engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > engine

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
jon2

engine

I know this may not be the place but I am lookin for a 4 cyl for my 96 Wrangler. Any help would be great. Summer is here and I wnt to drive with the too off !!!!

jon2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are looking for a ghost. You won't find one for a 96. The yjs ran till 95 and then the tjs ran from 97 to 2006.

Which do you have?
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
jon2

I think it is a yj. The sticker said it was made in 11 of 96. .new to this yj, tj, cj, stuff, sorry for the confusion on my end.
Unread 05-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have round head lights or square? Round is tj square yj. Does not really matter I don't think. Just look for a 91-I think to 98. Your looking for the later model 2.5l engine. There was an earlier version 2.5l that would work but have less power. Then there is also a 2.4l engine in the tjs but I doubt that's what you have.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Its gonna be a TJ. Early 97 TJs were made in late 96... its how a lot of manufacturers do things.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
jon2

Thanks. She has round lights so it a TJ. Appreciate the help out there. Do love jeeps tgough. Been drivin Cheerokees for last 7years and traded a Cheerokee Sport for this one, blown engine and all. Seen hee and had to have her. New top and paint, you know, just had to !!!!!!
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If I were you, Id probably consider looking into a 4.0L or something else.

Ive never done the swap; but it should be simple enough to gather the parts; what you need for it; and do it.

There is literally no reason to go for a 4cyl unless you like spending a few bucks less when doing spark plugs.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
jon2

True. Have given it some thought, badass little 6's. Have to put a 4.0HO if I went that way. But two more plugs? Man, just don't if I could afford that.
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be cheaper in the long run by replacing it with another four cylinder engine. If you wanted to put a 4.0 six cylinder in, you're also going to have to swap out the tranny and it's not a simple bolt-in affair. The four cylinder is more than adequate for most driving (not trying to turn this into a four vs. six cylinder debate), especially if you're just wanting to drive it during the summer with the top off. That's one of the best things about owning a Jeep - driving with the top off!
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

For quick and less expensive, swap in the same engine you have. Changes are always more work than you think.
also, strongly recommend either a reman or rebuild yours. A junkyard engine that old is unlikely to be worth the trouble.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.