JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Buying a used Wrangler (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/buying-used-wrangler-1546452/)

aidanb1205 07-08-2013 10:18 AM

Buying a used Wrangler

Hi everybody,
I am going to get my license within the year and I have been researching cars for several months and stumbled upon the Jeep wrangler. I have researched them for about two weeks and they seem to fit my life style. I was just wondering what model, year, style, etc. to get. I know that I want one past 97' with a manual transmission, because I am not going to wuss out and get an automatic, and one six cylinder engine. If you guys could help me out that would be great.

frenchy206 07-08-2013 10:28 AM

A TJ (97 - 06) will be your best bet. Check for rust on the frame and all under the Jeep. If you plan on doing some mild off roading, nothing crazy, a Rubicon will give you better axles, front and rear lockers, and a little body armor. Rubicons also tend to hold their value a little more than a non Rubicon. That being said, they also cost more.

jjvw 07-08-2013 11:15 AM

Agreed on looking at a TJ. If you can, get the 4.0 engine. After that, look for D44 axles. Do understand that you will never get over 20mpg. 15mpg is a good average.

ANY Jeep will be fine for mild off roading, nothing crazy. An '03 Rubicon will immediately bump you to at least the $14-16,000 range. I've taken my stock Rubicon through several moderate to medium trails in Colorado and never needed to lock the axles, far from it. Learn to be a good driver before getting too deep into the fancy upgrades.

speedyrev 07-08-2013 05:47 PM

Don't write off the automatic. A lot of people think they're better for off road.

aidanb1205 07-08-2013 06:14 PM

I am not against automatics I just want to learn standards so when I go to UK, which I do a lot, I will be able to drive the cars there which are mostly all standards.

jjvw 07-08-2013 09:32 PM

In this day and age (in America), driving a manual could almost be considered a lifestyle choice. We all know the arguments for it. It might just boil down to being a Luddite tough guy. Choosing a manual transmission Jeep to be more European is a wonderful way to turn things on its head! Do it!

tyvanwie 07-09-2013 05:00 AM

In my search for my TJ, 90% of the manuals were 4 cylinders. Hopefully it's better by you.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

speedyrev 07-09-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15657156)
In my search for my TJ, 90% of the manuals were 4 cylinders. Hopefully it's better by you.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

That's the point I was making. If you find a clean 6 cyl with low miles that you like, don't turn it down just because it's an automatic. In the used market, you usually just get the best of what you can find.
Hopefully you will find just what you are looking for.

MrDubbe 07-09-2013 06:25 PM

A year ago after searching for about a month I scored a 03 Sport i6 with d44 in the rear and about 29k on the clock for 15k ( i know kinda high but it was super clean) at a dealership. It also has a standard tranny and a LSD in the rear. All I can say is I enjoy getting in it every day and couldn't be more happy ( unless it was a LJ Rubi). I do think an auto would be much easier to wheel and probably safer but standard allows you to keep the rpm's where you need them. Oh and remember in Europe look right when crossing the street.

aikenjeep 07-09-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aidanb1205 (Post 15653813)
Hi everybody,
I am going to get my license within the year and I have been researching cars for several months and stumbled upon the Jeep wrangler. I have researched them for about two weeks and they seem to fit my life style. I was just wondering what model, year, style, etc. to get. I know that I want one past 97' with a manual transmission, because I am not going to wuss out and get an automatic, and one six cylinder engine. If you guys could help me out that would be great.

Congrats on choosing a Jeep. I have owned 3 TJ's and currently am driving a new to me '05 Unlimited. It has the 4.0 and 6 speed. I found one in super shape down in Florida with 36,000 miles. I paid $15,500 for it and I think that was a great price, especially considering the equipment it came with, along with a complete colormatched rhino lined interior, factory hard top, nice wheels and tires.

I did my homework ,shopped around, and I think I made a wise choice.

As for the transmission, I applaud you for preferring a manual over an auto, though as some other folks said, nothing wrong with an auto.

Good luck in your search.

vabs 07-23-2013 04:54 PM

I was searching for the perfect Wrangler after I decided that's what I wanted for a midlife crisis vehicle (thought about getting a Harley Davidson but they were way to dangerous due to the fact that there are so many distracted drivers out there not seeing them). I started looking and developed a laundry list of things I wanted. I originally thought I wanted a hard top but after a seeing a couple, I decided that being a single 45 year old woman, there was no way I was going to get that top off by myself. I also discovered I wanted a standard transmission, 6 cylinders and it needed to be black. After searching for a year in 2 different states, I found her. I am now the proud owner of a 1998 Wrangler Sport, black with a black soft top (which I can manage very well by myself), standard tranny and 6 cylinders. Don't settle for anything less than what you are searching for. You will always be disappointed every time you happen to see what you were looking for driving down the road.

wendell 07-24-2013 02:49 PM

TJ, 02-06 with decent miles. I said 02 because the newer it is, the more likely to have decent miles.

NonRubicon 07-28-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy206 (Post 15653853)
Rubicons also tend to hold their value a little more than a non Rubicon.

Hey there, I think I hold my value quite well, thank you very much. :p

jjvw 07-28-2013 09:58 PM

You must be tastefully modified!

NonRubicon 07-29-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjvw (Post 15729863)
You must be tastefully modified!

Or course I am! I'm a limited edition, one-off, with a little custom artwork. Easily converted from full soft top to topless. Using my 4 limb drive I can climb routes that Rubicons wouldn't be able to handle. Low crawl ratio standard. Limbs can be easily modified to match the terrain with detachable treads. Amphibious (when using the snorkel option), and can handle being fully submerged for a limited time without damage to internals or hydrolocking. I handle sand, snow dirt and mud with ease. Built-in navigation system, just need to supply the local maps. Flex fuel option allows to use more than one type of fuel, (although the system does run a bit sluggish and handling becomes a bit sloppy if ran too long on alcohol) A few old scars here and there - no rust though. One accident, but after repairs you can't even tell. Title clean. Original owner.

The time now is 10:46 AM.