, too. I'm thinking of getting old-school Jeep stickers in bright silver to go where "Wrangler" is now.

Don't worry just take the doors and roof off when the weather is nice. That should be more than enough fun

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.