Considering a new JKU - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Considering a new JKU

I'm considering swapping my daily driver car for a new JKU, hard top. Going through the possibilities now. It will be my daily driver, and my current TJ will remain the off-roading vehicle. My logic is to go with the Sport, keep it stock, and then possibly modify it heavily in a number of years (e.g. 39" tires)... unless I can get a Rubicon for like 5-6K more then I'd surrender and get that.

My question is--and it's a subjective one, a fun question if you will--how much WILLPOWER does it really take to own a 4-door JKU and KEEP it stock? No mods... I mean stock. Just drive the thing. I'm resolved not to do anything halfway. No slightly larger tires, nothing for like 5-8 years. This is going to be my CAR.

Edit: Perhaps I'll add that I just finished modifying the TJ and really love driving it. I guess I should already know the answer to my question: it's impossible not to change a Jeep from stock. But I can hope...

KJ6HYE

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 03:51 PM
cranbiz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Eventually, you will give in. It's inevitable.

Jeep=Lego's for men.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 06:39 PM
bwitherel
2014 JK Wrangler 

My JKU has the soft top - for me personally, that is the only way to go.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 PM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

Got a 4 door soft top (mostly cuz the wife wanted to go topless in the summer months. Picked up a hard top for it a week later. (Cuz I just like the look better)) But other than that, I plan on keeping it stock. That being said... it makes it hard if you cruise the forums often.

Stock 2017 Granite Chrystal Metallic JKU
post #5 of 11 Old 02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

So how soon will you have it paid off?

When I bought my TJ new, my goal was to get it paid off first before I spent any serious money. I did so a little early on a five-year loan, and then to me, I could justify doing so. Plus I have to say, it gave me the time to research here on JF, talk to local guys, wheel it stock, and think it over. I actually had several other lift ideas and even bumpers that I didn't do, due to waiting.

Also, just the other day, I was passing a new two-door JK that still had the temp tags on it, and it had a lift-kit, and even a winch already on the front. I assume he bought it like that? Or even if he drove it straight to a 4WheelParts, I would just think he'd later regret something about it. I'm not saying that's your case, especially since you already own a modified TJ. Personally, I'd really have to read up about modifying a JK.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #6 of 11 Old 02-18-2017, 07:01 AM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwitherel View Post
Same here.

My JK is my DD and toad, eventually I will swap to a JKU.

The ONLY way I will drive a jeep is a soft top and a row-it-yourself.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
post #7 of 11 Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I test drove one today. I've decided to go with the JKU Rubicon, 4.10, color hard top and fenders. I'm going to drive it stock for a while, maybe indefinitely. It's tempting to put 35s on there, but they just never drive the same no matter what you do. My TJ will remain the wheeling vehicle.

KJ6HYE

"Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies." -Nietzsche
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the soft top for the spring/summer/fall months for sure... but I would rather go mudding with a hard top. Easier to clean and you won't have to worry about scratching up the soft top windows.

post #9 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM
bwitherel
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebs
I like the soft top for the spring/summer/fall months for sure... but I would rather go mudding with a hard top. Easier to clean and you won't have to worry about scratching up the soft top windows.
I live in SC, so mild winters not a problem here. Excellent point on the mudding - that is not my thing, but if it were, hard top a must
post #10 of 11 Old 02-20-2017, 08:37 AM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

I run a soft top all year long and we have long harsh bitter cold winters up here. No hard top ever again for me.

I haven't had a problem cleaning my soft top, but yes the plastic can get scratched pretty easily, just a trade off, and one I am very happy to make.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
post #11 of 11 Old 02-21-2017, 04:41 AM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I live in SC, so mild winters not a problem here. Excellent point on the mudding - that is not my thing, but if it were, hard top a must
Yeah... we're in SC as well, but drive up to Illinois/Iowa area during the winter months sometimes to visit family. Having the ability to defrost/use window wiper blade while driving is a plus in the snow/slush/slurry that can make quite a mess on the back window.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.