Dealers: They Give Themselves A Bad Name - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Dealers: They Give Themselves A Bad Name

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Dealers: They Give Themselves A Bad Name

So I need a new license plate assembly because the lady next door destroyed mine. This is for a new Jeep that I purchased not three weeks ago. I contact the dealer to get a quote on just the part.

$85.00

I checked around on the internet some and found new ones for at least $30.00 less - which is getting into the ballpark of half the price.

Dealers: You can send me all email spam you want to about customer service but when you price a simple OEM part - a plastic part, no less - for more than one a metal aftermarket one would cost - then you've just given yourself a bad name.

Seriously.

MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

seriously there are people here who took them off there jeep and tossed them in there garrage me included. if I have time I will ship you mine pm me your address

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
rubi513
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hear you. A lug nut for my 04 dodge dually is 14 bucks. I also took my jeep in to see why the ac wasn't blowing cold. They quoted me a price of 2500 hundred to replace the compressor and some lines that they said were bad. I told them that I would get a second opinion. I paid the 100 dollars they said I owed for putting in Freon. That was 3 years ago. AC is still blowing cold. Go figure.
rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
seriously there are people here who took them off there jeep and tossed them in there garrage me included. if I have time I will ship you mine pm me your address
along with half the jeeps plastic and other parts. feals like I am saving parts to build another
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
Out of curiosity, why do people remove them?

I was looking at some aftermarket ones and they've steel versions for less than the plastic OEM, although, it occurs to me that if someone does hit it I'd rather have 'em break the plastic then bend the underlying sheet metal.

So if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions here I'm all ears.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGerbil View Post
Out of curiosity, why do people remove them?

I was looking at some aftermarket ones and they've steel versions for less than the plastic OEM, although, it occurs to me that if someone does hit it I'd rather have 'em break the plastic then bend the underlying sheet metal.

So if anyone has any thoughts/suggestions here I'm all ears.
for this

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Auto dealers make a greater percentage of their gross profits off of parts and service than auto sales.

Commercial real estate, building costs, franchise fees, labor costs, advertising, and gov't compliance all cost big money.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

mine was removed by rocks first, oh and you still get body damage. The plate sticks out to the side where Jeeps tend to dip and lean coming out of a pit of rocks.

Here is whats left of my plate holder, its epoxied to the rear 3rd tail light part cut off and mounted to rear. Cost nothing but some wire glue a bit of steal. All i had anyway and thetime to fo it,

spar tire is straped to bed.
this can be bolted to the tire when I need my swing out.
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Five22 View Post
Auto dealers make a greater percentage of their gross profits off of parts and service than auto sales.

Commercial real estate, building costs, franchise fees, labor costs, advertising, and gov't compliance all cost big money.
true but they could at least give you a reach around and a smile while they **** you. Not treat you like a cheep hooker.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You wanted the OEM part, so you got the OEM price. Somewhere down the line, the price was made that high, be it by the assembly line technicians, shipping department, stockers, etc. Aftermarket components are less expensive because they're generally made directly by the company that is selling them, rather than by a contracted company that might be out of the country or overseas, at least for a part like that. Another thing is that generally it's not the dealership that sets the prices, so much as it's the mother company (in this case, Fiat/Chrysler). Dealerships just obey the rules set forth.

Dealerships have to make money somehow, and it's not really from car sales.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Dealerships have to make money somehow, and it's not really from car sales.
I've a tendency to be a loyal customer.
Because they sold me a Jeep I'd be willing to pay market + 5% for their services and parts.

They went for +50%.

I wish them luck paying for all that stuff now that I won't be spending money there anymore.
Seems like an odd way to do business - driving off would be loyal customers with ready money on hand.
I really wanted to do business with them too.
Unread 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Because they sold me a Jeep I'd be willing to pay market + 5% for their services and parts.

They went for +50%.

I wish them luck paying for all that stuff now that I won't be spending money there anymore.
Seems like an odd way to do business - driving off would be loyal customers with ready money on hand.
You are aware that that internet merchant has a fraction of the overhead that a dealership does right?

Either way, they already made a chunk of money off you and they will get more down the road. Unless you don't plan on having them do warranty work. If you don't like the cost of using OEM parts, don't. If 100% sure the dealer si going to cry himself to sleep when he doesn't have you there asking for discounts and not buying a few parts over the life of your Jeep.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
You are aware that that internet merchant has a fraction of the overhead that a dealership does right?

Either way, they already made a chunk of money off you and they will get more down the road. Unless you don't plan on having them do warranty work. If you don't like the cost of using OEM parts, don't. If 100% sure the dealer si going to cry himself to sleep when he doesn't have you there asking for discounts and not buying a few parts over the life of your Jeep.
It really isn't a goal of mine to have anyone cry themselves to sleep at night.
I was contrasting marketing literature (we want to serve your for life) with the reality.

When you compare the two the dealer, in my case, ends up with a bad reputation.

A quick search on the internet got me this:
http://www.amazon.com/WRANGLER-LICEN...se+plate+mount

Evidently a dealer in California can sell the same item for $35.00 less (40% savings) - which means this isn't an overhead issue as much as it is a gouge-the-customer-in-the-eye issue.

The advice to 'shop your dealer' is good advice.
I'll get OEM parts/warranty work - just not were I bought the Jeep.
Evidently they'd rather try to rape me on a license plate holder than establish a long term relationship.
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
jefbob
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

They went for +50%.

I'm the same way. I'm willing to pay just a little bit more on something to support a local business that has good customer service or an online shop that I have dealt with before and know ships fast (depending on what my options at the time are). But there are certainly limits to that and I understand the dealer might have a lot of overhead to cover, but I wouldn't spend that much more on something like that either.
jefbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
djm
2013 JK Wrangler 

If I can buy something locally, be it from my jeep dealer, or the Mom & Pop hardware store I will.

I usually, and the key word is usually, use a 10% margin. When I find out that they are charging more than 10% more than what I could buy it elsewhere for, then I will usually go elsewhere. Generally anything local within 10% of a big box or on line seller, I'll pay the extra 10% and buy local. On some large purchases, I've asked if they can meet the other price and often times they can and do.
djm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.