Bestop Soft Door Fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Bestop Soft Door Fix

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
ScottHerman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Bestop Soft Door Fix

We enjoy taking trips with the doors off, and we got a set of Bestop soft doors for rain. At highway speeds, the top of the door separates from the body by about two inches. The first time a semi passed me, I thought the doors were coming off! After much trial and error, I found a cheap, easy and effective fix.

I got a grommet kit and installed grommets in the top front corner of each door top. I tied a 1/16" cord to the frame of each door and threaded them through the grommet. When we're going to be traveling at highway speeds, I simply tie the strings together. I used a figure-eight-on-a-bight to make a loop in one string and I use a modified trucker's hitch to join them, so that tension is maintained. This fixed the problem.

jeep-door-fix.jpg  
ScottHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
SteveBad
2011 JK Wrangler 

I understand the problem, and I think I understand your solution.

So you hve a cord going clear across the car, side to side ?

Can't you secure it with a small bungee to the sunvisor, or some such ,
and avoid the side-to-side cord?
Unread 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
ScottHerman
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sure. I considered that, but the more I looked at it the more I realized it would be easier to get the exact tension I wanted with a cord connecting the two. I use them so seldom that it didn't make sense to invest a lot of time and effort into a fix. The frame of the door is covered in such a way that attaching directly to it would have put tension on the fabric, which I wanted to avoid by using the grommets. Also, I like knots so that solution suited me personally. When I did it, I was actually planning on going with a bungee, but this worked so well I didn't see a reason.
ScottHerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestop , soft doors

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.