Considering an LJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Considering an LJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
goofiefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjeep05 View Post
No problem its all good man. When looking for Jeeps stay away from Collin bros in Wylie they get junk Jeeps and throw pucks with 33s on everything and call it custom lol. They fail to actually put a full size spare because they say its to heavy for the hinges but, its more like they are cheap and want people to see there collin bros tire cover on there.
I've heard similar reviews in the past (back in the early 2000s when I was considering a Jeep before). I guess some things don't change.

goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

I have not had to deal with child seats but the rear seat would work fine for a couple of kids and they love jeeps.
The passenger seat has the fold/ slide mechanism so it is easier to get in the back.

The good thing is the A/C works great but I would probably get a hardtop if I was planning on a roadtrip with kids. In the Texas heat, the soft top is not as good at keeping the a/c in
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
GrassLakeRon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Right now I am down to just my LJ. I have two boys 5'9" and 5'3" (13&10). They fit just fine. I have room even for my german short hair behind the back seat and a bag or two.
GrassLakeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
JohnyPro
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't be concerned with the D30 up front. It allows you more options as you move forward. Especially, since the D44 that the rubicons came with are not much stonger than a D30, sharing many of the same parts to save manufacturing costs.

When you get up to 4" in lift, it gets squirrelly with bump steer, etc. in a short arm set up. When I upgraded to Clayton's pro link long arm with 5.5" of lift, it drove like stock again! Another great tip to increase smoothness in ride is to outboard the rear shocks. Mine has 112,xxx on the clock and has never given me an issue! I beat the hell out of it on the trail and drive it daily to work and on trips!
CT Jeep Member #19
Yellow Jeep Member # 104
LJ Owners Group Member # 140

PMA: Positive Mental Attitude

- It's what reminds you as you're stuck in the mud, that at least you're stuck in the mud and not in an office cubicle!

God is great, Beer is good, an' people are crazy!

[QUOTE][COLOR="DarkRed"][B]DEVILDG03[/B][/COLOR]
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.[/QUOTE]
JohnyPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

How old is your daughter? Or, more specifically, car seat or booster? Wrestling a kid into a car seat in the back of a Jeep is not an easy task, probably moreso with an LJ, as the rear seat is a little further back. Much easier with the top down, though. My son had problems buckling himself in for a while (seatbelts are a little stiff, and the button side is not supported). However, with kids you don't necessarily need to push the seat forward to let them in. They're more than happy to just climb over your seat (and laugh as they wipe their wet shoes on it).
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
goofiefoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
How old is your daughter? Or, more specifically, car seat or booster? Wrestling a kid into a car seat in the back of a Jeep is not an easy task, probably moreso with an LJ, as the rear seat is a little further back. Much easier with the top down, though. My son had problems buckling himself in for a while (seatbelts are a little stiff, and the button side is not supported). However, with kids you don't necessarily need to push the seat forward to let them in. They're more than happy to just climb over your seat (and laugh as they wipe their wet shoes on it).
She's just over a year, and is in a rear-facing car seat right now, but we're getting close to moving her to a more upright setup. I'm 6'3" so she would most likely ride behind the passenger seat, but my concern is the space for any passenger with that set up. My wife is 5'3" and in my BMW she can fit with the car seat behind her, but anyone taller is pretty squished.
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #22
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
I've heard similar reviews in the past (back in the early 2000s when I was considering a Jeep before). I guess some things don't change.
Yea it hasn't. I remember back in 2000 I think it was is when Dennis Collins opened the place up. As far as old NOS parts for CJ'S and YJ's go he has them and in that respect they are okay. When it comes to sales except for a very few Jeeps he gets many are run of the mill Jeeps for cheap at auctions around the country. All he does is put some cheap buckshot 33s and the famous Black Mountain puck lift which might cost him 1,000 all together on each Jeep then he might change the engine oil as well as top off other fluids and give it a good bath. Back in 2003 I was looking at a really nice Sahara with only 25,000 miles on it and he was wanting 17k which wasn't a horrible price but, the Jeep was missing carpet in the back and the doors had a few dings on them from taking on and off as well as the 30x9.50 spare on the back. What he was wanting to do was pull carpet out of a another Jeep that had stains on it and just have someone touch up the doors. When I ask him about the tire in the back he told me that you can't run anything bigger than a 30 because the hinges will break on the tailgate plus it won't fit. I'm here to tell you he is full of crap because I run 32s on mine just fine and have been since 2007 with no problems. I can see running bigger than 33s causing problems but, 33s and smaller no way. When I told him you can easily run a little bit bigger tires than that he got offended. I ask if he would budge on the price and he said no that all Jeeps are final price. That was my experience . I see Jeeps around here all the time with 33s and a little 30x9.50 are smaller spare from Collin Bros Jeep. They think they got a great deal and bad *** Jeep but, truth is you could have found a Jeep on Craigs thats better off lol. I see you want the NSG 370 six speed but, other than that what else are you looking for? I can check around for you and see. 2005-2006 are the only LJ's with the option six speed as well. The late model 04's LJ's only had the 42RLE because the switch over to the six speed for the 2005 year was in place.
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #23
cjheap
1985 CJ7 

