Chains in snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Chains in snow

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Chains in snow

If you have to chain up the Jeep in snow, which axle should be chained, the front or rear?
Thanks.

Lgleason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You don't need the chains unless there is serious amount of ice/snow. Your 4wd are good enough if it works. IMO chains should be on rear.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I understand the 4WD works fine in snow but sometimes you either hit, as you said, serious snow or they are rquired.
Lgleason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

how bad is the snow you need chains.... we get a foot daily here and no one runs chains, more of a pain in the big ole arse then anything..... truckers are usually the only ones, unless your farther norht in the bush,.... chains mandatory there...

get some winter tires

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Never needed chains or even studded tires in 35 years of driving up here, but if I was to chain up for some bizarre reason it would be on all four wheels.
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also siped tires are night/day difference. You won't need chains for any reason unless you are in farth north.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
EagleRiverDee
2011 JK Wrangler 

We've had record snow in Alaska this season and the only day that was even sketchy so far was a day where we had a lot of heavy wet snow that gets the consistency of mash potatoes and just sort of sticks in the grooves on the tires until they are just slick balls of ice. Even on that day, 4WD worked fine. The only time I would worry about chains is in water on ice conditions, because I live up on a mountain, and it's no fun doing donuts down the mountain. If I were to need to chain up, it would be all 4 wheels, because I have 4WD. If you have a FWD, you chain the front only. If you have a RWD, you chain all four because the rear needs it for pushing the vehicle, and the front needs it for steering.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Chains would have helped a ton when I was wheeling on sunday. It was about 6" of snow, and solid ice underneath. Towing out a broken LJ was almost impossible on the hills.

If I was to only get one set, it would be on the front for 2 reasons. First, is I have more clearance up front and less of a change of rubbing. Second, I have a front locker.

I would just buy 2 sets though.
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
In some states, you may get a citation if you are caught without chains on a designated stretch of highway and the winter conditions require it. Sometimes there are stated exceptions such as 4wd or vehicles with studded tires, sometimes there are none.

Chains are expensive and so, I have only one set. Given my options, I would run them on the rear for on the road requirements, legality and what not. For wheeling, I would run chains on the front to aid in steering and finding traction. FWIW, I use the heavy duty cam style of chains used for hunting and not street driving i.e. quick connect cables.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I chained up a 4x4 only once! It got me stuck about five hundred feet further up the road was all.

I don't know about other Jeeps but mine will go till the snow is up to the belly....

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
jeepw99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I use to drive truck into Yosemite National park and they always had the chain sign out. For a truck you have to chain all the time.

There are 3 categories of chains required for cars, stage 1 "Cars with snow tires ok", stage 2 "4 wheel drive with snow tires ok", and stage 3 "chains required" for everyone.

If I only had one set I would put them on the front to help with steering as long as you had it in 4 wheel drive.
jeepw99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

At least here in the midwest, I have yet to have that much snow that I'd need chains in either Jeep. Even my wife's KJ will go through easy the 2' drifts we tend to get with big storms. But otherwise the salt trucks and plows are out in force.

Now in my younger days of living in CO, I always put chains on my RX-7 back in the day. It was like having a four-wheel drive sports car! But not much fun to put them on such a low to the ground car. But it did get me to the ski slopes on occasion.

I saw this in another "chain" thread. Worth reposting...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #13
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Chains will save your butt when nothing else can. I have 2 sets for each vehicle. In the summer I only carry one set cause it don't snow very much
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've had to use chains before on road. Two years ago WV and western VA got dumped on, hard. On the way to Timberline WV to ski I chained up both axles on 33 km2s locked front and LSD(good) rear to get up a couple of passes in the middle of the night. The snow was 20-24" deep to where my tires were sinking to and had an ice layer underneith from sleet prior to the snow.

Its not often you need them but when you do the kick

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

When I lived in WA there were many stretches of road that chains were required, plus had a bad ice storm that left the roads almost solid ice. I put the chains on the rear so I did not have to worry about them hitting anything when turning. Slow going but at least I was going.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.