chrysler dropping jeep?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > chrysler dropping jeep?!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

chrysler dropping jeep?!

Has anyone heard about this?!

Im from Detroit and have some friends that told me Chrysler might be dropping jeep bc they want to have their own brand and might be acquired in a bid from ford or gm.

Anyone from the motorcity hear anything about this? I heard Chrysler is just about giving any jeep away to key people, consultants, gm's and other folks in the organization. Buddy of mine has told me he can get jeep branded vehicle built however he wants for 17k. Key people being a very loosely defined phrase.

Someone please confirm or refute this with fact bc I have some concerns....

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Funniest thing I've heard today.
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying2275 View Post
almost, second most absurd thing I have seen today here. I though it was april 1st again.

If they could GM or ford could build a 4x4 like a jeep for 17K. then why can't they buld a a freeking pick up 4x4 for that?

Jeep JK has been selling so well since 012 that they have had to build them around the clock. open more space to build them.

I would love to see ford make a Jeep Jk Cj what ever. I said back in the bail out that Ford should have picked up Jeep and there should have been no bail out for GM or Chrysler. what did we get for that. Camaro built in canada Chrysler sold out to Fiat.

Chrysler owns the Jeep logo. But not the CJ that is why we have wranglers.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying2275 View Post
x2

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm not preaching this to be the truth so ease up there. I just heard this from a number of people with close ties to Chrysler in Detroit. Just heard jeep wants to get away from Chrysler bc other than jeep and dodge they're failing. Whatever
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
DeafJeep

Hope Ford buys Jeep and keeps the Jeep firmly in American hands.

No more German hands anymore. Chrysler is under German hands of the Mercedes-Benz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_AG

My grandfather is a WW II veteran and he saw the holocaust camps. He was not happy about the Germans acquiring the U.S.A. Made Jeeps.

Ford can buy the Jeeps and keep the Jeep factories rolling 24/7 firmly in American hands.
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Just heard jeep wants to get away from Chrysler bc other than jeep and dodge they're failing.
Now that could have the smell of truth in it somewhere. Jeep is hot right now and seems to be doing more than great for the lowest MPG thing you could have that wont do over 100mph

How is the Fiat 500 doing? they still diving off cliffs tops to get here?

well the german trans in mine is amazing all o12's were still using a german made w580 auto. I thought though that Jeep has building a plant to build these trans here? not sure if that has happened.

I have been a Jeep fan since the 60"s. When My best friends dad said we are going to run the rubicon, was like in 69. Living in tahoe made the getting there easy. He had a 68, Baby blue with a V6 buick. man that was sweetest thing since sliced bread. I knew that week end that I would have to have me a Jeep one day.

Ford built Jeeps back in ww2 as well as willys. To me it would be a win win to have a Ford CJ( if they could get that logo). drop the wrangler brand. Just a Jeep Cj (insert a number).
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how either Dodge (Ram) or Jeep could break ties with Chrysler/Fiat? That would leave Chrysler/Fiat with nothing.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafJeep View Post
Hope Ford buys Jeep and keeps the Jeep firmly in American hands.

No more German hands anymore. Chrysler is under German hands of the Mercedes-Benz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_AG

My grandfather is a WW II veteran and he saw the holocaust camps. He was not happy about the Germans acquiring the U.S.A. Made Jeeps.

Ford can buy the Jeeps and keep the Jeep factories rolling 24/7 firmly in American hands.
Wow, welcome to 1998.

Daimler sold off Chrysler in 2008 after running Chrysler to the ground.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
johnqh
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not possible. There are all kinds of regulations and vehicle requirements that a single Jeep brand cannot satisfy. For example, CARB requires certain number of EV from each manufacturer to sell in calif. Fiat will have the 500e. What will an independent Jeep do? Not selling in California?
johnqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt it will ever happen, but I'd kill for a Ford built JK with the ECOBOOST engine. That would be sweet and I'd sleep better with jeep out of the hands of the axis nations.

Sent from my TJ
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It would be suicide for Chrysler to drop Jeep... its one of their best selling lines, isnt it?

That said, a GM or Ford Jeep would be pretty nifty if they kept it to the same format, but using a small V8 or (as mentioned) an ecoboost.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #14
DeafJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
That one is a classic. I wish it was not true but our politicans in Washington DC sold us out. What were they thinking when they were trying to out score American jobs overseas. * smh *

Yeah, I would sleep better at night knowing the Jeeps are firmly back in American hands.
DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #15
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqh View Post
Not possible. There are all kinds of regulations and vehicle requirements that a single Jeep brand cannot satisfy. For example, CARB requires certain number of EV from each manufacturer to sell in calif. Fiat will have the 500e. What will an independent Jeep do? Not selling in California?
As it is Fiat loses money on each 500e because of the lame government crap, but that keeps them in business. The headline is that Tesla is actually making profit, which is true, but a big part of that is that other manufacturers actually subsidize Tesla for each electric vehicle they don't build (and it's still cheaper for these companies than to try to market something that won't sell).

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.