• 1 Post By biffgnar
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-18-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
RicanLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Extended Warranty

Hello Gang,

I got a flyer in the mail from American Automotive Service Solutions offering an extended warranty for my 2004 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, auto with 115,000 miles.
They are asking $2,500 for a 4 years 40,000 miles Platinum Coverage, it covers bumper to bumper, 24 road side assistance, towing and car rental.

Is it worth it? Does anyone had any experience with this company? Is it too good to be truth?

It states on the flyer, all claims must be pre approved before repairs are made.

Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Don't do it. Aftermarket warranties are a complete rip-off. They will fight you on any and every claim, and supply your repair shop with the cheapest/crappiest junk they can find om any major repairs.
Joe Dillard likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 12 Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
RicanLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

When I talked to the sales rep, he said they only deal with Jeep Dealer or ASE certified shop.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Right. I worked in the parts dept. of many Jeeps dealers for many years. Whenever one of these aftermarket warranty companies are involved, they refuse to pay the shops going rates. They expect to only pay internal rates, pissing off everyone involved and leading to half assed repairs.
Then, for any major items that need replaced (motor, trans, axles, etc), they insist on supplying the replacement parts themselves. They WILL supply the cheapest used or poorly remanufactured junk they can find.
I can't tell you how many time's I've seen this happen, often leaving the customer without a ride for weeks and even months while the warranty company sends crap that is wrong or bad when it arrived at the dealership. Then the car would get pushed back outside for 2 more weeks while they try to find another junk part. I worked a GMC dealer for a while and we had a customer car down for over 3 months because they kept shipping us garbage steering racks and refused to pay for the factory one we had in stock. All this time without giving the customer a rental to get her around. Eventually, the customer caved in and paid for the factory part out of her own pocket (which we deeply discounted for her) and the warranty company only covered the labor at a cut rate.

It's a total sucker's bet, bordering on being a scam IMO.
Joe Dillard and grogie like this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 12 Old 12-18-2016, 08:05 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought an aftermarket warranty once on a vehicle. Worst experience of my life. They fight you on every claim and if they actually approve it, it will be for the cheapest replacement part with a labor rate that nobody can match. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Joe Dillard likes this.

Romney in 2020!
post #6 of 12 Old 12-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I checked the reviews & wouldn't pay $0.10 for any policy offered by them. For that matter, I wouldn't take a free one either.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-19-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
RicanLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you guys, I decided not to get it, thanks for your input
post #8 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 09:39 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I recently got a used F150 from a Ford dealer that was a trade in, and both the sales guy and finance guy tried really really hard to push the extended warranty. At one point one of them told me I "needed it", to which I stated , "well maybe I shouldn't buy this truck if its going to breakdown so much".

They both hushed after that.

If extended warranties weren't profitable, they wouldn't sell them. Just like going to buy electronics, appliances, tools, etc. If a tv or washing machine can't last longer than a year, I don't want it.
grogie likes this.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 12 Old 12-20-2016, 10:30 PM
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
I recently got a used F150 from a Ford dealer that was a trade in, and both the sales guy and finance guy tried really really hard to push the extended warranty. At one point one of them told me I "needed it", to which I stated , "well maybe I shouldn't buy this truck if its going to breakdown so much".

If extended warranties weren't profitable, they wouldn't sell them. Just like going to buy electronics, appliances, tools, etc. If a tv or washing machine can't last longer than a year, I don't want it.
The only extended warranty I bought was when I purchased a new car for my wife. The car came with a 36k warranty, but after that nothing. It included free loaner cars as well. Since I'm always gone for work, I figured it would save me a headache if something happened while I was gone. Nothing ever happened, but it was nice to know it was there.

That being said, the warranties sold at the dealership are much more legit than the ones sold through the mail, etc. I wouldn't touch those with a 10ft pole.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #10 of 12 Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My DD is an '09 Civic that I bought new. I had a similar conversation with the finance manager who was trying to get me to buy the extended warranties. It was comical, and he was frankly an *** when I kept saying no to his upsells. And I've had nothing go wrong with the car since then...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #11 of 12 Old 12-24-2016, 06:05 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Some years ago I calculated what I've saved over my lifetime of NOT buying extended warranties on ANYTHING (cars, motorcycles, electronics).

I've literally saved enough to buy a Rubicon in cash.

That's what I tell salesmen... It also ends the conversation.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #12 of 12 Old 01-21-2017, 07:35 PM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I had that same experience when I bought a 2013 Explorer from a Ford dealer. The fiance lady said the same thing that I "needed" the post consumer extended warranty. I said the same thing you did to her and she just stammer through another tact to sell it to me. I didn't bight it. That said I wished I didn't get that car, even under warranty the Ford Corrosion Warranty was a joke... I had rust and oxidation on the hood, decklid and lower doorskins on 2 of the doors... Ford told me it would only cover it if their were holes in the body.

I have a lifetime Ford warranty on my current Expedtion EL and I am happy to have it, I intend to drive the wheels off that thing. Lol

The post consumer warranty I had on my Powe Wagon was a very similar mess as we're discussed before. They wouldn't approve any factory parts and only **** parts. One of the many times I had to have the TRE's replaced the dealer service called me in and showed me what they sent them and they would not installed them they felt they were so shifty they were dangerous. I fought the warranty company but gave up and just bought the parts myself and paid everything. The **** warranty company wouldn't even cover any of the labor. At that point I I didn't care and I learned my lesson.

Never ever buy an extended post consumer warranty. I don't mind the factory extended ones IF you know you will be driving it for the long term.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.