Cheap Winch...can it be any good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Cheap Winch...can it be any good?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cheap Winch...can it be any good?

I've found the Smittybilt XRC8 winch for $299 at 4wheelparts.com. Sounds too good to be true, or at least worth having. Is this a good buy or should I keep on looking?

Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

A lot of people run it. Its a good winch for the price. Doesnt beat a Warn though.
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
diamonddave
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the smitty built XRC8. I bought for $289 from winchdepot.com and I love it. Dont listen to anyone who says its "sucks" or its cheap. people will say Buy a "warn" Smiitybuilt winches are built by TMAX from australia. The power cables on the winch actually say TMAX on them and yesterday my XRC8 pulled a f350 1 ton diesel running 37's out mud up to his bumper. For a once a week pull its worth every penny.

2003 TJ 3" of lift, 35" BFG KM2"s, Detroit tru tracs front n rear, 4.56's, Rokmen front bumper, rock hard sliders, Gen-Right tube fenders, blahblahblah. (for sale)
diamonddave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I have that winch BUT make sure you get the second generation version. It's got 5.5 hp, series wound motor and much better specs all the way around. 4WP is trying to get rid of first generation models, so MAKE SURE.

I got this winch because I don't see myself using a winch every time I go out. If you think you'll be using it a lot, get more substantial winch with a more substantial pulling rate.

Smittys are not the best winch on the market but they're not terrible - since all winches are (to varying degrees) made in China or with Chinese parts. Smitty winches are just rebadged T-Max winches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Dmax5er
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Good for the money ... but this is better....12000 LB MILEMARKER.. i paid 550 shipped.
Dmax5er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Voyame
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip about Winchdepot, DiamondDave, it's only $269 right now. And yep, it's a 4.1 permanent magnet motor, not the series wound. Wish I knew more about the pros and cons of the motors.
Voyame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #7
Bigboyky
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought the Smittybuilt. My thought was this. For the cost and the time I'll be using it I couldn't go wrong. It's saved my butt. Some people say it's to slow. But I don't need a winch for going fast, heck I drive a YJ with 33's and a 2.5l. I do have the second gen though as stated make sure of that!
Bigboyky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyame View Post
Thanks for the tip about Winchdepot, DiamondDave, it's only $269 right now. And yep, it's a 4.1 permanent magnet motor, not the series wound. Wish I knew more about the pros and cons of the motors.
Don't waste your money or time on the generation 1 version - it's much slower. Get the 5.5 series wound generation 2 model - trust me.

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 09-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax5er View Post
Good for the money ... but this is better....12000 LB MILEMARKER.. i paid 550 shipped.
The only winches that Milemaker makes that are worth anything are their hydraulic ones - that's what the US Army runs. The Smitty XRC-10 runs around $449.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I run a HF 9000 with a 3 year warranty. If you have problems with it, they will swap it out. So in 2.9 years, get a new one? I only use mine for emergency and not for competition.

Before you knock it, read http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #11
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Another alternative is Titan Winches in Canada. With the exchange rate and the US dollar worth a little more it may be worth it. Their 10000lb is $410.
Here is some pics of the innards
http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=73430
rikkards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #12
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyame View Post
I've found the Smittybilt XRC8 winch for $299 at 4wheelparts.com. Sounds too good to be true, or at least worth having. Is this a good buy or should I keep on looking?
All you need to know about it, good product as far as I can tell:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...mittybilt+XRC8

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2008, 09:58 PM   #13
KennyTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabamaranger View Post
I run a HF 9000 with a 3 year warranty. If you have problems with it, they will swap it out. So in 2.9 years, get a new one? I only use mine for emergency and not for competition.

Before you knock it, read http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/g...?articleID=353
I have the same HF 9,000 lb. winch. I have used it many times this past year with no issues. Another guy in the club has had his for several years and no problems. A couple other guys have the HF 8,000 lb. and have not had any issues I know of. Several have the Smitty 8,000 lb. and like it.

We have found that our clubs winching and recover seminars have helped out greatly. I have been on many trails and seen some yahoo's winching in some SCARRY ways!!!

Knowing how to properly rig and use your winch pays off in the form of NOT distroying your equipment or anyone getting hurt.
Unread 09-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #14
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had a 8000# that I bought used long ago. It work great but the reverse would go out. It was a brake issue not a solenoid problem. I cleaned it once before and worked great for awhile. Anyway I had to disengage the clutch to pull the cable out. The brake needed to be replace ($20.00).

HF said bring it in, pay for the warranty ($50.00) and they would swap out to the 9000# for $35.00 since they were out of the 8000# winch.

If you have a mail order winch, you will have to fight them over the phone, pack the winch up and send it back. You are looking at 2 to 4 weeks. That was one of my reasons I bought HF. You could get the winch swapped out on the same day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.