Considering an LJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Considering an LJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #31
M2LJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
Seeing this thread I stumbled on a LJ this evening on my local classifieds..

06 LJ Rubi, black on black, manual. 125k KMs (not sure what that is in miles) they want just under 14K for it.

Very tempting..
125K kilometers is a tad over 78K miles...

M2LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #32
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LJ

125K kilometers is a tad over 78K miles...
Yup, your right.

Went and looked at the jeep this am. pretty much stock, has hardtop and softop.

Seems in decent condition, also the softop stuff is all in a boot so looks like it might never have been taken out. In the glove compartment the stuff is also all sealed and wrapped, all the straps etc..

I might go test drive this thing on Monday as I was busy today.

Overall looks like a decent jeep, frame appears to just have surface rust.

Now this year would have the OPDA issue I know off. What exactly else should I look for on these? I pressed the locker button and didn't see the light flick on, but I was stationary.

Sent from the I-device using an APP
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #33
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Come over to the Dark Side, we have cookies

Unread 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #34
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk
Don't tempt me! I've always wanted a black one with it being a rubi and LJ is really tempting me.

I asked the guy to run some numbers to see what kind of trade in I would see on my jeep. But I know that would not be a chance id rather private sell my rig.

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #35
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
What exactly else should I look for on these? I pressed the locker button and didn't see the light flick on, but I was stationary.
Main thing to look for is rust, the frames have a tendency to rust from the inside out and it can get a bit pricey to repair. Other than that it's pretty much the standard used car list -- watch out for leaks, weird noises, worn parts, handling problems, evidence of collision damage/repair, etc.

As for the lockers, unless modified they will only engage when the transfer case is in 4LO and you are stopped/moving less than 10mph. Pushing the button once will turn on the rear, pushing again will toggle the front ON/OFF, pulling the switch back up will turn them both OFF.
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk

Main thing to look for is rust, the frames have a tendency to rust from the inside out and it can get a bit pricey to repair. Other than that it's pretty much the standard used car list -- watch out for leaks, weird noises, worn parts, handling problems, evidence of collision damage/repair, etc.

As for the lockers, unless modified they will only engage when the transfer case is in 4LO and you are stopped/moving less than 10mph. Pushing the button once will turn on the rear, pushing again will toggle the front ON/OFF, pulling the switch back up will turn them both OFF.
Yea thanks ill have to check it out, hope to test drive it Monday.

I know it's got rust on the door handles- typical jeep rust spot. Fenders are clean.

My Progress Page
Unread 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can speak on the car seat issue. 06 LJ stock height. I am 5'10" 175# reasonably fit.

I purchased my LJ Rubi the week before my son was born. I've had him in there rear facing, with a car seat that snaps into a base that is mounted via the LATCH points. I've never had a problem getting him in and out with that setup. It was far enough back for my wife to ride comfortably up front. A permenant rear facing seat would be more difficult. I honestly wouldn't even try that.

If I was in your shoes, I would either get a seat that snaps in and out of the base or wait until the little one is ready for forward facing. My daughter was 4 when I got the LJ and did require assistance buckling up. She only uses a booster. She is now 6 and buckles herself in. She climbs in and out of the jeep with little assistance from me.

My advice is look at her weight and height, try to figure how much longer she will be rear facing, then decide if you are willing to buy a new seat (assuming you don't already have that type of seat, we did so it was easy) that you might not use very long or if you would rather wait till she is forward facing.

Good luck hunting for your LJ. I wasn't looking when I bought mine, just ran into a guy that was trying to sell it, and I couldn't pass up the deal.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I could have held out for a LJ, the extra room would be great.
Just thinking here... is there ANY way you can hold out/save for a JK 4dr? the rear doors would make it way more practical as a second vehicle and lots easier for people of all sizes to get in and out of.
If you could find yourself a lower trim JK and upgrade in time might be an option, my next one will probably be a JK, but that's down the road.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #39
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Just thinking here... is there ANY way you can hold out/save for a JK 4dr? the rear doors would make it way more practical as a second vehicle and lots easier for people of all sizes to get in and out of.
If you could find yourself a lower trim JK and upgrade in time might be an option, my next one will probably be a JK, but that's down the road.
Agreed as long as it is a 2012 or later.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #40
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
So I test drove it.. Does feel smoother than my TJ due to the wheelbase and the 6cyl is
The seating in the thing is deff odd/strange, I was right sunk in. But that's nothing really and a few washers can't fix.

But the thing had quite a few issues that my quick glance missed on Friday..
1) severe rust on passenger floor, the carpet was wet and we've had nothing but 30+ Celsius weather this last week. It was quite bad.

2) gear 1, 2 and 3 I could hear some sort of POP as I shifted into it. The clutch worked fine but the shifter was just weird and very stiff.

3)The 4wd shifter was also messed, pulling it back into 4hi it wouldn't activate at the stop mark when you pull it all the way back you have to push it some forward in order to activate even then it seemed fidgety. I couldn't even get it into 4low to test lockers as the shifter wouldnt go to the side at all, I used my whole body to push it over to pull it back and just no go at all..

4) some odd clunks/taps on bumps and braking, believe the trans mount is gone. Seemed like the seal behind the oil pan and trans was leaking too. Did not sound very good. Underneath was just too rusted for my liking.

This made my 97 look like new vehicle.
My Progress Page
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
goofiefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe108 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
Agreed as long as it is a 2012 or later.
I think that's going to have to be the plan. My wife looks at me buying a LJ as a stop-gap before I move to a JK (she may be right - she's a pretty smart girl), so I'll just hold out for a while longer. Thanks for the info!
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #42
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
I think that's going to have to be the plan. My wife looks at me buying a LJ as a stop-gap before I move to a JK (she may be right - she's a pretty smart girl), so I'll just hold out for a while longer. Thanks for the info!
It all depends on what you want to use it for.

Do you want a 4 door minivan (like the wife wants) or do you want a Jeep with a little more room ?

I have looked at the Jk since they came out and even rented a 4 door 2012 when my wifes Outback was in the body shop. They are gutless turds.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
aikenjeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Keep searching. I just purchased an '05 LJ last month. I searched and found one in Florida. It's a 2 owner, 35k miles, 4.0, 6 speed, full color matched Rhino Lined interior front to back, soft and hard top, brand new American Racing rims and Michelin LTX tires, aftermarket front and rear bumpers with swing out tire carrier, nice sound system and a clean carfax. I paid $15,500 for it.

We have already put 2k miles on it, and we just pulled a pop up camper (1800 lbs) from SC to IN and back with no issues. Remember the LJ has a 3500 lb. tow rating compared to a standard TJ's 1000 lb.

It runs flawlessly and we have been very happy with our purchase. Oh, and our 7 year old daughter rode the entire trip in the back seat.

Hope you have good luck in your search.

aikenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #44
JohnyPro
2006 LJ Wrangler 

CT Jeep Member #19
Yellow Jeep Member # 104
LJ Owners Group Member # 140

PMA: Positive Mental Attitude

- It's what reminds you as you're stuck in the mud, that at least you're stuck in the mud and not in an office cubicle!

God is great, Beer is good, an' people are crazy!

[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]DEVILDG03[/B][/COLOR]
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.[/QUOTE]
JohnyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #45
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea I would hold out for an LJ if you really want one. The JK is nothing like a true Jeep and every one I have rode in rattles because of the cheap plastic pilars around the doors. Plus a V6 in a Jeep is just wrong.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.