chrysler dealers need customer service training - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > chrysler dealers need customer service training

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
shaun72079
1994 YJ Wrangler 

chrysler dealers need customer service training

so here's the story. i went to 2 dealers here in my area looking a used 4 door jk's for my wife. dealer 1 seamed to not have any sales people around after waiting 45 mins we walked out. went to dealer 2 wanted to test drive an 08 sahara the salesman needs to pull my credit before hand well i guess my credit was not good enough for them (its over 700). they didnt seem to take me seriolsly even though i have over 10 grand to put down. the salesman heemed an hawed and dragged his feet until we left without a test drive even the finance guy was a prick . i could have complained to the manager but we were so pissed we left. maybe if chrysler could get its dealers to treat customers with some respect they might be able to sell cars. i'm buying her new car online it's easier. anyway just needed to vent

Unread 04-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
skiahh
2009 JK Wrangler 

Never, EVER let them pull credit on you until you are ready to sign a note!!!

Remember, pulling a credit report puts an inquiry on your record and dings you a few points.

And, until you are ready to deal, the dealership has no need whatsoever to pull a credit report on anyone. Any dealer asks me for one before we're sitting down to finalize a deal, sees my *** as it heads for the door.

By giving them your credit info, you're also arming them with info about how much you can afford.

You got taken badly... and didn't even get a Jeep!
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

X2! That just hit your credit report when all you went in for was a test drive!

There's plenty of dealerships out there. If one pulls that stuff, go to the other, buy the car there, then bring it back and show the crappy dealer who got your money.

It's easy to have bad customer service when you can just beg for the bailout...
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
CFreddy

X2. Those hits on your credit bureau taken by credit checks can damage your credit score. I feel your pain as far as the staff is concerned. I went to two stealerships around here and both were completely oblivious to the jeep science. One tried to talk me into putting smaller tires on my LJ to make it look more like a hummer. That was about the time I walked out.
CFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
dilbertbert
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When I was buying my TJ I made the used car dealer replace both O2 sensors. He took it to local Chrysler dealer. Once the parts came in I called them to see when they would have it done, 1st call they said they would have it in the shop within an hour, 3 hours later they said it would be in the shop within an hour, 3rd call they told me they had it in the shop working on it, but, I was sitting in the parking lot looking at the Jeep. I called the guy a liar and he got upset told me he was looking at it being worked on now. I confirmed with him model, year and color before I told him I was sitting in the lot looking at it still parked out back as I was walking in the door. You should have seen his face. I can't stand being lied to! If they were busy and couldn't get to it then OK, but to lie really pissed me off. I chewed on him a little and wound up talking to a manager of some kind.

I figure if that's how they treat all their customers I'd never buy anything off their lot.

Christian Jeep Group Member #143
dilbertbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know how you were dressed but if you're seriously looking plan to wear nice clothes when you go. It makes sales staff take you more serious, also carry a manila folder with some basic information about the vehicle, your w2 or recent paystub, maybe your simple budget and current vehicle title/loan statement. If you approach them on their level they'll match you.

As for dealers and service shops every garage big/small has flaws. Often just like doctors they double book appointments (since people are often no call no show) and things get rushed or pushed aside. A lot of times it's not personal but people take it personally. Calling 3 times in 45 minutes isn't going to make it better, if you need the vehicle that quick you should let them know when you mak ethe appointment and let them know you're waiting. FYI regardless of what time the other appointments are they put in people waiting first.

That said I see the OP is in CT. I drive 40 minutes to a dealership I like...this includes driving past some major jeep franchises. I used to have a YJ and I went to some of these other places and I hate them all LOL. Places I skip are gengras, holley, crowley, papa's, and executive. I drive to the NW corner (grew up around there and trust this small family owned dealership, plus I have a reason to go to the area) to Northwest Hill Chrysler Jeep Chevy. Go there and talk to Paul MacBeth and you should have a good experience.

http://www.northwesthillschrysler.com/index.htm

Ditto on not letting them run your credit and if they ran your credit without your approval report them at ftc.gov
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
skiahh
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
I don't know how you were dressed but if you're seriously looking plan to wear nice clothes when you go. It makes sales staff take you more serious, also carry a manila folder with some basic information about the vehicle, your w2 or recent paystub, maybe your simple budget and current vehicle title/loan statement. If you approach them on their level they'll match you.
Bull! If they're not willing to work with anyone who comes in the door, they shouldn't get a sale at all.

You don't need to take a single sheet of paper in with you (though taking printouts of exactly what you want, the Jeep.com EPP price or KBB/Edmonds pricing for non-EPP stuff or used vehicles is smart). When you make a deal and it's time to do the loan, all they need is your SSN and DOB and they'll pull the credit score. If it's good, you don't need anything else.

And if you do decide to take all that stuff in, my original response still applies. Do not, under any circumstances, show them your stuff until you have a signed price deal and are in the credit app process. Until that point - and not a second before that - they have no need whatsoever of knowing your credit status.

Oh, and please post the name of this crappy dealer, too.
Unread 04-13-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

All the chysler dealerships will need to know what to say is, "were bankrupt and are closing the doord, goodbye".
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Bull! If they're not willing to work with anyone who comes in the door, they shouldn't get a sale at all.