Personally, I would seek out a Rubicon simply because the package is cheaper than re gearing to run bigger tires. In my non Rubicon LJ, 33's were out of the sweet spot.

While the 44 in the front does share outters with a 30, a set of alloys brings them in line with a full 44 a lot cheaper than building a super 30. I did that with my 1st LJ and it is essentially an ARB that accepts the Rubicon shafts.

Then you also get a 4:1 transfer case that does not need a slip joint eliminator.

Also, resale will be better.

It will cost a little more upfront ( mine was actually less expensive than non rubi LJs locally ) but save you a bundle in in upgrades later.
cjheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
She's just over a year, and is in a rear-facing car seat right now, but we're getting close to moving her to a more upright setup. I'm 6'3" so she would most likely ride behind the passenger seat, but my concern is the space for any passenger with that set up. My wife is 5'3" and in my BMW she can fit with the car seat behind her, but anyone taller is pretty squished.
The extra legroom in the back of the LJ will definitely help you out.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

No disrepect but the below statement is not true. With a good SA kit and the right steering you get no bump steer and you preserve your Jeeps original geometery. Get a cheap lift and yes you can chase your tail for a long time trying to get back to the stock ride. Get a Currie or Savvy lift and you get a great ride.

Clayton is a great kit but the ride is more dependent on the shocks and springs than the suspension geometry. Good shocks and spring rates means good ride. Downside to a LA kit is much more expensive and you have to chop all of the brackets off. With that said, I like Clayton and consider him a friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyPro View Post
When you get up to 4" in lift, it gets squirrelly with bump steer, etc. in a short arm set up. When I upgraded to Clayton's pro link long arm with 5.5" of lift, it drove like stock again! Another great tip to increase smoothness in ride is to outboard the rear shocks. Mine has 112,xxx on the clock and has never given me an issue! I beat the hell out of it on the trail and drive it daily to work and on trips!

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #26
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

As for LJ's and infants, it is hard to get them in their seats and belted up if you're short. Especially with a lifted Jeep its tough. But if the kids can strap themselves in no problem.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #27
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How has it worked out for you with small children, particularly for road trips? I would use mine daily, and while I only have a 2.5 mile drive each way to work, I drop off my daughter at daycare each morning.
Last summer when my son was 4 and my daughter was 7 we went 6000 miles over 3 weeks and this summer we went 7000 miles over 4 weeks . Last summer when my son couldnt buckle and unbuckle very easily it was tough , but now that he can take care of himself its no problem traveling in the LJ .
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
goofiefoot

I saw a craigslist ad today for a LJ on a car lot here in Austin and swung by. They happened to be open, and the guy gave me the keys to give it a look. The rear seat space was much larger than I expected, and I see no problem with putting my daughter and maybe our dog back there for trips. This particular Jeep was in rough shape, and I have no intention of pursuing it.

I'm not sure my wife's sold, though. She liked the JKU's we test drove, and I think she may want the extra room. We're talking it all through now, but at least I got to get my hands on one. Of course, if she starts pushing for the newer Jeep, I may have to follow her lead.
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've got an LJ and JK Unlimited, The LJ is nice and has loads more space than a regular TJ. But with both in the driveway if I had to deal with a car seat it would be in the JK not the LJ. Bottom line if the wife will resent the LJ because she wanted the JK you know the right answer.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seeing this thread I stumbled on a LJ this evening on my local classifieds..

06 LJ Rubi, black on black, manual. 125k KMs (not sure what that is in miles) they want just under 14K for it.

Very tempting..

Sent from the I-device using an APP
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.