Does shell v-power contain ethanol? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Does shell v-power contain ethanol?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
someschoolkid

Does shell v-power contain ethanol?

I know this has been asked before... But I need to bring it up. Can anyone in the Seattle area confirm if shell v-power is ethanol free? A Google search only yielded conflicting answers in other countries. I ask this because my local gas station must has started using ethanol since I just noticed a sticker on the pump.

Anyways, on the same day, same weather, same route and same traffic, I noticed that my fuel economy went from 24 mpg to 19.6 mpg, and the normally the car felt super, super, super gutless with nothing but another tank of gas. So, for this reason, I am now in search of putting gas in my tank, not corn.

someschoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:57 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Good luck finding gas without ethanol. I hate it too but you have no choice where I live.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

If the pump has the sticker, therefore it contains the "corn". V-Power is just an additive they add to it the fuel.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hard to find these days! All of the big name gas dealers use an ethanol blended gas. We have a few no name guys around here that actually post it on their large street signs that they are 100% gas with no ethanol.

Good luck with the search in your part of the country.
OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
Prot
Gold Member

2014 JK Wrangler 

Around here, some Shell stations have it and others don't.

Ethanol decreases my fuel economy by 3 mpg along with a big drop in power which is especially noticable while pulling my trailer.

When I pull my trailer while running ethanol I get 7-9 mpg. I don't normally complain about fuel economy but single digits suck. Needless to say I plan my route with my trailer in a way that minimizes the distances and speeds involved.
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
someschoolkid

Ok. Lets change this up a bit, forget shell... Is there any place to get (preferably) 91/93 octane within 15-20 miles of Redmond, WA? It's two fold for me... Cheaper to run mile per mile + I get an extra 100 miles per tank driving like I do. I would be willing to drive a bit further to get the good stuff.

And part two: Before you say that I don't need 91/93, I know how octane works, I know how engines work, I want to get a superchips flashpaq sometime in the near future to get a bit more torque in the down low so I'm don't feel like I shift as much as a semi truck. (oops, huge runon sentence)
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a "superchips" flashpaq and they are worthless in a TJ. You wont gain anything and end up spending $339. All its good for is reading DTC's.
I hate ethanol as well, There are ethanol plants all around me and wont run it in anything. I actually pay 10 cents more for 87 and get the best mileage.
The higher octane wont help in a tractor motor. Thats all the I6 is and has been churched up over the years. You can waste the money, But unless your motor is stroked with an aluminum head and a whole different fuel map its pointless. If its that much of a dog it either needs a tune up or a set of deeper gears, Most likely the gears. Good luck either way
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
someschoolkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
I had a "superchips" flashpaq and they are worthless in a TJ. You wont gain anything and end up spending $339. All its good for is reading DTC's.
I hate ethanol as well, There are ethanol plants all around me and wont run it in anything. I actually pay 10 cents more for 87 and get the best mileage.
The higher octane wont help in a tractor motor. Thats all the I6 is and has been churched up over the years. You can waste the money, But unless your motor is stroked with an aluminum head and a whole different fuel map its pointless. If its that much of a dog it either needs a tune up or a set of deeper gears, Most likely the gears. Good luck either way
My bad... I didn't mention this, but it will be for the minivan-JK-engine. I LOVE my 4.0, it does the job very nicely.

I have heard that the superchips thing actually does quite a bit
Unread 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That changes it all lol.

I have no experience with them except i did install a pro cal/sprint booster for a friend, Cuts the drive by wire lag to instant throttle response. The sprint boost ones IIRC are adjustable too. He said it made it night and day after a couple weeks of DD it.
Good luck either way
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ethanol has ultimately replaced lead and MTBE as an octane booster. Want less ethanol? Use the lowest octane fuel you can get that won't cause pinging. Unless the engine is specifically designed to run ethanol blends, the more ethanol in the fuel, the worse mileage you'll get.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #11
someschoolkid

Then why is it that shell, for example, used to claim that their v-power, premium gasoline was E0?

