Engine braking in an automatic???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Engine braking in an automatic????

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
my question is why? is it really that out of control during descents?
I always use engine braking when driving here in CO. Both on the trail as well as mountain passes. Its not for having "more control" its to save the brakes from overheating.

I find I have more slowing power when using the transmission to control my speed more so than using the brakes.

Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLJ View Post
No.

On the topic: Engine braking with an automatic transmission is fine. Note that engine braking with the 42RLE automatic with heavy loads puts the transmission fluid way into over heating. A transmission cooler is required in those cases.

I think I would qualify that. I run a temp gage on a TF999 and have never had the transmission fluid get overly hot during engine braking off road, but you are correct it does increase the heat load.

The only time I've encountered heating was long (as in several miles) steep upgrades at road speeds, judicious use of 2nd gear brought the temperature back down (going down hill you want the opposite, keep it in high gear)

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:11 AM   #18
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

As all have said engine braking with an auto is fine and actually happens in normal operation. JUST BEWARE mid range rpms in third gear equal rod tossing spins in first. Our heaps are light enough that 2nd gear and light braking will keep them in control.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
JIMBOX
2008 JK Wrangler 

My engine /auto braking has increased dramatically since I've regeared and really helps when I'm towing my off-road trailer-

Makes long hills on the hiwy much easier on the brakes and off road phenomal !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #20
DeafJeep

This makes good sense. Subscribing to this thread.
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #21
Xpress
Not enough Lumens...

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I engine brake all the time, especially on the bike. I do it regardless of whether or not the vehicle is automatic or manual- hybrid or CVT equipped vehicles are bit more unique..
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsweatNgearz View Post
Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear Arms, SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I drive this on a regular basis

The other way to work is longer but only a 10% grade in spots.

First gear is required and you can tell at the bottom who hasn't downshifted by the brake smell. Even so I replace brake pads about twice as often in the TJ with the auto vs. the YJ that has a 5 speed. I did have to rebuild the trans in the TJ at 120k miles but that was for other reasons.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I engine brake all the time, especially on the bike. I do it regardless of whether or not the vehicle is automatic or manual- hybrid or CVT equipped vehicles are bit more unique..
There is no traditional 'engine braking' on a hybrid, but there is dynamic braking. Theoretically, using the 'brakes' to retard on a long grade will actually not use the brakes much at all but will use the electric motor to partially recharge the batteries.

That's one of the weird things about hybrids, you don't really control the brakes. Instead, depending on your foot pressure and speed, the system decides whether to use brakes, dynamic braking or a mixture.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #24
DeafJeep

This was in the 1940's. I am sure with the advances made in the Jeep since then has broken the charts but this should give you a good idea of what the Jeep of the 1940's could handle on a steep grade.

http://www.42fordgpw.com/grade.html
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #25
DeafJeep

This is for today's Jeeps from the official Jeep website.

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/off_road_guide/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.