DIY Bedliner vs Rhino Liner/Line X - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > DIY Bedliner vs Rhino Liner/Line X

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

DIY Bedliner vs Rhino Liner/Line X

I've pulled the interior out of my '94 YJ with the intentions of using a DIY Monstaliner kit. Considering the price of the material, looks like the cost will be around $100 or so plus labor. Now, its difficult to place a value on your own time, but it looks like it will take a minimum of 8-10 hrs to do the prep and application of the product. Well, today I was at the local Rhino Liner shop getting a quote for my truck, and had them quote me a price on the interior of the Jeep. I was given a price of $450 for the Jeep, which seems quite reasonable.

Here are my questions. Will the pro job really be worth an additional $350 over the DIY kit? Those who have done the liners themselves, any regrets on not paying to have it done? I know Jeep guys like to do as much of the work as possible, but I am curious as to what point it may become counter productive. I love working on my Jeep, but I also know how much money I could make working an extra 8-10 hrs!

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If you can pay for the pro job with those extra hours of work, might as well. Also, you have no clean-up to do after, no getting messy and liner all over yourself.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I am planning this for the spring. However, up in Canada I would imagine the cost would be double that price at least. For a decent job that is.

For that price it's almost worth it to have them do it. And if anything is messed up they can deal with it. Not you. Like he said above. No mess and clean up. And apparently prep is a pain in the butt. I'm really cheap so ill prob do it myself. Plus my father in law has a body shop so ill prob do it there an use the shop supplies
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For $450 I'd jump on it, That's a great price considering you don't have to deal with masking, sanding, rolling on bedliner, cleanup. I would look at the price of Line-X though, it has some advantages over Rhino.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would go for it.
The Rhino liner will be alot thicker than anything you can do at home.
It will help with road noise and heat.
Unread 12-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
gmc01redtj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

DIY smells... A buddy of mine who is a used car dealer just did this to a wrangler and it smells it not a over whelming odor but a lingering Oder none the less.
gmc01redtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
jason280

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It certainly leaves me with a few decisions. Just to be curious, what is the general consensus on the Raptor DIY kits?
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I did Rhino myself last summer. I had a total of 30 man hours into the project from cradle to grave. I'm extremely happy with the results and have the pride of saying that I did the job myself. When it comes to projects like this, I just don't trust anyone else to take the care and pride of workmanship like I would do. They have nothing invested in the vehicle.

I could have gone to my local Ziebart and gotten it done for $450 as well, but I can't see how they would have done prep to the level I did with such a low price. They wanted the vehicle with only the driver's seat in it so there still would have been the front end prep of pulling the seats, seat belts and roll bar prior to bringing it to them. Also, this would have made me have to drive without rear lights, seat belts or a roll bar to the shop and back home again. When I asked the shop about it, they said nobody removes the roll bar or seat belts and they just spray around them. Kinda defeats the protective qualities of the coating to not coat under everything, if you ask me. Like I said, they have nothing invested in the vehicle so they won't go to the detail level that an owner would.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #9
ufvj217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I did Rhino myself last summer. I had a total of 30 man hours into the project from cradle to grave. I'm extremely happy with the results and have the pride of saying that I did the job myself. When it comes to projects like this, I just don't trust anyone else to take the care and pride of workmanship like I would do. They have nothing invested in the vehicle.

I could have gone to my local Ziebart and gotten it done for $450 as well, but I can't see how they would have done prep to the level I did with such a low price. They wanted the vehicle with only the driver's seat in it so there still would have been the front end prep of pulling the seats, seat belts and roll bar prior to bringing it to them. Also, this would have made me have to drive without rear lights, seat belts or a roll bar to the shop and back home again. When I asked the shop about it, they said nobody removes the roll bar or seat belts and they just spray around them. Kinda defeats the protective qualities of the coating to not coat under everything, if you ask me. Like I said, they have nothing invested in the vehicle so they won't go to the detail level that an owner would.
This! !!!

I couldn't agree more. I don't have a jeep yet but I'm looking for a yj. When I get it I plan on using monstaliner and doing it myself.
ufvj217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Looking online, the Monstaliner is $134 for the kit plus about $17 to ship. Even if you have some of the painting materials and don't need the kit, prep material and extra rollers are going to add to your cost so it's more of $300 difference to have someone else do it.

I was thinking of the Monstaliner route myself and I agree with recent posts that the shops aren't going to get under the seat belts and roll bar unless you remove them. It's still tempting to have someone else do it and maybe later you can fill in where they didn't with some rustoleum?

Reading up on the monstaliner reviews and having gotten some samples myself, it appears too slick for the interior for me, however I think you can add a texture but this costs extra. It would make cleaning up easy but the texture will collect more dirt, I'm assuming. I also wouldn't want to wipe-out getting in or moving around while in the Jeep because the floor was too slick. The cheaper, DIY bedliner kits are therefore more appealing for me.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #11
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ok. I am following this thread. I just read something on a herculiner review page that in the sun it can become gooey when hot.

That is not cool! Considering heat transfer through back from exhaust. Heat from transmission/engine and add the sun in this mix and next thing you know you're shoes are stuck in goo and answers why the dog hasn't moved in the back for over an hour!!!!!!

Has anyone experienced gooey bed liner ?
Unread 12-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Ok. I am following this thread. I just read something on a herculiner review page that in the sun it can become gooey when hot.

That is not cool! Considering heat transfer through back from exhaust. Heat from transmission/engine and add the sun in this mix and next thing you know you're shoes are stuck in goo and answers why the dog hasn't moved in the back for over an hour!!!!!!

Has anyone experienced gooey bed liner ?
No goo here. I run topless all summer and had no adverse reactions during 95+ degree heat.

Oh, and on the slickness statement about Monsta - Herc is not a smooth finish (a benefit in my opinion).

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post

No goo here. I run topless all summer and had no adverse reactions during 95+ degree heat.

Oh, and on the slickness statement about Monsta - Herc is not a smooth finish (a benefit in my opinion).
X2 I run topless about 7 months of the year and temps peak at 105+ and average 100 in summer no goo for me.
bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome. Thanks guys!

I have access to spray gun. Should I spray or roll!?
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I rolled it, since I don't have access to a spray gun. Also, Herc is pretty thick. Not sure how good it will perform being sprayed. Rolling/brushing went pretty easy. The application was the quickest part of the project. Just don't forget to put your second coat on while the first coat is still tacky. That helps the second coat bond to the first.

I did 2 heavy coats throughout the tub with 4 coats in the floor mat areas.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.