Fake Willy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Fake Willy?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
rjlaraway
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Fake Willy?

Planning on looking at this 2005 TJ today after work. I know Willy is just a trim package, stickers and camo seats. But I think this one is a knock off Willy. Looking online I'm seeing most Willy's for sale have a W for the 6th VIN digit. This just has a 3 (for X model). Would this concern anyone? Anyone with a Willy confirm my VIN designation?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...74757268&Log=0

rjlaraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think it would be hard to fake this stuff.

Willys Edition - 2004-2005
* 4.0L I-6 engine
* Exclusive Moss Green exterior color
* Water resistant Camo and black seats
* Unique "WILLYS" decal at cowl side
* Diamond plate rocker guards painted Dark Green
* Body-color fender flares
* AM/FM stereo radio with CD player and seven speakers (includes subwoofer in center console) - no extra charge
* 4.0L Power Tech I-6 engine
* Tow hooks
* Fog lamps
* Full-size spare tire with matching wheel
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As far as the VIN goes, I cant find anywhere that shows the "special edition" info shown in the decode, only the model; SE, sport, Sahara, Rubi.
Unread 08-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think you'd have to see the build sheet to know for sure.

Did you look at the carfax for it?

Has a couple weird things that may or may not be a concern.

It looks like a dealer bought it at a factory sale, put it in their inventory and first sold it in 2007. That is possibly a dealer or a family member driving it on dealer plates, then eventually selling it.

The only somewhat weird part is AAMCO service in July of last year. Maybe that is just front or rear end service or could be a clutch, could be a trans rebuild. I would at least want to inquire about that. It is also possible that some AAMCO shops do oil changes. I would call that shop and ask them to look up the vehicle and see what they did to it. It shows it being in that shop twice within months.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
rjlaraway
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's a good call, I just saw no accidents and two owners but didn't think too much about the AAMCO piece. I'll call tomorrow.

I wasn't sure why someone would want to knock-off a Willys edition, but apparently it happens. The Willys only groups on here and other forums require VIN ID to become a member. I know the newer Willys have a W in the 6th digit of the VIN but can't confirm that the TJ's followed the same pattern. The ones I'm seeing have a 3 in the 6th digit which denotes Wrangler X.

Test drove it today and it was really nice, and interior was perfect. I've been looking at many TJ's lately and this was the most rust free one I've seen. But there's no AC and unless they come down in price I don't think I'll move on it. Was a Ford dealership though and they seemed motivated to get an 05 Jeep off their lot, so we'll see.
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlaraway View Post
That's a good call, I just saw no accidents and two owners but didn't think too much about the AAMCO piece. I'll call tomorrow.

I wasn't sure why someone would want to knock-off a Willys edition, but apparently it happens. The Willys only groups on here and other forums require VIN ID to become a member. I know the newer Willys have a W in the 6th digit of the VIN but can't confirm that the TJ's followed the same pattern. The ones I'm seeing have a 3 in the 6th digit which denotes Wrangler X.

Test drove it today and it was really nice, and interior was perfect. I've been looking at many TJ's lately and this was the most rust free one I've seen. But there's no AC and unless they come down in price I don't think I'll move on it. Was a Ford dealership though and they seemed motivated to get an 05 Jeep off their lot, so we'll see.

If you send a PM to one of those guys in that Willys group, I bet someone would answer a VIN question.

I think the only way to know is if is says WILLYS GROUP ASSEMBLY or something like that on the build sheet.

If you take the VIN and send it to Jeep, they will send you a build sheet on it.
Unread 08-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The wheels aren't supposed to be black.
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
The wheels aren't supposed to be black.
I can't tell if they are black or not from the photos, should be green.
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

that dealer isn't far from me. didn't the willys come with white stickers? it looks like the stickers were replaced, that jeep sticker looks funky to me.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
rjlaraway
2005 TJ Wrangler 

They're green, saw it today. The only thing that makes me question it, besides the VIN, is that the decals and markings are black and all the TJ willys I've seen online have white decals, also the soft top is not the army green but it could be a replacement.
Unread 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

what abut the flares, are they grey plastic? aren't they supposed to be the wider, body colored flares like on the sahara?
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I now vote it is a fake.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

are those special editions really more valuable? that seems like a lot of cash to me.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdart View Post
are those special editions really more valuable?
To most people? No. But it only takes a few.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
rjlaraway
2005 TJ Wrangler 

you might have cracked the case jamesdart, the more convincing Willys online do have army green colored fender flares…and this one is black.

If it is a clone, it's got company. There seems to be a boat load of Willys clones out there.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.