BUSTED! Ring gear bolts, that is... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > BUSTED! Ring gear bolts, that is...

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

BUSTED! Ring gear bolts, that is...

My "new" ride is a 2006 Unlimited with a softtop (had a hardtop; damn Pike County jumping trees...), long arm lift, 35" KM2's, axles regeared and E-Lockers installed. Wheeled several times, nothing radical as I like to finesse things when I can. Driving in town, I hear a "Pop", and pull into a parking lot. I don't see anything unusual and it drives normally. ?? I drive it on to my lady's home (about 10-12 miles) and smell the dead dinos when I get out. Fine oil droplets all over the rear end tells me to look at the pig and there's something that has tried to get out of there by poking a hole in the cover.
When I removed the cover, I discovered that five ring gear bolt heads had snapped off. Everything was properly torqued and locktited. There is evidence that there was a lot of heat somewhere along the line as in varnish on the carrier. Can anyone give me a clue as to what happened? And, is there an easy way to get the stubs out of the ring gear?

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I can't help you, other than to suggest you really know how to tell a background story.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, take it a part, that is pull the carrier and ring gear out, then remove the remaining bolts holding the ring gear on and then you can get to the "stubs" and remove them...sounds to me like they were torqued down incorrectly, ie. in a star pattern...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have read about this before and there are threads on it. We had a Jeep in our club do the exact same thing. Ended up needing to replace about every thing if I recall.
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks Doc! I'd already done a search on several different forms (including this one) with no results. Seeing your post, I tried again and Presto! Way more info than I can handle at this time of night (nearly Midnite, and I need my beauty rest...). It looks like my setup man may have used the wrong torque numbers which is strange, because he really sweats the small stuff and is a perfectionist. I'll discuss this with him and we'll get it back together. Ring and pinion look good, carrier (E-Locker) is scarred. Probably will replace all bearings to be safe. Maybe even get a set of bolts from the dealer to be sure we have good quality.

Thanks, Hustler for the kind words- many people think I'm a half a bubble off of plumb; I think that they have a problem... I may be old, but I don't drink prune juice on purpose!

I've done bodywork useing a winch, a tree, a prybar, and a BFH!

Now, my wild oats have turned to prune juice and all-bran...
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I would think something from ARP.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.