On a boat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > On a boat

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
OxfordBlues
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On a boat

Hey guys,

I'm working on a project in which we're restoring a classic motor yacht and refitting it with modern technology and outfitting the whole thing for a television production in which we'll do inland and coastal cruising along with some adventure travel in different locations. Imagine Anthony Bourdaine or Andrew Zimmern, but a big part of our focus is on how we get there in the first place.

One topic of discussion that gets brought up on boating and yachting forums and something we have to figure out is how to get a vehicle on the boat. It might sound kind of like a crazy idea, but a lot of the places we'll be going don't exactly have rental car access. Not to mention, Hertz wouldn't appreciate us using their Hyundai or whatever for what we're going to be doing.

As a lifelong Jeep guy, the only acceptable vehicle to put on board is a jeep -- particularly a four-door wrangler. We're looking to either buy a euro-spec diesel or purchase a used one and pop in a new diesel (we want it running the same fuel as the boat).

The biggest hurdle isn't so much stowage of the vehicle on board, it's getting it off the boat and onto shore.

In ideal circumstances, you just pull up to a port and off-load your jeep onto the pavement using davits (an on board crane). The reality is though that the more interesting places to go won't have this option. Especially within the theme of our show which is basically to cruise along and when you see something/some place that looks cool, off load and go! See a Mayan pyramid on a hilltop, go check it out...see a village with fishing boats and huts on the beach, go eat. Yeah, those places generally aren't set up for 125 foot boats with 10 foot draft (depth) to pull up and say hi.

Working within the idea that many times we likely won't be able to get our boat close enough to sit the Jeep directly onto land, we're working on how we can get the jeep off and on the boat yet do so in up to 10 feet of water.

Here are two idea I have:

1. Water-proof the jeep as much as possible to withstand 3-4 feet of water. Big tires and lift plus vertical stacks for the air intake and exhaust as well as perhaps water-proofing the engine compartment if needed.

2. Building a "lift-raft" for the Jeep to ride on. Instead of lifting just the jeep by the davits and off the vessel and onto either land, beach, or shallow water, we'd lift the platform and then drive the jeep off of it (and back onto it when loading). This platform would also have the ability to act as a sort of semi-floatable landing craft.

We are looking at having the jeep stowed in a sealed container anyway so as to protect it from constant salt. What we're thinking is that we can build such a container with a shallow-displacement (barge like) hull and/or attach inflatable pontoons to make it float.

In situations where we need to get the jeep ashore but can't get the main boat close enough, we could lower the entire jeep raft into the water. Someone could then go to shore in a launch with the jeep's winch cable and some sort of stake or anchor or whatever. The launch would tow the jeep raft within range of its max winch length (if needed). With the ceble secured ashore, the jeep would use its own winch to ground the raft and then drive right off the platform, potentially assisted by its winch until securely on solid ground. Loading would be the reverse.

--------------

(OK sorry I know -- long post!).

So what do you guys think of this idea?

Does this sound practical and can we do this without causing immediate or regular damage to the jeep? Once loaded on board, we'd have the ability to give it a fresh water wash, so salt wouldn't be left on it long term. But it would inevitably get saltwater on and in it.

Thoughts?

OxfordBlues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
ncb

This.
image-203426258.jpg  
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How big is this boat? Photo?
Unread 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Perfect time to leave the Jeep at home and use the Amphicar.

Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.coolcarsandgirls.com/2008...ious-cars.html

There is a yellow "jeep" half way down. Personally I would just put a heli pad on deck and be done with the jeep idea.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
Perfect time to leave the Jeep at home and use the Amphicar.

Yup! This one was still dripping after a spectacular display of aquatic prowess!
dsc00847.jpg  
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Very cool! I have wanted an Amphicar since I was a kid.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haha yah, they are pretty neat.
The only thing you need to remember is that they are about as hydrodynamic as a Jeep is aerodynamic.
A simpler version of the pontoon idea might be something to look at though. That looks easily workable if the budget is there.
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
roniena
JK Wrangler 

First question is how to get a job on this project. And I agree with the pontoon idea
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
RiponredTJ
Happy Member No. 1

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Forget the winches, just put a cheap little outboard and a ramp on that pontoon raft and you're golden.
Unread 07-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
jimpaget
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Once when I was in Honolulu with a boat at the marina, there was a 50-60' sailing vessel with a Fiat 850 on deck. It sat athwartship. I would guess that it weighed no more than half the vehicle that you are talking about.

They used a pair of ramps and a sail-handling winch to load the Fiat.

Having been a skipper on three mainland to Hawaii trips, the last thing that I would want in a weight the size you are talking about at deck level. Bear in mind that a powerboat has inherently much less resistance to roll than a sailboat due to the lack of a keel.

At the very least I would run your numbers by a marine architect. You really don't want to turn turtle from the wake of a passing barge or large vessel.
jimpaget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This
amphibiousjeeps.jpg  
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Found it... Perfect.

http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_gatorkit.html

Actually not as expensive as I would have thought!
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't really see the point in doing that to a Jeep... You really couldn't go anywhere besides the roads and the water with that kind of ground clearance... My moms Highlander has 10" of ground clearance, but I'm not taking that thing offroad anytime soon...

Neat concept nontheless...

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You'll notice he hasn't come back with any info or photos of the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.