Can you remove the doors on a JK? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Can you remove the doors on a JK?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

The doors come off my JK?

Nope. Haven't done it. I've wanted to, but not worth the hassle right now as I'd have to put them back on every night. Eventually I'll have some Besttop soft doors and then it'll be easier.

McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
The doors come off my JK?
They do come off, but I can't figure out what the second gear shifter is for.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

I just think it's cool that the JK knows when the doors are off.

I'm not sure if the TJs or YJs do that...
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #19
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nope. Now that chrysler decided to turn the JK into a boxy caravan they removed all of the unique features.

Seriously, the subconscious jealousy and negativity runs thick in here. But I have yet to see any of this negativity in the real world. I guess a computer screen makes men out of some people.

My top and doors are off from may to september. The steel tub (yes....omg no carpet!!!) handles rain quite well, especially with all of the strategically placed drains. If I were to have found a unit with half doors though, it would be a different story.

This is my setup during periods of sustained rain for multiple days. Works very well, and I stay quite dry on the highway.

Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Seriously, the subconscious jealousy and negativity runs thick in here. But I have yet to see any of this negativity in the real world. I guess a computer screen makes men out of some people.
If you were to you would see that the only negative comment from a NON-JK owner was post #2, but then the same poster takes it back in post #15. I openly admitted that I wish I had a JK... But that doesnt change that I have yet to see a JK in Austin without doors on... Just sayin

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #21
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My friend with a JK always has his off, and theres this girl around here with a 2door JK that I have never seen the doors ON it, inside is covered in mud, I always see her driving in rainstorms too, top down on the Jeep and doors off. I give her a
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #22
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer_ View Post
If you were to you would see that the only negative comment from a NON-JK owner was post #2. I openly admitted that I wish I had a JK... But that doesnt change that I have yet to see a JK in Austin without doors on... Just sayin
Not aiming that at you.

After I read the thread through a second time I was afraid you were going to think it was.

Aside from having to unplug them (even the roll up window, non power lock doors), they just lift right off. They came with retainer nuts on the bottom of the hinge, but they were just a PITA to deal with so I left them off. IMO theyre just there to slow down door thieves (those full doors are like $2k a pop!).

The plug on the non-power models (like mine) are for the door-open sensors for the dome light and message center. When unplugged, the computer knows the doors are removed, and doesnt activate the dome light or give a "DOOR" warning on the dash.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Not aiming that at you.
Im still in "bustin shops" mode...

I really like your JK... I was told that when you remove the carpet, there is an isolation type material that lines the tub. How does it look? Did you try to remove it?

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Why would you take doors off a perfectly good Jeep? You might fall out!

Unread 07-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #25
Polkchop
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo Deere View Post
Same here, a minivan with no doors would look pretty funny
Hey David, hows the county garbage truck treating you?
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #26
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Avian, don't get so butt hurt lol.
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #27
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer_ View Post
Im still in "bustin shops" mode...

I really like your JK... I was told that when you remove the carpet, there is an isolation type material that lines the tub. How does it look? Did you try to remove it?

The sound dampening material is like a hard rubber laid out by a caulk gun, in about 30 lines across both front floor pans, and under where the rear seat is mounted. I have floor mats up front, so those dont bother me. The one in the back doesnt bother me either, since it acts like a bedliner when cargo is on top of it (I dont run a back seat). All 3 pads of this stuff is painted over, so its not a big eyesore. To remove it, Id guess you'd have to chisel it off. Its quite hard, and is very "stuck" to the bare steel under it. You would also have to repaint the area after its off. Too much hassle for too little a reward IMO. Not unless youre planing on doing a repaint/ bed lining anyway.

The pads really help in removing the "tinny" sound the tub makes when you bump it with your feet/ cargo.

This is the only decent pic I have of the stuff. Similar pads are on the bottom forward section of the front foot wells too.

Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #28
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
The sound dampening material is like a hard rubber laid out by a caulk gun, in about 30 lines across both front floor pans, and under where the rear seat is mounted. I have floor mats up front, so those dont bother me. The one in the back doesnt bother me either, since it acts like a bedliner when cargo is on top of it (I dont run a back seat). All 3 pads of this stuff is painted over, so its not a big eyesore. To remove it, Id guess you'd have to chisel it off. Its quite hard, and is very "stuck" to the bare steel under it. You would also have to repaint the area after its off. Too much hassle for too little a reward IMO. Not unless youre planing on doing a repaint/ bed lining anyway.

The pads really help in removing the "tinny" sound the tub makes when you bump it with your feet/ cargo.

This is the only decent pic I have of the stuff. Similar pads are on the bottom forward section of the front foot wells too.

Gotcha doesn't look too bad. Thanks for the picture

My CJ7 Build Thread
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #29
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Door removal?

Looks like its the TJ guys that have a problem removing the doors
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #30
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
Door removal?

Looks like its the TJ guys that have a problem removing the doors
Lol, yeah, I actually "tagged" that thread...

My CJ7 Build Thread

Tags
door , jk , removal , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.