Considering a Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Considering a Jeep

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Sixtyplus

Considering a Jeep

Newb here with a couple of questions about Jeeps. I am not new to Jeeps but it has been a while since I had a '78 CJ7 Renegade. One thing I don't question is that once you have a Jeep, you never stop wanting one! Thus my current thought about getting another one.

Been poking around and looking at '13 Wranglers. I notice that the fuel mileage is now rated at 21 highway, up from 19 on previous years. I know the EPA does not test vehicles under the same conditions that most folks drive their vehicles, but wondered if 21 is even close to what those of you that have one are seeing.

Next, I see a lot of new Wranglers have the upgrade to 3.73 gears from the stock 3.21. When it comes to fuel mileage again, does anyone know if the 3.73 lowers the mileage much from the 3.21? I know it depends on how you drive one, but I am just trying to get an idea as we do drive a bit now that I am retired. Though the fuel mileage is not a deal killer, I do wonder about it.

And last, as my user ID indicates, I am 60+ and really thinking that I want a 6-speed rather than the automatic. To me, Jeep Wranglers are just supposed to have a manual tranny! My daughter had a '10 JKU with auto and it drove pretty good and got about 2-3 mpg more than rated.

Sorry about the long post and so many questions right out of the box! I retired from IT and will suffer analysis paralysis before pulling the trigger or changing my mind!

Sixtyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I've driven multiple JK (I work as a tech at a CDJ dealer) and a lot of customers are averaging in the upper teens with their JK's. I'm sure if I owned one I could manage 21+mpg on the highway no problem. EPA tests have come a long way in being more accurate with actual real world mileage.

For the gears, there's really no difference in fuel mileage. Don't bother with the 3.21s, go straight for the 3.73 and you will not regret it one bit. I'd even say go for the Rubicon and get the 4.10s but thats my opinion.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Sixtyplus

Thanks for the input, LJameson. I am glad to hear that real world users are seeing that kind of mileage. My Buick SUV will strain to get 19.5 on long highway trips and I am usually drive pretty much the speed limit. Any Jeep would be more of a DD than an offroader and something to drop the top and enjoy a ride in the country. Where we live, hills are more like speed bumps and I don't anticipate driving as far as we would have to just to play off road. But, I was thinking that the lower gears would make the driving experience a little better but did not want to sacrifice too much fuel economy.

Your input helps!
Unread 06-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Campsen
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My 4 cylinder YJ got 15mpg when it was stock... If you're worried about fuel economy then I wouldn't bother buying a jeep lol. And with the higher gear ratio, it will significantly affect your gas mileage
Campsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have 700 miles on my 13' sport 6speed with 3:73's and so far all city driving I get 17.3 mpg
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Sixtyplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I have 700 miles on my 13' sport 6speed with 3:73's and so far all city driving I get 17.3 mpg
Sounds like the new models are better on fuel economy than the older ones were! That might be enough to help convince the chairwoman of the finance department that a new Wrangler is OK! She needs a little "push".
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
MadGerbil
2013 JK Wrangler 

I do lots of highway driving and I get consistent 21 mpg.
When I begin to mix in city driving it drops to 19 mpg.
MadGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixtyplus View Post
Sounds like the new models are better on fuel economy than the older ones were! That might be enough to help convince the chairwoman of the finance department that a new Wrangler is OK! She needs a little "push".
Go for a test drive! "It's a Jeep thing."
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

This thing is no slouch either!

The six speed is so much fun!

Of course one day with bigger tires I will miss all that lol
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
...Of course one day with bigger tires I will miss all that lol
Not if you regear it

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know it has already been confirmed but when i first got my 13 jk i got 21 mpg (hand calculated). Now that it has roughly 11k on it i am getting almost 23 mpg (hand calculated). That is a 50 mile commute to work (round trip) going 60mph on the highway and about 55mph. 6 speed all the way!
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Sixtyplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Go for a test drive! "It's a Jeep thing."
I expect it to get to a test drive but it is inches at this point rather than miles!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.