As for brand, I used shell since it was on the top of my head. I don't care what brand it is as long as it's good, and as long as it's gas.
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
someschoolkid

Quesiton on if this will work: I take a glass canning jar, fill it about 1/3 with water, mark the water line with a sharpie, go go the gas station, give the guy 5 bucks, put 4.50 in my tank to flush out the pump line, then pull out my jar and fill it. Then put on the lid, shake it up, then let it settle. It the water line went up, it has ethanol, if it's the same, it is 'pure'

Would this work?
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #13
mattlock1983
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Ethanol decreases my fuel economy by 3 mpg along with a big drop in power which is especially noticable while pulling my trailer.
the reason for this is because ethanol contains less energy per gallon than regular gas. therefore, a gallon of gas cut with ethanol will have less power than a gallon of straight gas. this is all fine and dandy, if ethanol was comparatively cheaper than gas (like how gas is comparatively cheaper than diesel)... but its not. around here gas that has been cut with ethanol sells for the same price as straight gas, so there is absolutely no advantage to using it (or having the govt subsidize it).

here are the stats:

Liquid hydrogen has 33,696 btu/gal
Ethanol has 84,600 btu/gal
E85 (85% ethanol and 15% gasoline) has 90,660 btu/gal
Liquefied natural gas has 90,800 btu/gal
Gasohol (10% ethanol and 90% gasoline) has 121,000 btu/gal
Regular gasoline has 125,000 btu/gal
bio diesel has 126,200 btu/gal
Jet fuel, naphtha has 127,500 btu/gal
diesel has 138,700 btu/gal

for those of you who dont know, btu means British thermal units. so, skipping the technical explanation, basically higher numbers mean more energy per gallon.

edit: Corn is the main feedstock used for producing ethanol fuel in the United States. the american method of corn production is extremely fertilizer intensive. the amount of ammonium nitrate used in traditional american corn production is exponential. industrial production of ammonium nitrate uses power primarily derived from coal plants. the required electricity for many ethanol distilleries also comes mainly from coal plants. there has been considerable debate about how sustainable / renewable corn-based bio-ethanol really is.
~2.5" Lift, LT285 MTR's, Currie HD steering, Currie Anti-Rock, Nth Oil Pan Skid, Kilby Steering Skid, Warn HS9500, Rockcrusher Diff covers, Nth Slider rear DS skid, custom bumpers, PIAA reverse lights, Tuffy Console, Uniden PC78 elite CB, Nth TT (not installed)
mattlock1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by someschoolkid View Post
Then why is it that shell, for example, used to claim that their v-power, premium gasoline was E0?

As for brand, I used shell since it was on the top of my head. I don't care what brand it is as long as it's good, and as long as it's gas.
If this is true then Shell is using something other than ethanol to boost the octane in that particular fuel. Various gas stations across the nation do sell zero ethanol fuel, but they are the minority. May depend on local laws. By far though, ethanol is the most common octane booster used these days. It is cheap, plentiful and burns clean. By far, the best fuel economy I've experienced was when I put straight gas into the 03 Ranger I was driving cross country. That was in Texas. The worst I experienced on the same road trip was in Mississippi where I filled up with a 20% blend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someschoolkid View Post
Quesiton on if this will work: I take a glass canning jar, fill it about 1/3 with water, mark the water line with a sharpie, go go the gas station, give the guy 5 bucks, put 4.50 in my tank to flush out the pump line, then pull out my jar and fill it. Then put on the lid, shake it up, then let it settle. It the water line went up, it has ethanol, if it's the same, it is 'pure'

Would this work?
If there were ethanol in the fuel, the water level would actually go down, depending on how much ethanol was in there, how much water the ethanol/gas blend had already absorbed prior to the introduction of more water, and how vigorously and how long you agitate the mix. Ethanol is miscible in gasoline, water miscible in ethanol. Water will not draw ethanol out of gasoline, but ethanol mixed into gasoline will draw water in. Alcohol based fuel "drying" additives work on this principle.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
someschoolkid

I was under the impression that if you add enough water to the fuel, the ethanol and the water will mix, but the water and gas won't. If enough water is added, then it would 'weigh down' the ethanol such that it will sink to the bottom and allow the gas to go to the top.

Is this not the case?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.