Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Death Wobble

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
house777
2007 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble

Contacted the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration to put in a complaiont about the death wobble. I have been trying to fix this problem with my 2007 Jeep Wrangler four door for two years. The NHTSA opened a case against Jeep Nov. 18, 2010, the engineers feel there should be a recall. Jeep refused the recall and the case was closed on Feb 16 , 2011 and reopened the same day again trying to get JEEP to recall, that was closed and reopened on Sept. 27, 2012. JEEP did put out a Technical Bulletin but the engineers with the NHTSA are persuing to get the recall put through. The complaints are from the JEEP Wrangler 2006-2010 and the JEEP Patriot 2006-2010. IF YOU HAVE THIS DEATH WOBBLE PROBLEM CALL IN YOUR COMPLAINT TO THE NHTSA 888-327-4236. The more complaints on file the sooner JEEP will be forced to recall these models!!!
I have replaced my stablizer bar three times, my ball joints, my brakes, my calipers, my tires, five front end alignments and recently JEEP wanted to replace my ball joints again, my drive shaft and stablizer bar once again.

house777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

DW is a natural thing that all solid axle vehicles can experience when front end parts start to wear. This is nothing that DC can fix with a recall. Encouraging further government intrusion in a topic like this is much more likely to have downside than upside.

Oh, and your 2007 is a JK not a TJ.
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Op, what modifications have you done to your Jeep?
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

So you've really not done anything to cure the death wobble then.

Personally, I think Jeep should smack you in the mouth with a torque wrench for being an idiot.

Go replace your stabilizer again (which isn't even needed TBH). Then try an actual fix.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Bearpaw1274
2013 JK Wrangler 

death wobble

Do a search for jeep death wobble and you will find a lot of info on it. Hope this
helps
Max
Bearpaw1274 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Crawlin06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by house777 View Post
Contacted the National Highway Safety Traffic Administration to put in a complaiont about the death wobble. I have been trying to fix this problem with my 2007 Jeep Wrangler four door for two years. The NHTSA opened a case against Jeep Nov. 18, 2010, the engineers feel there should be a recall. Jeep refused the recall and the case was closed on Feb 16 , 2011 and reopened the same day again trying to get JEEP to recall, that was closed and reopened on Sept. 27, 2012. JEEP did put out a Technical Bulletin but the engineers with the NHTSA are persuing to get the recall put through. The complaints are from the JEEP Wrangler 2006-2010 and the JEEP Patriot 2006-2010. IF YOU HAVE THIS DEATH WOBBLE PROBLEM CALL IN YOUR COMPLAINT TO THE NHTSA 888-327-4236. The more complaints on file the sooner JEEP will be forced to recall these models!!!
I have replaced my stablizer bar three times, my ball joints, my brakes, my calipers, my tires, five front end alignments and recently JEEP wanted to replace my ball joints again, my drive shaft and stablizer bar once again.

A bit confused about your post.

1. I am assuming that the 2006-2010 Wrangler was a typo and you meant 2007-2010

2. As another poster stated, what mods have you done to your Jeep?

3. Have you had Jeep take a look at your specific Jeep? Going through steering components that fast leads me to believe that it was either in a wreck and you have some screwy geometry or you just got a lemon (it happens.)

Would love to know the answer to the above questions as well as any other information that may be relevant. Just coming in here ranting doesn't really educate the masses...so to speak.

. _0_0_0
[COLOR="Yellow"] /l ,[____],
l---L--OllllllO- [/COLOR]
()_) ()_)----)_)

[B][COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Jeep Club Member[/COLOR] #912[/B]

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/crawlin06s-yellow-tj-build-1482267/"]MY BUILD[/URL][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by Crawlin06; 04-03-2013 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Typo'd like a big dog
Crawlin06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, first post by the OP containing several inaccurate statements. I wonder what the complaint looks like? Oh, and yeah, I definitely want to know if anything has been modified from stock. That'll kill any liability on Chrysler's part in a heartbeat.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Death wobble. Funny name for something that I have not heard of anyone ever resulting in death. I have been in a Jeep since 75, 1975.... I have had the FIsh tail of death from towing things I should have NOT. People die from that. not just in Jeeps.

OP has a 6+ year Jeep with worn out parts. Wants BIG brother to fix it. I Know who you voted for as well.
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How high is your skyjacker lift? Also, have your 20" rims been balanced properly? What tires are you running?

You can't place blame on Jeep if you've used after market parts. Most of the cases of DW are due to an improper setup and or poor quality after market parts. The other few that have had a DW, but are still stock, is due to worn out parts. I, personally, have never heard of a new, stock Jeep having DW. I'm not saying it can't happen, I've just not seen a case.
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
1tufrubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
DW is a natural thing that all solid axle vehicles can experience when front end parts start to wear. This is nothing that DC can fix with a recall. Encouraging further government intrusion in a topic like this is much more likely to have downside than upside.

Oh, and your 2007 is a JK not a TJ.
Awesome response! 100% spot on.
1tufrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

I actually had some interesting input about the setup on the jk where people are putting in a shouldered bolt and why Chrysler may have decided against it.

I run a lot of parts that have to withstand tremendous force we are talking in excess of 3 million ft/lbs. They don't use a shoulder bolt when the assembly is complete because where the thread meets the shoulder it can cause a fracture point.

However, the parts we have designed to fail or break at the bolts all use shoulder bolts and they use them because they fail right at the point where the thread meets the shoulder.

I asked one of our engineers about it and he confirmed the reason. I'm not going to say for a fact this is why they use a completely threaded bolt, but it could be a possibility.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #12
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow.

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #13
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....at least you get points for the most creative thread with the title of "Death Wobble" that's been on the forum in a long time...????

Just digging at the bottom of the optimism barrel here....

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
Clodhopper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When I got my '06 tj it had "two" steering stabilizers and "death wobble". Replaced a bent tie rod and both tie rod ends and both steering stabilizers with one and adjusted the toe-in and most of it went away. I could still feel it at around 48 mph so I kept looking. Discovered that my track bar conection on the axel side had wobbled out so I drilled out the hole and put in a 7/16" bolt and fixed that problem, then noticed that my control arm bushings were more like sponges, replaced them and no mo wobble! Just worn out parts that regular maintenance, that should have been done by the previous owner, would have prevented.
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.