First Time Going Off Road....Advice? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > First Time Going Off Road....Advice?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #31
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceOfDaPwnd

I would rage quit life if I lost my jeep.....

No insurance covers loss of jeep to off roading and water holes lol
Had to rebuild my engine

evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sometimes it's deeper than it looks
422843_10150498304093078_504068077_7585901_200245467_n.jpg  
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #33
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

I too am looking to go wheeling in my Rubicon (3" lift, 33" Nitto's on 20"s) and am reading some great advice here. But I didn't see it mentioned as to why no shifting/starting/clutching in deep water? Is it also advisable to lower tire pressure when going over rocks as well? I'm hoping to find a bunny slope here in MO to get my Jeep dirty this weekend
screameans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #34
evanjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did it to mine when i sunk it because i didnt know. When you mash the clutch nothing will happen because it just spins doesnt catch
evanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Air down your tires. You may need to scout out a gas station or somewhere else to air back up beforehand.

If you are completely new to wheeling, the Jeep will do more than you would believe. But that being said, stay within your comfort level for now.
TripLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripLeader View Post
Air down your tires. You may need to scout out a gas station or somewhere else to air back up beforehand.

If you are completely new to wheeling, the Jeep will do more than you would believe. But that being said, stay within your comfort level for now.
I have a decent power inverter and a nice compressor. I may be able to use that to get my tires back up but definitely good advice about the gas station.

I definitely know my limits and feel that mud, shallow water, and some lightly rocked hills are my targets at the moment.

**Edit**

Actually, just opened up my storage area and found that I have the factory jack...I'm not sure this thing will reach in order to lift my Jeep lol. Guess I'm jack shopping.
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #37
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A consolidated list:

-NEVER go alone, especially if it's your first time.
-Always let the experienced person go first, observe how they go through the trail.
-Get a high lift jack- you will need it eventually, and more often than not, it's right after you get it, or when you take it out.
-Get a tow strap. Not with metal hooks, a strap, 30,000lb is preferred.
-Bring SNACKS, always. Because the trail munchies are the worst. Don't forget water.
-Make sure your cell phone is charged.
-Fill your gas tank.
-Air down your tires, 20-25psi will be perfectly fine with those tires.
-Keep in gear when in deep water. If you stall out, let it die, restart in gear. The JK's should have a clutch cancel start in 4 low.
-Use your head above all. If you think you can't make it through, you probably can't. That doesn't mean your Jeep won't be able to motor through, worst case scenario is you have your buddy drive through it.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #38
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
A consolidated list:

-NEVER go alone, especially if it's your first time.
-Always let the experienced person go first, observe how they go through the trail.
-Get a high lift jack- you will need it eventually, and more often than not, it's right after you get it, or when you take it out.
-Get a tow strap. Not with metal hooks, a strap, 30,000lb is preferred.
-Bring SNACKS, always. Because the trail munchies are the worst. Don't forget water.
-Make sure your cell phone is charged.
-Fill your gas tank.
-Air down your tires, 20-25psi will be perfectly fine with those tires.
-Keep in gear when in deep water. If you stall out, let it die, restart in gear. The JK's should have a clutch cancel start in 4 low.
-Use your head above all. If you think you can't make it through, you probably can't. That doesn't mean your Jeep won't be able to motor through, worst case scenario is you have your buddy drive through it.
Excellent! I really hope I'm not hijacking this thread and hopefully the OP will find this useful.

Funny you mention about the jack; as my last post was edited about that. I'm going to try the 4L starting procedure from the safety of my drive way tonight I need to get a tree protector so I'll add the tow strap to the list along with a jack.

*Edit*

Also just read this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...hread-1410631/

I suppose I better crawl under my Jeep to see exactly whats installed on there. I really hope I don't have to replace a cheapo lift kit that I inherited.

Last edited by screameans73; 08-30-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Unread 08-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
jfinlaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So, any pics or stories from your first time wheeling?
[SIZE="2"]Green Jeep Club #633[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Motorcharge;13870204]You had me at bacon wrapped. :drool:[/QUOTE]
jfinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #40
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

You don't want to use your clutch when you are in water because not only does water get in it causing it to slip, but sand, silt, and other debris can get between your plate and your flywheel and really cause issues.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:32 PM   #41
1991welder

Everybody pretty much covered it all as far as beginner habits but there are some others to learn as stated before...
1. Take it slow
2. Never go riding alone you'll need some one to help you if you get stuck and ive seen lifted trucks get stuck on stumps before so its not just mud you have to worry about
3. Keep your eyes open if you cant see the ground have your friend get out and spot it for you and guide you
4. Take recovery gear, hi-lift jacks are dangerous if not used right so be carefull
5. If you get stuck in mud dont keep spinning the tires your just digging a bigger hole
6. If your in a river or deep water or mud if your tail pipe is submerged dont shut of your engine unless you have to and if you do dont try and crank it untill your out of the water

7. The most important habit to have is fallow your gut feeling if your not comfortable DONT DO IT! Even if your buddy is telling you " you got this man go for it" say no i no wranglers have roll bars but its not worth the chance or a costly fix

Just go have fun and wear your seat belt keep an eye on your temp gauge and oil gauge and listen for drive train noises if anythings out of the ordinary cut it off and check it out hope this helped
1991welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #42
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wheelin in your underwear is pretty fun.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #43
1991welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper
Wheelin in your underwear is pretty fun.
Lmfao
1991welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #44
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinlaw View Post
So, any pics or stories from your first time wheeling?
Didn't happen

My friend *****ed out last min

I posted a thread to look for help and answers in my local area

IF anyone is in MASS and can help please let me know or PM me

I plan to go as soon as I find a spot........

I guess im on my own doign any of that
SilenceOfDaPwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #45
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

Found a nice little spot today in my home town
Wasn't exactly legal.....
But I got to do my first up a steep hill over rocks and thru tree branches beating the **** out of my paint job experience lol

Had to do a 46 point turn to get out but it was a lot of fun

Prob a 2 on the 1-10 scale but still
Not bad for on my own

Gf was scared crap-less tho lol
lissa-jeep.jpg  
SilenceOfDaPwnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice , off road , tips , trails

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.