Cheapest insurance coverage for a Jeep Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Cheapest insurance coverage for a Jeep Wrangler?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-02-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
jakeshaffer

Cheapest insurance coverage for a Jeep Wrangler?

Just bought a '11 Wrangler from a friend

It's still sitting in my drive way, not driven yet as I've yet to buy insurance for it

What do you guys recommend for the cheapest insurance?

I'm looking to get the cheapest possible, basic, minimum insurance. (I don't like throwing my money away on insurance).

Where should I go? I got quotes from GEICO, Allstate, Progressive, and esurance so far. I want something a bit cheaper.

jakeshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Insurance can be a good way to protect your investment. No one plans to crash, but having the insurance makes it a lot easier of you do. For such a new vehicle, I'd get full coverage, but do what you want. I have mine insured by Progressive. They've been pretty good so far.
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is no such thing as a blanket cheapest insurance coverage. It depends on where you live, how much you drive, your driving record, who is on your policy, your vehicle etc.
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have yet to find auto insurance that's been cheaper than Progressive. I'd start there.
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
SilvFx
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dont delay. If that thing disappears from your driveway....you are screwed. Stranger things have happened. Pick the best of the quotes you have so far and pull the trigger. You can continue shopping for better rates. If you decide to change companies they will pro-rate your premiums (e.g. give you a refund for the unused portion).
SilvFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
jakeshaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
I have yet to find auto insurance that's been cheaper than Progressive. I'd start there.
Been there, done that. They are quoting me at like $80/month average rate. Yikes.
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
jakeshaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvFx View Post
dont delay. If that thing disappears from your driveway....you are screwed.
well, I believe my car won't be covered anyways. i'm not planning on getting comprehensive coverage (which covers theft, if i'm not mistaken).
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
jakeshaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
Insurance can be a good way to protect your investment. No one plans to crash, but having the insurance makes it a lot easier of you do. For such a new vehicle, I'd get full coverage, but do what you want. I have mine insured by Progressive. They've been pretty good so far.
Like I said in the original post, Progressive is a bit expensive for me with their $75/month average rates. (I'm a cheapskate, lol)

The cheapest I found so far was from http://www.4autoinsurancequote.com for $56/month, but I think I can do better.

Getting quotes from every single insurance company I can find. Will let u guys know who is the cheapest.
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Adam013085

With a 2011 wrangler anything less than full coverage is pretty crazy IMO. You are talking about a vehicle worth at least 20k to an insurance company. Why would you not have full coverage (including theft, comprehensive, and collision)? I know in Illinois you are required by law to carry full coverage on any vehicle with a loan but I carry full coverage on all my vehicles that are worth the cost of them to insure.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

as long as you have it paid for you can just get the "insurance for the other guy". If it has a loan i am sure in the contact you must have full coverage.
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

at least get a decent ins company. I just got done with my case in sept for an accident that happened on Jan 2nd of 2012. the other driver had some bs ins company that was known for not paying. luckily i had progressive and paid my deductible to get the ball rolling. I have yet to receive my deductible back. it'll be 2 years in a few weeks, all because the guy had a cut rate ins company. dont be that guy. just think, if i only had liability, i would have been without a vehicle for two years because a ****** bag hit me and had ****ty ins.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Insurance is only "throwing your money away" until the first time you need it. Then you get it.

How did you actually buy a car without insurance? DMV in NY won't record the transfer and reregister without at least proof of liability insurance.
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know that each state is different. I have full coverage on all my vehicles. It has paid off significantly. Had one car vandalized. Insurance paid me over $8000. Another time, I was merging onto a road, driving in the center lane, looked over my shoulder to check my blind spot, when I turned my head back I was aimed directly for one of those center lane separators or curbs. They had just installed a week back. Didn't have time to do anything. The center of the car (not my Jeep) hit the divider. Oil pan, trans pan, cross member and exhaust were damaged. Insurance covered it all. **** happens. I will never not have full coverage, especially on a 20k vehicle.
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The best way to have less expensive insurance is to stay with the same carrier and have multiple policies.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If $75/month is too much for you, then you need to be riding the bus.

You do understand what will happen if you're at fault and the damage exceeds your coverage right? The victim's insurance will cover them, then they'll rape you in court. So in addition to not having a vehicle (because yours is not broken), you'll be on the hook to the other insurance company. God help you if there are injuries involved or you get sued as a result of the accident.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.