First Time Going Off Road....Advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > First Time Going Off Road....Advice?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

First Time Going Off Road....Advice?

Hey guys

So my friend is taking me to a beginner / moderate area to go off roading locally
tomorrow and I am a little worried where as I have never done this before

I am looking for any advice and tips to get myself a little more mentally comfortable with the idea

I drive an 07 Wrangler X
(Picture included)

It's basically stock from what I can tell.
(Bought it used and found a few small things that the previous owner added on)
Example shock absorber is not stock on the front end of the Jeep and there is an "High Performance Off Roading Clutch" installed
According to the garage I took it to....

I am a total N00b and hope that the community here can give me tips tricks
Do's / Dont's

Thanks in Advance

jeep1.jpg  
SilenceOfDaPwnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

Relax and have fun.

Depending on terrain, the tires might be a concern...but just enjoy yourself. Have some recovery gear handy.

Did I say have fun, yet?
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

No matter what I'm gonna have fun lol

But I'm worried about the technical crap like when to switch **** off or if I should keep it in 4WD the whole time or not....

Have full gas for Weight etc..........

Tips?
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
robplumm
2012 JK Wrangler 

I always fill up...but that's b/c I always want to get home

Just keep it in 4wd...you'll know if you need 4lo. I usually drop it into 2wd if it's a long, easy stretch between "obstacles" Most easier trails will be that way...as you progress into tougher areas, you'll stay in 4wd the whole time.
robplumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

What about that electronic switch turn off next to the passenger airbag off light?
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Dont shift while in deep water if you have a manual transmission.
maniacal_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Based on my last experience try to test water level f you can. I almost wrote off my jeep lol.

That plastic skid plate thing will most likely get ripped off at some point lol. 4hi will be good if it's really steep incline use 4lo.

I'm not a pro so I can't provide technical advice for ya. Just have fun and make sure you have a change of clothes and shoes. Keep it in a plastic bag tight. And have your windshield washer fluid topped up.

There's the plastic thing. At some point if you're having a lot of fun you'll prob notice it's missing lol. that so far is my best and favorite mod
image-1110358500.jpg  
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not only don't shift, don't press the clutch pedal if you are in deep water. The jeep should start in 4-low with out pressing the clutch if you happen to stall.

Take recovery gear, doesn't matter how easy the trail is, if you are stuck you are stuck. It happens to the best of everyone. Don't do anything your not comfortable with, remember they are not paying for your car you are. The trail will be there when you are ready to come back and try it. Don't try to straddle tall rocks, get a wheel up on it and go over it that way, the last thing you need is being high centered on it, or puncturing something important like an oil pan.

I heard this once before and I feel it needs repeating. If this is your first Jeep and you are new to wheeling, the only limiting factor you will encounter is your puckered ***.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
SilenceOfDaPwnd
2007 JK Wrangler 

Some good advice so far

I would have never known about shifting

Yes it's a 6 speed manual trans.

I think its mostly gonna be driven over bumpy trails

Not much rain the past few days to worry about

How far can you submerge your jeep before you ruin the mechanics?

As for rocks and stuff I have no lift and 36" tires so not gonna push it with 0 experience on that front...
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

By the looks of your picture those are the stock 32s.

As far as water depth, I believe I recall something stating 19" stock. I wouldn't push it unless you have to, I would keep it bumper level or lower.

Nope, Jeeps website says 30"

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/trail_rated/
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Keep the manual tips coming guys, I have wheeled by auto Cherokee for awhile, but now the 6 spd rubi im driving I feel like a newb as well.

I also did not know not to shift in high water. What classifies high water? if the tranny is submerged?
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
I also did not know not to shift in high water. What classifies high water? if the tranny is submerged?
Same here. I'm sure I have shifted at some point while in water, or even pushed the clutch in. Still a lot to learn. Also didnt know that I could restart after a stall in 4wd without pushing the clutch in. I thought there was a sensor that stopped you from doing that. Still more to learn.

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
Same here. I'm sure I have shifted at some point while in water, or even pushed the clutch in. Still a lot to learn. Also didnt know that I could restart after a stall in 4wd without pushing the clutch in. I thought there was a sensor that stopped you from doing that. Still more to learn.
You can start it in gear when in 4lo, 4hi still requires the clutch to be pressed in.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceOfDaPwnd View Post
...there is an "High Performance Off Roading Clutch" installed According to the garage I took it to...
What is a "High Performance Off Roading Clutch"? Did this garage install it for you? If they didn't, how do they know what clutch is in it?

You've gotten some good tips so far. The only thing I'll add is don't be afraid to say no. Don't let anyone talk you into something that you don't feel comfortable with. It's your rig. You are paying for it and you will have to pay for anything that breaks. As you do more you will develop confidence in what your rig will do and have a better understanding about what it won't do.
Unread 08-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post

4wd low only. It is a darn handy feature.

If you do plan on doing good water crossings extend your axle breather tubes, you don't want water or silt in there either.

A few other key things.
Wear your seat belt, if you have a CB radio take it, take garbage bags and toilet paper, be sure you have the tools to throw your spare on if you pop a tire, and most importantly tred lightly. The trails are marked, follow them. Blazing your own path is what gets trails and parks shut down.

Tags
advice , off road , tips , trails

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.