Does a vehicle define ones personal life style - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Does a vehicle define ones personal life style

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
shouldn't that be the other way around? my lifestyle dictates what vehicle i have.

i never bought a jeep, or any other vehicle, trying to make myself something else
I absolutely agree with this. When I got my first vehicle, I wanted a vehicle capable of handling the gnarly winters and mountainous terrain we have up here, a vehicle that was also within my budget. So, naturally, Jeep was the first thing on my list. My lifestyle changed around my Jeep, not the other way around. Honestly, short of a Ford Raptor, there's no other vehicle I'd rather drive!

Unread 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #32
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

the original question was "does a vehicle DEFINE one's personal lifestyle"

Yes. definatly.

Jeeps and Harleys say "loves the outdoors, is willing to get thier hands dirty"
crotch rockets and ricers say "likes speed. and loud obnoxious music. and can fix plastic. sometimes."
Mercedes- "I'm better than you. In fact, I don't even notice you so why is everyone honking at me?"
tinted out lowrider Escalade- "there's a kilo of coke under the back seat"
minivans- 2.5 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat. just look at the back window.
10 year old chevy- my dad bought me this car.
20 year old chevy- my dad WOULDN'T by me this car.
4x4 pickup truck with rack- contractor. the more dings in the bed the better he is lol.
pickup truck with 4' bed, no 4x4- I'm a man. I swear. I drive a truck and everything.

i better stop before I offend someone...
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Throughout one week I can drive the following.....

My TJ
05 Mercedes C230
04 Taurus wagon
01 Ranger 4x4 step side

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:31 AM   #34
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The vehicle doesn't define the person. The person defines the vehicle.

At some point we all have driven vehicles we didn't like, but had to because that's what our lives required at the time (I've owned three minivans in my lifetime). At some point we, hopefully, have the ability to get the vehicle we WANT. The one that's US. For those here, it's a Jeep Wrangler. They fit who we are. We're outgoing. We enjoy the outdoors. We like to have fun. We're not afraid of getting dirty. We're not afraid to use our hands to get the job done.

My other vehicle is a Dodge Durango with the full blown tow package (8,950 tow rating). It's my work horse. Tows my camper, queens my Jeep, hauls anything I ask it to.

When my son was 15 we got him a YJ. Spent the first year getting her road ready. Spent the next year enjoying the fruits of our (mainly my) labor. After 2-3 times off road his string started showing. When the frame started to rot I flat swapped it for a '96 Grand Cherokee. Now two years later he's thinking he'd like another Wrangler. I'm thinking "hell no", he doesn't deserve it. He'll never use it for how it's intended to be used. He just wants to be "cool" in a Wrangler. F THAT! I'll buy him what he should be driving ---- 1986 VW Cabriolet.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
IdahoTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say that a lot of lifestyles define what vehicle you should drive. Whether the vehicle defines you is your choice. It did remind me of the classic difference between a porcupine and a BMW joke. Answer being that the porcupine has the pricks on the outside. Full disclosure - I also have a BMW - possibly applicable. I may drive my truck (1961 Chevrolet Apache, 50k original miles), my Audi Quattro Coupe, or my 64 Karmann Ghia. I have no idea what they say about me, but the Jeep is my first choice, mostly because that is what I enjoy most. I like the sunshine and the feeling that if I point it in pretty much any direction it will make it without any hesitation.
IdahoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

No, it's the other way around. The vehicle is an indicator of your lifestyle. Someone who works in the oil patch isn't driving a Porsche 911 to work everyday. Someone who works in an office might drive a Jeep Wrangler all lifted and running 35's to work, but I'll bet they are "outdoorsy" on the weekends, hunting, fishing, camping, wheeling, and what not.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #37
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You got it backwards. Your life style determines the car you drive not the other way around.
If someone gave me an H2 to drive I wouldn't turn into a self centered egotistical douchbag.

OK I wouldn't turn into a BIGGER one.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #38
eagle223

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan
the original question was "does a vehicle DEFINE one's personal lifestyle"

Yes. definatly.

Jeeps and Harleys say "loves the outdoors, is willing to get thier hands dirty"
crotch rockets and ricers say "likes speed. and loud obnoxious music. and can fix plastic. sometimes."
Mercedes- "I'm better than you. In fact, I don't even notice you so why is everyone honking at me?"
tinted out lowrider Escalade- "there's a kilo of coke under the back seat"
minivans- 2.5 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat. just look at the back window.
10 year old chevy- my dad bought me this car.
20 year old chevy- my dad WOULDN'T by me this car.
4x4 pickup truck with rack- contractor. the more dings in the bed the better he is lol.
pickup truck with 4' bed, no 4x4- I'm a man. I swear. I drive a truck and everything.

i better stop before I offend someone...
Please continue lol I think you were right on point
eagle223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
bdub1285
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've always been into outdoors stuff like hunting, fishing, offroading, etc... so my Jeep fits my lifestyle. I wouldn't say it defines it.
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #40
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
The vehicle doesn't define the person. The person defines the vehicle.
This is a circular argument that I can agree with. You define it and eventually, it starts to define you.

I rarely drive any vehicle that is not my jeep, except my bicycle which is a far second but still topless, doorless and windshieldless

Jeep-Owner.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #41
Kdeome
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a wrx with 300awhp/awtq, a 3sgte Mr2, an ap1 s2000, a wj limited w/32s and a lift, a wrangler and countless other cars. I buy what I like, move on when I'm bored. Plain and simple.
Kdeome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #42
bdub1285
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdeome View Post
I had a wrx with 300awhp/awtq, a 3sgte Mr2, an ap1 s2000, a wj limited w/32s and a lift, a wrangler and countless other cars. I buy what I like, move on when I'm bored. Plain and simple.
I had a 06 wrx with 400whp and a ppg dogbox. That car got me into too much trouble though. lol
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #43
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub1285 View Post
I've always been into outdoors stuff like hunting, fishing, offroading, etc... so my Jeep fits my lifestyle. I wouldn't say it defines it.
My fondness for my Wrangler is part outdoor interest and also the visceral mechanical purity. Simple exposed machinery, without fluff or luxury , a DIY dream.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.