Cross Country Gas Mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Cross Country Gas Mileage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 07-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #1
PINKBOYD
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cross Country Gas Mileage

So I am planning on driving my jeep from Michigan to California with three of my buddy's and enough gear to camp for about a month. Right now I average 15.5 mpg with just me in it. I have the 2.5l 4cly engine in my 99 TJ. I would love to hear all of your expert opinions on what kind of gas millage I should expect that loaded down at 60-70mph. And mainly what gas mileage have you experienced with the 4cly engine. Is mine low and could use a tune up or should I be content with what I have?

Thank You
-PinkBoyd

PINKBOYD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not familiar with the 4 cylinder, but I get better gas mileage than you mentioned with my 6 cyl.

You'll get way better gas mileage driving 60 mph than you would driving faster. However, sometimes I can't stand to drive 60 mph. 64 mph is still pretty good for me on gas mileage.

Though all what I said above is only correct if you're gearing is correct.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
CalaskanTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I drove my Jeep (with 6 cyl) from CA to WI and then WI to UT. The worst mileage I got was driving from WI to UT because of a bad head wind. The wind lowered my mileage to under 10 mpg. But the next day without any wind driving through the mountain on I80 in WY and UT I got over 18 mpg. As long as you don't try to run at 80 mph and keep it a little slower, you should get some decent mileage.
1997 TJ. 4.0, 5spd. 4" Lift, 33" MTR's, D30 front with ARB, rear 8.8 with ARB, 4.10 gears, KC Slimlites, Superwinch EPi9.0s, Hi-lift Jack. Trail Gear front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier, rock sliders and steering skid.

UTAH JEEPCREW #20
CalaskanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
PINKBOYD
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure that the 6 cylinder would get better highway miles than the 4 because with the 4 you would need higher rpms to maintain the same speed as the 6, right? At 70 miles per hour I'm just a tad over 3k rpms
Unread 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
97yellow
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i took a 700 mile trip with my 4 cyl auto and 31 s and averaged 18.5 mpg
97yellow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

From FL to TN I averaged about 15-17 mpg at 65-75mph. I had 17.8mpg on a tank where I drove 60-65mph the whole time. This was with 2 people and LOTS of gear in the Jeep.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Pallando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I average 18-22 MPG around town and on the highway with my '97 2.5l 4 cylinder, with stock gearing/suspension and 31's. I think the lowest MPG tank I got was going 85mph for 300 miles. I got 16-17 mpg.

If you're getting 15.5 MPG, there's something wrong with either your Jeep or your driving style.

Give it a tune up and possibly an oil change (use synthetic oil), before the trip. You'll see an improvement for sure

The easiest way to improve your driving style is pretend like your brakes are really bad and need replacement when ever you drive anywhere. That way, you dont habitually accelerate up to speed and then slow down with braking power, essentially useing your gas to heat up your brake pads instead of useing it to move forward and maintain momentum. 90% of the time, when someone accelerates hard out of a stop light, I see them brake hard again at the next light infront of me. 10-20 seconds later, I roll up next to him and lightly tap my brakes to keep from rolling into the intersection, having coasted off most of my speed in neutral prior to getting to the red light. Who used more gas to accomplish the same thing?
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
BBerry4430
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unless you've been running synthetic oil in your Jeep for awhile, I would not recommend switching to it now. It's great earlier in a vehicle's life, but when you switch later in its life it can lead to oil leaks. However, I do agree your mileage is way low. I get 19-22 city-hwy in my 2.5 with manual. I too recommend a good tune up and maybe even changing your transmission gear oil.
BBerry4430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My long trip experience is that it is about the same as you get with mixed driving around home.

Because of tire friction and aerodynamics, sustained highway driving will actually lower your mileage a bit.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
gas mileage , cross country

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.