DIY mesh grill radiator protector - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > DIY mesh grill radiator protector

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
OILBOOM
2008 JK Wrangler 

DIY mesh grill radiator protector

I just got a '08 JK a week ago and from my past experience of catching a bad rock that fudged the radiator of my '02 TJ, I thought I should protect this one some how..

I googled around and saw what was available product wise and said screw this, I'll do it myself.

Went to home depot and headed over to their chain link fencing and such section and bought a roll of this: PEAK
Hardware Mesh - 36 inches x 15 feet - Black
The squares are 1/2” x 1/2”.. black plastic, won't rust.. Easy to replace if f'd up over time/rocks.

Headed over to the electrical section and grabbed a bag of zip ties and a couple bags of these MARR UV Black Mounting Base - Bag of 8 These are like stickers, you peel the backing off, stick them on and use zip ties that go through them to secure wire or whatever.

I cut 7 separate pieces of the mesh at 3.5 inches x 12.5 inches but you could just do one big piece. I did separate pieces to avoid any possible buckling/bulging of the mesh.

You want to be able to work on the inside of the grill, so pop up the six or so 2-piece push pins that hold the top of the grill on. Tug on the bottom of the grill to unclip it free from the body. It can just sit there at an angle on your bumper.

I cleaned around the inside of each vent so the adhesive on the mounting base things would stick properly. Once clean and dry I stuck the zip tie mounts around the inside of each vent. Then one by one I took each piece of mesh and zip tied them into place using the mounting bases..

Snap the grill back on.. put the push-pins back in and done. Looks awesome.

It took about 30min and $40 Canadian.

I have a **** load of of the mesh left so I guess I will quit my job and start selling kits like a momo on eBay now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.