The differences between Wrangler Unlimited models? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > The differences between Wrangler Unlimited models?

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
ck40711

The differences between Wrangler Unlimited models?

Hello, I am considering buying a 2011 Wranger Unlimited. I know what the Rubicon is because my brother has a 2008 model. I was just hoping someone out there might be able to briefly tell me the difference between the following models. Not sure if it matters but I am looking to have hard top only and automatic transmission. Thanks

1. Sport
2. Islander
3. Mountain
4. Sahara (I know it has color fenders instead of black platic, but what else)

ck40711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

The Sport is your base model. All the ones I've seen at the dealer (2010 of course because 2011 aren't out yet) do have 17 inch alloy wheels and BFG Mud TA tires (aka the Rubicon), but theoretically you could find ones with 16 inch steel rims and smaller All terrain tires. I'm not sure about the shocks and springs. They will have Dana 35 diffy and up to 3.73 gearing (with the tow package).

Islander and Mountain editions are limited edition models. They are basically Sport models with decals on the hood and special stitching on the seats. Both have Rubicon springs and shocks, but will still have Dana 35 diffs. They ride on 17 inch alloy rims and 255x75 17 BFG Mud TAs. The Mountain also has a gunmetal colored front grill and wheels.

The Sahara is more of a luxury model with painted flares 18 inch wheels and more streetable All Terrain tires. (I forget if they are Bridgestone or Goodyear. The Sahara also has a silverish front and rear bumper applique. Also with the Dana 35 differencial and up to 3.73 gearing with the towing package.

The Rubicon gives you Dana 44 differencials with 4.11 gearing and electronic lockers, 4:1 transfer case, electrionic disconecting front sway bar, beefier springs and shocks, and 17 inch alloy rims with 255x75 17 BFG Mud Terrain T/A tires.

I'm sure I'm missing something...
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
ck40711

Vin, your reply was exacly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. . . so what is the X package, is that a Sport model?
ck40711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck40711 View Post
Vin, your reply was exacly what I was looking for. Thanks so much. . . so what is the X package, is that a Sport model?
As far as I know, they are one and the same. Wikipeadia says they replaced the X with Sport designation, but I still see X decals. I had that problem in '92 when I bought my first Wrangler. I just say "base model."
Unread 08-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Also, I saw your post in the 4x2 thread. Get a 4x4, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Unless of course you want to go really basic and build it up to an animal and know how ya did it. My days of serious wrench twisting are over. I have a Rubicon and let the service department take care of everything.
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
tjtom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

All JK's have rear D44's, and D30 up front. Except for Rubicons They have D44's front and rear.
tjtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
SlackJawedYokel
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here ya go, this should answer all of your questions, straight from the horses mouth.
Jeep - Build My Own - Model Selection
If you plan on doing any hardcore 4wheeling with it, get the Rubicon. If you'll just use it for the beach, camping, snow, etc, any of the 4x4 models will be fine, just pick the options and trim that tickle your fancy and you're good to go.
P.S. Mango Tango pearl coat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.