Bronco vs Wrangler - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 114 Old 01-20-2017, 06:04 AM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've seen ait of unverified info in this thread... I have no sage info but will wait to see what Ford puts out. I am very excited for the new Bronco... if Ford dosent make it a soft soccer mom world car. There just isn't enough REAL info out there to say what the Bronco actually will be and how it will co.pare to the next gen Wrangler.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 114 Old 01-20-2017, 10:26 AM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
I've seen ait of unverified info in this thread... I have no sage info but will wait to see what Ford puts out. I am very excited for the new Bronco... if Ford dosent make it a soft soccer mom world car. There just isn't enough REAL info out there to say what the Bronco actually will be and how it will co.pare to the next gen Wrangler.
That's what I was saying, no concrete evidence, even the most 'informed' articles use the phrase 'Rumored to be' more often than gossip pages.
post #18 of 114 Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Sideboob

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
How can it target or compete with the wrangler without a solid front axle?
Depends where the competition takes place.

On rocks, yeah the SFA Jeep will win. Everywhere else, IFS is superior.

post #19 of 114 Old 01-20-2017, 01:04 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideboob View Post
Depends where the competition takes place.

On rocks, yeah the SFA Jeep will win. Everywhere else, IFS is superior.
Not saying IFS doesn't have it's place, but there are/have been other off roaders with IFS that didn't compete (xterra, FJ), and they've all been discontinued... while wrangler sales are through the roof. I don't mean compete in a rock crawling or high speed handling course.
post #20 of 114 Old 01-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I should have nabbed the link but I read a report yesterday that says Dana just reported to their investors that they got the contract to provide Ford with live axles for both ends of BOTH the upcoming Ranger and Bronco!
gary_dewitt likes this.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #21 of 114 Old 01-25-2017, 05:08 PM
xxdabroxx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think they said axles, but not necessarily solid axles. Dana also makes IFS axles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 114 Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
I think they said axles, but not necessarily solid axles. Dana also makes IFS axles.
Yeah, but the article I read specifically said solid.

That said I can't find it and the 3 I did find on a Google search suggest that they were making assumptions based on the particular Dana plant (the one the produces the axles for the Wrangler) and the use of AdvanTEK gear technology.

But the other articles point out that tech is also used on IFS so I guess you're right, we're still stuck with speculation.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #23 of 114 Old 01-26-2017, 09:04 AM
xxdabroxx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Yeah, but the article I read specifically said solid.

That said I can't find it and the 3 I did find on a Google search suggest that they were making assumptions based on the particular Dana plant (the one the produces the axles for the Wrangler) and the use of AdvanTEK gear technology.

But the other articles point out that tech is also used on IFS so I guess you're right, we're still stuck with speculation.
I really hope it is not IFS. I've just never been a fan, and after owning my first Jeep I've found the aftermarket support for solid axles to be tremendous in comparison to what is available for IFS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 114 Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovi82nd View Post
So Ford released they will be brining back the Bronco, anyone think it will compete with the wrangler?
I certainly hope so. The Wrangler needs competition for two reasons: To force FCA to improve their quality, which is still pretty lackluster, and make the market more competitive to drop prices down. A nicely equipped Wrangler is nowhere near worth $40k, let alone the $50k that the fully loaded ones go for, but they don't have any competition to challenge those prices.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #25 of 114 Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
I certainly hope so. The Wrangler needs competition for two reasons: To force FCA to improve their quality, which is still pretty lackluster, and make the market more competitive to drop prices down. A nicely equipped Wrangler is nowhere near worth $40k, let alone the $50k that the fully loaded ones go for, but they don't have any competition to challenge those prices.
I agree on all counts. Especially the crazy pricing. But I acknowledge I am cheap, however, even though the 13 JK I bought new was a steaming pile of ****, I was very comfortable with the USAA pricing for it new... I was under $24g for a new JK with the few options I wanted... upgraded soft top (no hardtop), A/C and a row-it-yourself. That said, IMHO new pricing is insane, bleck. But even with competition, provided Ford dosent **** up the Bronco, I don't see the prices actually coming down in any meaningful way. And to be honest Fiat dosent need to, people are paying the crazy money. Lol

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha
post #26 of 114 Old 01-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
A nicely equipped Wrangler is nowhere near worth $40k, let alone the $50k that the fully loaded ones go for, but they don't have any competition to challenge those prices.
I agree that competition improves the breed, but I'm going to take you to task on the point of "worth" or value.

Defacto, in a free market economy something is worth what people will pay for it. So we could easily end the discussion with a mic drop right there.

But let's look closer.

When shopping vehicles for the past few years I make spreadsheets of the points I care about from dimensions and capacities to options and prices (usually fully loaded as I'm not generally interested in a stripped 4-wheel vehicle).

The JK/JKU is somewhat of an outlier with unique combination of variables like choice or hard and/or soft tops, multiple gearing/axle/transfer case options and a dizzying array of customizable options/packages/models only really seen on a few other vehicles these days (but including many full size domestic pickups).

That alone is an added "value" with regards to the customer being able to order much as he wants.

But when I compared pricing to anything from similar size (but far more road oriented) SUV'S to mid-size pickups the JKU was certainly comparable.

Not to mention a low $40's JKU may easily be purchased in the high $30's.

The $50k models are basically special edition Rubicon's generally with additional accessories. It's hard to compare the to the models from other types of vehicles. But in a world were a 1/2 ton pickup truck has models that reach into the $60-70k range the JKU is most certainly "worth" it's more reasonable MSRP.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #27 of 114 Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 PM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

These are a couple of the articles I found, They pretty much say 'a strong possibility' of being solid axle.

http://parts.autoweek.com/article/ru...er-solid-axles
http://www.tfltruck.com/2017/01/repo...ont-rear-news/

If Ford does go with solid axles, they just boosted the appeal of the Bronco for the off road crowd, as well as many of the mall queen fans. Looking forward to finding out more, If it matches the hype, I may finally break my multi-year new truck 'boycott', just haven't liked the looks of anything offered since they decided they had to be cars first and trucks second. I buy a truck to haul cargo, If I wanted to haul people I'd buy a bus.
post #28 of 114 Old 01-28-2017, 06:06 AM
lloydsmale
2015 JK Wrangler 

you have to keep in mind that the few here are a bit more off road orientated then the average joe. I really doubt ford is going to build the entire bronco line to satistify the 1 percent that will use them off road. 95 percent of them will probably never leave the blacktop. Heck id bet 50 percent of the jeep wranglers never leave the pavement by there original owners. It would about like asking jeep put leaf springs and as straight axle in a grand Cherokee

2015willys 4 cyl tj 2017 silverado yamaha grizzly, Polaris rzr 04 z06 vette, 600/800 crossfire cat
post #29 of 114 Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 AM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
you have to keep in mind that the few here are a bit more off road orientated then the average joe. I really doubt ford is going to build the entire bronco line to satistify the 1 percent that will use them off road. 95 percent of them will probably never leave the blacktop. Heck id bet 50 percent of the jeep wranglers never leave the pavement by there original owners. It would about like asking jeep put leaf springs and as straight axle in a grand Cherokee
I would say that number is closer to 75 - 85 percent do not use their Wranglers off road.

post #30 of 114 Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 AM
lloydsmale
2015 JK Wrangler 

your probably right. I was trying to be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy View Post
I would say that number is closer to 75 - 85 percent do not use their Wranglers off road.

2015willys 4 cyl tj 2017 silverado yamaha grizzly, Polaris rzr 04 z06 vette, 600/800 crossfire cat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.