Expedition Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Expedition Trailer

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Expedition Trailer

Would be towed behind my wrangler as an expedition/camping trailer on occasion.

Looking for a cheap platform such as a used military trailer that I could pick up and build on.

I believe that the tow rating is 2000 pounds?

Would you be able to get away with a rear bumper that has a reciever hitch AND tied into the frame, or do I need to get a hidden hitch/reciever setup?

Opinions? I am not going to shell out thousands of dollars to have stove/refrigeration/etc. More along the lines of a truck bed so I can have the extra supplies/firewood/etc.

Bedwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used an old Bantam Army trailer and put my rear seat facing backwards in the bed of the trailer. By the tail gate of the trailer, I have an Engel fridge. I use this set up for drive-ins or going fishing. I just back the trailer into the lake and cast! I like the openess of the trailer. Plus I use the trailer for camping. It holds alot of gear plus it weighs little and can be towed by my TJ with a hitch receiever in the Warn bumper.
wolves-107.jpg   wolves-108.jpg  
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconrich View Post
I used an old Bantam Army trailer and put my rear seat facing backwards in the bed of the trailer...
Nice camouflage paint job on the trailer too.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't post the right photos. Trying agin!
wolves-105.jpg   wolves-106.jpg  
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That bantam trailer is perfect for what I need. Unfortunately a quick search shows they are not easy to come by. Any ideas as to locating one?
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Didn't post the right photos. Trying agin!
Ah much better. I always liked those types of trailers but have never owned one though. Are you using the Pintle hook setup or the more tradition type?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Would an M101 or M416 work? Guy in my local club sent me this:

http://www.jeepexpeditions.org/equip...6_trailers.php
Unread 02-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found mine on Craig's List in Oregon. Mine was in awesome shape. No rust, body had two coats of paint. Green underneath and that gray over it. Price was $1500.00 I have a ball hitch on mine and had no problems offroad with it. I use a 'high' ball and it follows without me being aware of it. I find I use it alot, so I usually keep it on. The TJ and the trailer easily fits in a regular parking spot. An M101/416 is the Willy's version. Same specs.
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I found mine on Craig's List in Oregon. Mine was in awesome shape. No rust, body had two coats of paint. Green underneath and that gray over it. Price was $1500.00 I have a ball hitch on mine and had no problems offroad with it. I use a 'high' ball and it follows without me being aware of it. I find I use it alot, so I usually keep it on. The TJ and the trailer easily fits in a regular parking spot. An M101/416 is the Willy's version. Same specs.
So was the one you purchased homemade then? Your saying the ones I am looking at the Willys version? Can you give me a few pictures of the hitch setup?
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #10
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine is a 1943 Bantam Army trailer, nothing on it home made. I kept it all original.
Unread 02-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Quail
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heres mine, A total investment of $475
I bought a cheap used 4x6 trailer off Craigslist for $250 and after taking some measurements to figure out how much lift to be level with the Jeep I cut the suspension off and bought new leaf springs,hangers and shackels at Northern Tool, I fitted and welded it up in about 4 hours.
Since these pics Ive added armoured taillights and a small Delta toolbox on the front.
I highly reccomend going this route and the only thing that it really needs is a pintle hitch to be able to follow me "anywhere"
When shopping for a trailer, check the tounge length, One sweet thing about this trailer is that I can get it completely 90* to the jeep without any contact between the trailer and jeep. It makes it a little longer but its worth it to be able to manuvure on the trail.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Quail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the information, I would like something that is a little deeper tub wise and maybe a little more weight. I would think that would just bounce around pretty bad?
Unread 02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #13
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my trailer build - it's based off a little Harbor Freight type 4' trailer: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

I loaded it with camping gear and towed it to Moab and back last year (2200 miles round trip) and it pulled flawlessly. There are also other trailer builds on the JP forum; I posted one of them at the end of my build thread. I plan on taking it to Alaska this summer to haul camping gear and such. I'd love to have an old Army trailer, but they're a good bit heavier than what I built (plus not everyone is luck enough to find one that doesn't need a lot of work). Here's a picture of my completed trailer:
pumpkin-jeep-trailer-321.1jpg.jpg  
armyRN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Bedwell
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Here's my trailer build - it's based off a little Harbor Freight type 4' trailer: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/m...hread-1180456/

I loaded it with camping gear and towed it to Moab and back last year (2200 miles round trip) and it pulled flawlessly. There are also other trailer builds on the JP forum; I posted one of them at the end of my build thread. I plan on taking it to Alaska this summer to haul camping gear and such. I'd love to have an old Army trailer, but they're a good bit heavier than what I built (plus not everyone is luck enough to find one that doesn't need a lot of work). Here's a picture of my completed trailer:
If you don't mind me asking about how much did that run you total?
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #15
uncleroman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed! i am looking to do the exact thing. i have a jayco octane 24zx and i need to use my 3/4 ton truck to pull it.and it is officially for sale. i would rather camp out and away from others.
uncleroman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.