Break In Oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Break In Oil

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
jeepman6655
2013 JK Wrangler 

Break In Oil

My brother has a new Patriot and was told that they do use a break in oil! I thought this was something that was done away with years ago. Has anyone else ever heard of this??

jeepman6655 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

No need to, as it's already done at the factory. I would however change the oil at 1.5k.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the break in oils that are made today are intended for the older engines with flat tappet camshafts. the zinc forms a shock buffer coating on the lobes. it is also very good at ruining cats and emmision systems of a modern car.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
JeepDrew14
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just wanted to inquire about something as well, seeing as how JBTJ said to change at 1500 ... is that necessary?, i talked to my service tech at my dealer that i bought my 2013 Jk from and he said first oil change should be normal, around 5000km's. Just checking out of curiousity, as I'm just over 2000 km's. (not miles)
JeepDrew14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
it is also very good at ruining cats and emmision systems of a modern car.
That's only a problem if you are burning oil
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
ncb

I read an article that Blackstone Laboratory tested oils and found that only Honda uses a break-in additive (molybdenum-disulfide) from the factory. The lab said to follow what the owners manual states for changes for the first change. It definitely can't hurt to change it early. I think the focus should be put more into actually breaking in the engine as stated in the owners manual. I'm sure very few people leaving the dealership even know about breaking in a new engine. My WRX is the only car it was mentioned to carefully break-in. Some will argue the oil should be changed to remove any metal particles, but the filter will catch the small amount avoiding any internal engine damage. It's an opinion thing so one should do what makes them feel good.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't try to second guess the manufacturer. A lot of expertise goes into their oil advice.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Don't try to second guess the manufacturer. A lot of expertise goes into their oil advice.
Just as a lot of expertise went into using the Dana 35. Ya. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers expertise goes into looking at the bottom line.
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
Just as a lot of expertise went into using the Dana 35. Ya. I'm pretty sure the manufacturers expertise goes into looking at the bottom line.
That may be true, but since the customer is paying for the oil, and any failure costs them in warranty repairs, I doubt 'cheaping out' is a factor here.

BTW if you read some of the tech papers by engineers at the manufacturers, or the American Petroleum Institute, you get a feel for how much expertise and testing is involved.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDrew14 View Post
Just wanted to inquire about something as well, seeing as how JBTJ said to change at 1500 ... is that necessary?, i talked to my service tech at my dealer that i bought my 2013 Jk from and he said first oil change should be normal, around 5000km's. Just checking out of curiousity, as I'm just over 2000 km's. (not miles)
I did my first change at about 8000 km (almost all highway so the light hadn't even come on yet). I really don't think its necessary to do a quick first oil change. If that was a harder stretch on the oil I would have changed to around 5 like you said
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
JeepDrew14
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaJeeper View Post
I did my first change at about 8000 km (almost all highway so the light hadn't even come on yet). I really don't think its necessary to do a quick first oil change. If that was a harder stretch on the oil I would have changed to around 5 like you said
thanks for the reply !

I don't do much highway mileage anyways so it'll go in for a 5k tune up.

thanks again
JeepDrew14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.