Building a trailer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Building a trailer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #16
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

They call that WMS-WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface), and IIRC it's 62" (or something very near it). Your track width will vary though, when I was designing my little Jeep hauler trailer I made a pic I carried in my phone to keep all the numbers fresh and available.

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
Those are all great points. Im in no hurry and just started putting the base frame design on paper. Im willing to take any other advice i can get.
I figure ill build it in stages. Set the main frame up, axle and hitch. Then start the basket i want it to be 4x5.5 and 18 deep.
My research shows a tj track width (outside drum to outdise drum) is about 60-61". Is this correct?
WMS for TJ's is 60.5".
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #18
ORfishinjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I built a trailer that has the 3500 lbs Axle. It is full enclosed v nose and built with all 1/8 inch square/rect tubing. With the heavy axle it does bounce a bit when empty or loaded light. Its nice to be able to grab a load of rock or brick with though.

Buying steel is tricky, I have found going to a very large steel shop and buying 20' lengths is by far cheaper than small welding shops with shorter lengths even paying a cut fee (50% cheaper most times). Also look around for a metal recycling place. There is one here in Oregon and they usually have tons of like new steel at much lower prices, especially if you need smaller pieces.
ORfishinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
raisin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wanted to add another bit. I left my towing pintle attached to my jeep after taking the trailer off. Went rock crawling and put the jeep at an extreme angle, the transmission starved for fluid and the jeep rolled back on the pintle. That was alot of weight/force for a small specific area. I bent the crap out of the bumper, and I have a heavy duty bumper. So, take the hitch off before you play.
raisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats another reason I want this trailer. Before the jeep i had trucks. Having a away to hual things will be great again.

WMS, I had read that term before, but forgot about it.

How much do your guys axle articulate? Im sure not much, just so i can have a basic idea to take into concideration.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
AJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #21
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats another reason I want this trailer. Before the jeep i had trucks. Having a away to hual things will be great again.

WMS, I had read that term before, but forgot about it.

How much do your guys axle articulate? Im sure not much, just so i can have a basic idea to take into concideration.
a trailer axle in a single axle application doesn't articulate much at all. its mostly straight up and down. almost all articulation is handled by the hitch. check out my build thread...
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #22
ORfishinjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a torsion axle which is very nice because you can adjust the ride height after installation. They also ride a lot better then leafs. I had it loaded down pretty good for my move last year and it still did not articulate a whole lot. I have about 3-4" of clearance between the fender and tire and its never hit. That's highway driving though, loaded down off road you may need a little more. I got the axle from Southwest axle, Google torsion axle and they come up.
ORfishinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
They call that WMS-WMS (Wheel Mounting Surface), and IIRC it's 62" (or something very near it). Your track width will vary though, when I was designing my little Jeep hauler trailer I made a pic I carried in my phone to keep all the numbers fresh and available.

Thank you this is very informational. I needed it.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
a trailer axle in a single axle application doesn't articulate much at all. its mostly straight up and down. almost all articulation is handled by the hitch. check out my build thread...
That is what I had thought and I will check out your thread.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #25
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you this is very informational. I needed it.
Please keep in mind that I had the WMS <- -> WMS distance off and the measurements in the pic are very specific to my Jeep (spacers, 12.5s and all), it's easy to make that kind of pic for yours and add your numbers.

And thanks Unlimited for catching my mistake quickly.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

subscribed for future reference when I build my trailer

Great Info
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #27
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Found this on Craigslist. Guy was asking $250 and talked him down to $150. This trailer needs lots of work, (heavy duty axle, hubs to match the jeep and it has no floor in it, LOL. The frame is 2x2 square tubing and heavy gauge side walls, and has a tailgate. Its a great base trailer to strip down and start the build.
first-purchased.jpg  

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #28
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Interesting buy. Looks like a cool start.

Earlier this year, I had a local shop build me a trailer based off the Pikes Peak trailer. I'll mention that I requested the axle to also be 3500# due to that the guy that builds the Pikes Peak trailers mentioned that he bent a 2000# axle roaming around Colorado. My trailer also has brakes as I added a brake controller to my TJ.

Trailer pictures are here. I haven't updated the thread in a while but I've been buying some stuff for the trailer. What just showed up this afternoon from the brown truck was a blue top battery, plus a power inverter is also on the way.

A light weight trailer really does make sense for a Wrangler due to the limited amount of room of what one can carry. My camping trips have been rather minimalistic, which this fixes that!

Anyway, enjoy the trailer and outfitting it!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
^Interesting buy. Looks like a cool start.

Earlier this year, I had a local shop build me a trailer based off the Pikes Peak trailer. I'll mention that I requested the axle to also be 3500# due to that the guy that builds the Pikes Peak trailers mentioned that he bent a 2000# axle roaming around Colorado. My trailer also has brakes as I added a brake controller to my TJ.

Trailer pictures are here. I haven't updated the thread in a while but I've been buying some stuff for the trailer. What just showed up this afternoon from the brown truck was a blue top battery, plus a power inverter is also on the way.

A light weight trailer really does make sense for a Wrangler due to the limited amount of room of what one can carry. My camping trips have been rather minimalistic, which this fixes that!

Anyway, enjoy the trailer and outfitting it!
That is a great looking trailer. I may steel some ideas from it. LOL

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How can i tell which # axle this trailer has? Refer to post 27 for trailer pic.

This trailer was home made and no one knows who

edit: here is the answer that i found, http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/axlechart.html

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

Last edited by AJeep; 06-14-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: found my answer

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.