Convincing the insurance agency it's worth more, BEFORE the claim - JeepForum.com
 11Likes
  • 2 Post By DockRocker
  • 2 Post By biffgnar
  • 1 Post By 222Doc
  • 1 Post By Myjeep1986
  • 1 Post By Adam013085
  • 1 Post By NIUPonyBoy
  • 1 Post By Wheelin98TJ
  • 2 Post By ravenworks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
skydiver30960
nOob for life

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Convincing the insurance agency it's worth more, BEFORE the claim

So, there are quite a few threads on JF about people who have had their Jeeps totaled out for WAY less than what they feel it is worth. I imagine this is largely due to the amount of money we spend on stuff that they don't care about: axles, lift, lockers, fenders, winches, yadda yadda yadda.

Anybody have any suggestions about how to approach the insurance companys to get them on board with a higher value, BEFORE the wreck/stealing happens and it's too late? I can only imagine what will happen if I even MENTION anything about it being "more capable offroad," so is there a way to sell them on the idea of making it more reliable overall? Or is it just a "life sucks, get a helmet" sort of thing? OBVIOUSLY, the short answer is just to call my insurance company, but I don't want to put my foot in my mouth either.

I did a search here and found one thread stating where a member's company covered NADA value plus depreciated value for any "upgrades" for which they could provide receipts. SO, at least there's hope. I'm a packrat, I have every receipt down to every nut and bolt I've ever bought for the dang thing.

I'm TOTALLY willing to pay the added premium. I understand that I won't get something for nothing. I just want to do whatever I can to cover my Jeep's butt, if you will.

It seems crappy that a Rubi with good axles and lockers from the factory is worth so much more, but a TJ with all that stuff added after the fact isn't worth squat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I will NOT calm down! Machine guns affect my ability to perform and I do NOT like that! -- Ricardo Tubbs

I play bagpipes to silence the voices in my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM
DockRocker

You need what's called a stated value policy or declared value policy. That allows you to insure it to a particular value that you agree on. Typically you can't get on at the local yocal insurance agent. You will have to go to Hagerty or a similar company. Generally it's for a collector vehicle but it works for a jeep whose selling price and nada value are so far apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grogie and skydiver30960 like this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think at one level it depends who your insurance company is. Their approaches to modified vehicles vary.

post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
As well Hagerty tends to insure things that are for show, parades etc.. if you DD it its going to get real expensive.
skydiver30960 likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Check with American Collectors Insurance, Cherry Hill NJ; You inform them what you want as a value etc.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM
Adam013085

Garage
I've gone through a few insurance companies in the last 10 years and most, if not all of them have a separate rider for upgrades. You just declare a dollar amount you'd like for your upgrades to be insured for and they insure them. I know for a fact progressive does this as I'm with them now. I believe Geico may have had that option too but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know the paperwork they would require but the option to fill in a $ amount for upgrades is there.

1998 Jeep wrangler
31x10.50x15 tires.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2017, 12:51 PM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAdam85 View Post
I've gone through a few insurance companies in the last 10 years and most, if not all of them have a separate rider for upgrades. You just declare a dollar amount you'd like for your upgrades to be insured for and they insure them. I know for a fact progressive does this as I'm with them now. I believe Geico may have had that option too but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know the paperwork they would require but the option to fill in a $ amount for upgrades is there.
This is what I was going to post. Most companies have separate riders for modifications.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
post #8 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Insurance companies are regulated by the State.

Coverage very likely differs from state to state, but I do not have enough experience or knowledge about this to say for sure.

I can tell you that Progressive covered my mods without any additional coverage on my policy for those mods. I had a standard Michigan no-fault policy with collision coverage.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 07:23 PM
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have several vehicles inured with State Farm under a states value policy and it isn't that much higher than a normal policy.
SAVE you receipts,keep track of what has been done to the vehicle as of the day you insured it and update your value accordingly.
grogie and skydiver30960 like this.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.