DIY Bedliner vs Rhino Liner/Line X - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > DIY Bedliner vs Rhino Liner/Line X

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #16
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check out raptor upol. I sprayed that on my tub and it has held up great. The texture is great. If you do decide to DIY, I highly recommend pulling the roll cage and spraying. Dirt and water can get under the base plates.

bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #17
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I used Monstaliner and for $120 bucks it was worth it but I did have some chipping problems that I'll have to touch up in the spring. I agree with the advice to just get it professionally LineX. See if you can call the shop and do all the prep work and then just bring it in and have them do the lining. I thought I remember someone saying they only paid 500-600 bucks when they did all the prep work which doesn't sound to bad to me since the guy at the LineX shop quoted me $1800 with me doing all the prep work....I ordered Monstaliner that day. But then I started thinking....what is the point of lining the bed? Why not just pull your carpets and get some color match touch up paint and if you ever chip the already painted floor just touch it up. I feel like I need to "baby" the Monstaliner and it's not as rugged as I thought but I still liked doing the project and will enjoy having my freedom panels on all summer and my top off with the drain plugs pulled!

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #18
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I liked doing mine. I used a paint to match brand called hippo liner sold at a local body shop supply store. Its a bit of work but worth every second of my time. I sprayed mine...u can pick up a sprayer real cheap usually...throw it away or clean it and reuse some other time. Youll need to think about supplies...like tape, paper to mask off, scuff pads, wax and grease remover...and so on. But like u said if u have access to a shop then all will be there. My only bit of advice is if u do it yourself pay attention to where your heavy traffic spots are and where gear goes. I went a little thicker in the foot wells and finished up my kit in the back where tools and gear moves around a bit. Mine has been done now for about 10 years and still works great. U asked about raptor brand. This is a very strong and durable brand...i wish i would have known about this brand back when. Ive seen this brand sprayed into the dump beds of trucks...and after fully cured hit with the claw side of a big hammer and not chip...the metal actually bent but the liner didnt chip. Just my two pennies...youll enjoy it no matter which route u take. Good luck.
jeepreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:31 AM   #19
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've raptor lined three Jeeps and all three have come out awesome. I spent about 20 hours of prep and 2 hours of paint and another 3 reassembling everything. The one downside is there is a strong odor for about a week and it slowly starts to fade away. I'm about a month in and I can start to smell the new Jeep smell again in my 2012, but the odor is still prevalent. Wait for a long weekend to do it though. It requires at least 3 days to get any kind of cure going, a full week for the best strength.

Best part it is if you miss a spot a rattlecan of satin black duplicolor will fill any small gaps without any visible signs.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I spent about 20 hours of prep and 2 hours of paint and another 3 reassembling everything.
That's my concern right there. I don't mind doing the work myself...in fact, I would prefer to do everything myself. Up to this point, everything that has been done to the Jeep has been done with my hands, but it just seems like doing the bedliner yourself my be a diminishing return. 25hrs of labor, plus the price of the bedliner kit, is a significant investment. Sure, the up front cost is not bad, roughly $100-120 for the kit. But, investing 25 man hours into the project to save $300 seems counterproductive. Moreso, it is very difficult to get the same results doing it yourself as you can having it professionally done. So, not only would I be spending $100 and 15-25 hours on the project, but I would ultimately be getting a result that is technically inferior to what a professional shop can achieve. Now, I can strip the interior, including the roll bar, and just haul it on my trailer to the Rhino dealer and be done with it. No clean up, no fuss about fumes, prep, etc. However, I am a cheap SOB, so I really don't know what I am going to do.

Decisions, decisions...
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
BftXJ

I used to work at a shop doing rhino linings and if you has access to air tools to spray the. There is no reason you should have 25 hours of prep time. Honestly the hardest part should be disassembling and re assembling your truck.prep work with air tools should only be a couple of hours at most
JCR stage 2 sliders
Detours Tailbone Tire Carrier
Flowmaster 40, dumped after axle
BftXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did a Herculiner myself in the bed of a pickup and was extremely happy with the results. I then sold the truck after a couple years and had a pro shop doe a LineX in the bed of that one. Then about six months later it peeled off of the wheel wells so I brought it back and they simply re-sprayed over the old liner, which promptly peeled off the wheel wells again. There is a A LOT of prep work to be done for it to be a good application, and if a shop is going to quote a cheap price it is the prep that they take shortcuts on. Do it yourself.
Oh, I rolled my Herculiner, no big deal although I would like to try spraying one. I would imagine the manufacturer could point you in the right direction for spray nozzles to use for their product.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BftXJ View Post
There is no reason you should have 25 hours of prep time. Honestly the hardest part should be disassembling and re assembling your truck.prep work with air tools should only be a couple of hours at most
I have to agree with BftXJ. Mine did not take that long to prep. I actually done mine at work...i stripped it down in a couple hours at home on sunday...drove it to work on monday took the driver seat and belt stuff out there. Washed, scuffed using scuff pads no tools, used wax and grease remover, dried, masked off for over spray, then sprayed the liner in. I let the liner cure for at least 8 hrs before putting the belt and seat back in. Yes i had to stay after work for at least 2 hrs then drove it home where it finished the curing process. Doing it where u dont have to move it should not take 25 hrs though.
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshankhank View Post
Oh, I rolled my Herculiner, no big deal although I would like to try spraying one. I would imagine the manufacturer could point you in the right direction for spray nozzles to use for their product.
Any undercoat gun would work for a liner. Any auto paint supply store should carry some brand. We sold one for around $20 bucks. We even started carrying a house brand bedliner that came with an undercoat gun. That kit sold for around $100 - 120. You could get black or tintable. Most supply stores will give u the color of choice for free when u buy a tintable bedliner kit.
Unread 12-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #25
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well, my decision has been sort of made for me. I came into a deal for a Raptor kit (thanks 4x4jkx!), so I'm going to give it a try. Depending on how it well it turns out, I may do the beds of my trucks.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck to ya. In real estate there are three things you need to know: location, location, location. In tub liners there are three things you need to know: prep, prep, prep.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #27
StuddMuffinz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280
Well, my decision has been sort of made for me. I came into a deal for a Raptor kit (thanks 4x4jkx!), so I'm going to give it a try. Depending on how it well it turns out, I may do the beds of my trucks.
Honestly, if you take your time and prep it well, it'll come out awesome,even when compared to "pro" bed liners. In the DIY scene, UPOL Raptor is hands-down the best available option. Goodluck, you won't be disappointed.
Unread 12-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #28
lloydsmale
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I too used raptor to do my jeep and have used it on two pickup beds too now and am very pleased with the ease of use, quality of job and how its held up.
my off road toys are a 2000 yellow 4 cyl with a 2 inch lift and 31 bfgs. A 2006 silverado club cab 4x4 with a 310 hp, K&N intake, borla exaust, computer reprogramed by westers, 285/17 bfg mud terrains. A yamaha grizzly, A yamaha raptor and a yamaha warrior, honda big red, 2009 polaris rzr
lloydsmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #29
melissamdaniels

So what is bottom line for best liner to use?
melissamdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamdaniels View Post
So what is bottom line for best liner to use?
Line-X
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.