You don't need to take a single sheet of paper in with you (though taking printouts of exactly what you want, the Jeep.com EPP price or KBB/Edmonds pricing for non-EPP stuff or used vehicles is smart). When you make a deal and it's time to do the loan, all they need is your SSN and DOB and they'll pull the credit score. If it's good, you don't need anything else.

And if you do decide to take all that stuff in, my original response still applies. Do not, under any circumstances, show them your stuff until you have a signed price deal and are in the credit app process. Until that point - and not a second before that - they have no need whatsoever of knowing your credit status.

Oh, and please post the name of this crappy dealer, too.
You may not think you need to go the "extra mile" but from working in a field that requires constant negotiations let me tell you if you play on their field you have a better shot at getting what you want. Maybe you play by the philosophy of "the customer is always right" but guess what? In business you need to work the part in order to get what you want. If you think you can go in and bully your way into a deal then enjoy paying sticker price.
Unread 04-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You may not think you need to go the "extra mile" but from working in a field that requires constant negotiations let me tell you if you play on their field you have a better shot at getting what you want. Maybe you play by the philosophy of "the customer is always right" but guess what? In business you need to work the part in order to get what you want. If you think you can go in and bully your way into a deal then enjoy paying sticker price.
Well said man.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #11
shaun72079
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i was dressed nice not wearing a suit or anything but nice,im 30yrs old ive played their game a few times. i had the only piece of paper that should matter to a company on the verge of bankrupcy, my checkbook. i had no trade or anything just looking for a nice used jeep for my wife. i never even made to price negotiating they were jerk offs from the minute i walked in. their loss i will spend my money at a place that wants it. as far a treating like its a business deal its not im a customer and they a vying for my business not the other way around. im an electrical contrator i could never treat my customers like that
Unread 04-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
skiahh
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Never have and never will. I don't bully, but I do take the attitude that I don't need what they're selling as much as they need to sell it to me. I don't begrudge a fair profit and am happy if I get the deal I think is fair. Could I have nickel and dime'd dealers in the past? Yep. Have I... probably. But in the last few cars I've bought, I think I got a fair price and the dealer made some money. The last two well below MSRP... and below invoice.
Unread 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
matthart

i agree, ... there are a bunch of idiots working at dodge/chrysler dealerships.
that was the main reason i bought an fj years back...
i believe chrysler is having issues with innovative managers, and basically need to trade their fossils in for some new blood.
*sigh*... a little too late for the change I believe.
matthart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun72079 View Post
so here's the story. i went to 2 dealers here in my area looking a used 4 door jk's for my wife. dealer 1 seamed to not have any sales people around after waiting 45 mins we walked out. went to dealer 2 wanted to test drive an 08 sahara the salesman needs to pull my credit before hand well i guess my credit was not good enough for them (its over 700). they didnt seem to take me seriolsly even though i have over 10 grand to put down. the salesman heemed an hawed and dragged his feet until we left without a test drive even the finance guy was a prick . i could have complained to the manager but we were so pissed we left. maybe if chrysler could get its dealers to treat customers with some respect they might be able to sell cars. i'm buying her new car online it's easier. anyway just needed to vent
Same thing happened to me. Tried local first. Found a good deal on a 2007 sahara with mygig, 6 speed, both tops, 19,000 miles, CB, 35" BF goodrich, 17" custom, light bar, $21500. *exactly what I wanted*

This was at a Ford Dealership in Columbus, OH. After driving 100 miles to see it, they insulted me on my trade and offered 2000 (99 dodge dakota RT going for 6500 to 9000 on ebay at the time - I ended up getting 7000 private party). I was impressed with the test drive, though. I shot him 20K and he wouldnt budge a dollar on the price. I asked if the boost on the Jeep to tuck 35s was budget or short arm.... he didnt know. Did the lift void the warranty? He didnt know.

I asked him what kind of financing I'd be looking at at that price. The monthly payments for 60 months were 11% (he didnt expect me to bring my finance calc from college). I told him to @&*$ himself and walked out.

Did the online thing. Found a $23800 07 auto with no my gig, stock rims/tires but 9800 miles. This also had a certified extended warranty (3/39 8/80) and it was at a Dodge dealer. Shot him 21000 ended at $22400 (with 6.15% from my bank, it is cheaper after 5 years anyway). very happy with purchase. I get to do my own thing with customizing as well.

Never get too attached to a vehicle. If your salesman is a ****, they prolly will be when something breaks. Get the deal you want. Buyers market.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun72079 View Post
i was dressed nice not wearing a suit or anything but nice,im 30yrs old ive played their game a few times. i had the only piece of paper that should matter to a company on the verge of bankrupcy, my checkbook. i had no trade or anything just looking for a nice used jeep for my wife. i never even made to price negotiating they were jerk offs from the minute i walked in. their loss i will spend my money at a place that wants it. as far a treating like its a business deal its not im a customer and they a vying for my business not the other way around. im an electrical contrator i could never treat my customers like that
So do we get the name of the dealership or not? Actually the dealership I recommended had a nice Rubicon unlimited (TJ) on the lot...it was an Automatic. Not sure about the specs but it looked like a nice used Jeep.

As for some of the other posts what is true about customer service is that there are idiots working everywhere, people often think they have gold, knowledge is power, and if both parties don't feel like they "lost something" then it's not a successful negotiation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.