Building a trailer - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Building a trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yes, and yes.
Been doing tons of research and I am convinced of running trailer brakes. I understand wiring the trailer. I am told it needs to have a seven pin plug.

How did you do yours? Are you running a seven pin plug on your jeep? Trying to get a grasp on this and have a game plan for wiring.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
AJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
Been doing tons of research and I am convinced of running trailer brakes. I understand wiring the trailer. I am told it needs to have a seven pin plug.

How did you do yours? Are you running a seven pin plug on your jeep? Trying to get a grasp on this and have a game plan for wiring.
I have a Draw-Tite Activator II Brake Controller w/ auto-reset circuit breaker, a battery isolation solenoid to charge a trailer battery only when the vehicle is running, and a dash mounted relay/switch setup to activate accessories on the trailer, like reverse/backup lights.

I also fabricated a mounting bracket for a 7-way connector w/ 4-way plug and welded it to my bumper.

I still don't have it all fully setup yet because its a wiring logistics nightmare. The brake controller has to be spliced into the brake pedal switch under the dash. You have to contort your body into all sorts of convoluted positions to reach everything.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-installa...m-scratch.aspx
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #33
ORfishinjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went with a 7-pin wiring setup on my trailer partly because I had a large truck at the time and partly because I hate those crappy 4-pin connectors. I got the 4 pin wiring for the Jeep that plugs into the factory harness and then a 4-pin to 7 Pin converter/outlet that has both 4 pin and 7-pin on the socket. All of that is being incorporated into my custom bumper to keep the wires out of the elements.

Another big advantage of the 7 pin is the ability to wire 12V+ into the trailer from your vehicle battery. Nice if you use it as an enclosed camping trailer.
ORfishinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #34
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I have a Draw-Tite Activator II Brake Controller w/ auto-reset circuit breaker, a battery isolation solenoid to charge a trailer battery only when the vehicle is running, and a dash mounted relay/switch setup to activate accessories on the trailer, like reverse/backup lights.

I also fabricated a mounting bracket for a 7-way connector w/ 4-way plug and welded it to my bumper.

I still don't have it all fully setup yet because its a wiring logistics nightmare. The brake controller has to be spliced into the brake pedal switch under the dash. You have to contort your body into all sorts of convoluted positions to reach everything.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-installa...m-scratch.aspx
Thank you and great link.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #35
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORfishinjeep View Post
I went with a 7-pin wiring setup on my trailer partly because I had a large truck at the time and partly because I hate those crappy 4-pin connectors. I got the 4 pin wiring for the Jeep that plugs into the factory harness and then a 4-pin to 7 Pin converter/outlet that has both 4 pin and 7-pin on the socket. All of that is being incorporated into my custom bumper to keep the wires out of the elements.

Another big advantage of the 7 pin is the ability to wire 12V+ into the trailer from your vehicle battery. Nice if you use it as an enclosed camping trailer.
That gave me more ideas for the future with this trailer. So I can actually set up the bumper to have a plug for the 7 pin and the 4 pin. In case I ever need it.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #36
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Another question.

Is a brake controller required with trailer brakes?

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #37
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
Another question.

Is a brake controller required with trailer brakes?
start here:
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowArticle.asp?id=2

then these:
http://www.hitchweb.com/blog/post/20...ic-brakes-work
http://www.pacifictrailers.com/hydra...kerite-dexter/

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #38
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

AJ, I'll fill you in on my setup.

I did have my trailer built with electric brakes, so it has a 7-way wiring plug. Mopar makes a 7-way wiring harness for LJs (since they could tow more then a TJ). I had read that someone here on JF had installed one on a TJ, so as far as I knew it could be done. Here is the wiring harness I bought:
http://www.justforjeeps.com/trtowwihakit2.html
(Also note the instructions listed in the link.)

It's pretty straight forward for the install, but the only issue I had is that somehow the rear brake light wiring is different from my TJ to an LJ. The problem was, when I hit my right turn signal, the left turn signal on the trailer would blink! So I had to go into the right and left blinker wires going into the 7-way plug on my Jeep, cut and switch them so the correct blinkers worked. (Note that incase you do the same.)

As you'll see in the instructions, a blue wire runs inside my Jeep, and plugs into a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller (from etrailer.com), which was recommended to me here on JF. (The controller is awesome! Very easy to adjust how sensitive it is as I can lock up the brakes on the trailer.) The controller needs to be powered, so I had to run power lines to the battery, plus it has to tap into the brake switch (which it was challenging to figure out the right wire to tap into on the brake switch as there are multiple wires ).

I haven't towed my trailer a lot so far since I just recently had it built, but having brakes on it is very nice. I feel very secure towing it, loaded and up and down hills. I actually think my Jeep is a little more stable with the trailer behind it. It certainly stops better! My idea for my trailer build was for camping trips mostly out west.

Plus, what is cool is that with a 7-way wiring harness, I just bought Blue-top battery and power inverter that will go in the trailer. There is a positive wire running back from my Jeep that will charge the battery when the trailer is hooked up. This is my next install on the trailer, which I update my trailer thread soon with.

Any questions, let me know.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #39
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post

I did have my trailer built with electric brakes, so it has a 7-way wiring plug. Mopar makes a 7-way wiring harness for LJs (since they could tow more then a TJ). I had read that someone here on JF had installed one on a TJ, so as far as I knew it could be done. Here is the wiring harness I bought:

It's pretty straight forward for the install, but the only issue I had is that somehow the rear brake light wiring is different from my TJ to an LJ. The problem was, when I hit my right turn signal, the left turn signal on the trailer would blink! So I had to go into the right and left blinker wires going into the 7-way plug on my Jeep, cut and switch them so the correct blinkers worked. (Note that incase you do the same.)

As you'll see in the instructions, a blue wire runs inside my Jeep, and plugs into a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller (from etrailer.com), which was recommended to me here on JF. (The controller is awesome! Very easy to adjust how sensitive it is as I can lock up the brakes on the trailer.) The controller needs to be powered, so I had to run power lines to the battery, plus it has to tap into the brake switch (which it was challenging to figure out the right wire to tap into on the brake switch as there are multiple wires ).

I haven't towed my trailer a lot so far since I just recently had it built, but having brakes on it is very nice. I feel very secure towing it, loaded and up and down hills. I actually think my Jeep is a little more stable with the trailer behind it. It certainly stops better! My idea for my trailer build was for camping trips mostly out west.

Plus, what is cool is that with a 7-way wiring harness, I just bought Blue-top battery and power inverter that will go in the trailer. There is a positive wire running back from my Jeep that will charge the battery when the trailer is hooked up. This is my next install on the trailer, which I update my trailer thread soon with.

see your build thread

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #40
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
see your build thread

John
John, I replied to your questions and I even showed off my new Blue-top battery and the power inverter.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #41
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that is great information. now i have a much better understanding of how it works.thank you

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post

It's pretty straight forward for the install, but the only issue I had is that somehow the rear brake light wiring is different from my TJ to an LJ. The problem was, when I hit my right turn signal, the left turn signal on the trailer would blink! So I had to go into the right and left blinker wires going into the 7-way plug on my Jeep, cut and switch them so the correct blinkers worked. (Note that incase you do the same.)i

More good information. Ill defitinately have more questions.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.