Brake Fluid leaking around gas tank under the jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Brake Fluid leaking around gas tank under the jeep

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
brennard
2000 YJ Wrangler 

Brake Fluid leaking around gas tank under the jeep

Okay, So the Brake light cam on the other day and my pedal was going all the way down. When I stopped and looked under the back end of my jeep I noticed Fluid leaking from the gas tank. I checked and it was not gas it was almost like oil. I checked the brake fluid and it was low. I had a friend press the brake pedal down while it was in park and you can hear a hissing noise and the leak became worse. I have read other post and am not sure if it is the wheel cylinder or the brake line. Any info would be great.

brennard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
bobjp

It's probably the brake line. It has broken and is spraying onto the gas tank.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is that the brake line is the problem. And I would hazard a guess that it is roughly where the hard line and the soft line going to the rear axle join. It is allowing the fluid to shoot toward the tank and drain into the OEM tank compartment or "skid" if you will.

I am no brake expert, but isn't the wheel cylinder inside the drum? Not where you have discovered fluid.
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin72 View Post
I am no brake expert, but isn't the wheel cylinder inside the drum? Not where you have discovered fluid.
Yes, cylinder is inside the drum. Unless the oil is coming from behind the brake plate, then the leak is somewhere in the line.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.