Bestop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Bestop

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Bestop

Just wanted everyone to know that Bestop has moved their factory to Mexico. The quality of the tops has significanlty gone down. I bought a brand new sailcloth replacement top, the top did not fite correctly. The windows were wrinkle where they were not sewn straight. I thought well maybe I got a fluke. They sent me a new one after waiting two months and having to call last week and demand overnight shipping. Well the top fits a little better but not much, and they sent me clear windows instead of tinted windows like I had. Now im told it could be three weeks to get my windows. I will never buy a Bestop product again!!

duanewhatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
BestopTeam

Duane: sorry about your experience.

We are doing more of our manufacturing in Mexico now.
I would like to point out two quick things, if I may:

1. We occasionally had complaints like this last year too. And occasionally in 1995. And 1975. And in 1965.
We're the biggest manufacturer for aftermarket Jeep parts, and sometimes things go wrong. The point is that Mexico isn't the reason. We are watching quality control carefully, and scientifically, as always. Not perfectly. But we're still doing fine. We sold thousands and thousands of tops in the past few months, by the way, as Jeep started really cranking out the new Wranglers!

2. Our plant in Mexico is amazing. It's BETTER than the plant here in Colorado. It was being used by a sister company that made soft tops for a couple of very upscale German car companies. They've moved to folding metal tops, so that gave us a chance to use their skills on our fabric tops. I say this because sometimes people see "Mexico" and think dirt floors. The truth is very, very different.

3. The third of my two points (oops) is that Bestop is one of the very last companies to move our manufacturing. Not the first. We also make things here in the U.S, in Canada, in South Africa, in China, and in other countries. We are a global company, selling and manufacturing all over the world.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

I can think of other threads where people have had issues and Besttop has went out of their way to make things right. If you didn't get overnight satisfaction, there may have been a valid reason, or lack of communication on your part. Without the full story, we'll never know.

Besttop makes the factory soft top for the new JK's. Just got one off Craigslist. Not sure where it was made, but it fits awesomely, doesn't leak,etc... Definitely a quality product.

With every product there are going to be issues with some items. If things aren't right, I'd recommend contacting Besttop and giving them a chance to make it right.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Geoff, thanks for your reply, I have contacted bestop this morning forcthe third time, and was told that it could be three weeks before i get my windows. Why is it that your staff is not sending me the right product the first time. I even made it a point to remind the lady before I hung up that I had tinted windows. As far as made in Mexico goes, you guys need to make your retailer aware of this because almost all of them are placing made in the USA on their websites. I paid Alot of money for what I thought was an upgrade to my factroy top and so far I have not gotten what I paid for.

Mckbrew, if you read my post, you got the whole story, but thanks for you input.
Unread 05-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
iawia
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What? The OP said he contacted Bestop without satisfaction. Their representative pointed out their size and capabilities but did nothing to help the OP deal with his problem when he should be in a position to do so.
iawia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
BestopTeam

iawia: I wasn't really trying to help him, to be honest - mostly because I just get in the way, and it just ticks people off, and partly because I didn't see any request for help. I just thought Duane was sharing opinions and doing some venting. Which is great, and useful to everyone, and exactly what a site like this is for.

I can't do much about his problem right now - I know we're WAY behind with replacement parts right now. So it might take a few weeks to get him the right windows. Why did they send him the wrong ones? Well, I doubt our customer support team did it on purpose. I'd guess it was a backroom attempt to just get things shipped. But they will get Duane all sorted out.

Duane: The made in USA thing is a very good point. I think the resellers all know - we work hard to stay in touch with them - but I'd bet no one thought to go through web sites looking for the little stickers. I'll point that out. We're talking about something that's only been in place for a few months now, though.

And again, I can't excuse or explain the chain of mistakes. But hang in there with us. We are DEFINITELY suffering from back orders right now. Sales were way down everywhere last year, and this year they are EXPLODING. We're playing catch-up. And it's causing some issues.
BestopTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Alright.

Yes the OP did contact best top, but was a bit vague about how often he contacted them and followed up with the issue.

Regardless, the issues with the supply and slow response time have absolutely nothing to do with where the factory is, but with an unexpected boom in sales.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Doogster
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I too just purchased a new Bestop sailcloth I have been waiting to order one since last summer. I did a lot of reading and was impressed with what I read so I spent the extra money and got the sailcloth. So I ordered one from Morris 4x4 and I installed it on May 1st everything went well with the install until I put the drivers rear window in and it just kinda hung there because it is too long. It was a warm day so I gave it the benefit of the doubt that maybe it would tighten up and fit better....NOT as soon as you hit 30 mph it comes out of the bottom track and starts flapping in the wind like a Gypsy Wagon. I'm thinking I paid $500.00 for this? It was about this point that a light went on and I remembered reading something about Bestop moving to Mexico and I got a real sick feeling in my stomach. So on Monday and Tuesday the 3rd and 4th I leave msgs @ Morris (btw don't bother doing that they won't call you back) so I finally get ahold of someone during the day on Wednesday the 5th and they tell me I have to send pictures. I took pictures on Wed night and email them and as of right now I have heard nothing back. But now I read what the OP has posted and now realize now that it looks like I am going to spend my summer fighting with Bestop over a simple window.

And Geoff since you wanted to point our a few things please allow me to do the same:

#1 You would think that since the TJ has been around for 13 years that making a top that fits would be second nature by now.

#2 An upscale German car and my TJ are two totally different things and I really don't care how pretty the plant is if they can't make a top that fits correctly. And if Mexico is such a GREAT place why are so many people trying to leave there?

#3 If Bestop is such a HUGE and DIVERSE company why has the OP had such a hard time getting a $40.00 replacement window?

I'm sorry to sound so negative but I waited and saved a long time to get this top and I had to make a 4 hour drive on Saturday going down the highway with something that sounded like it was 10 years old.
Then I read what the OP has gone through it is a little disheartening. But hey if Bestop takes care of me I will be the first to let everyone know. So Bestop you are on the clock!!
Doogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Update, I was sent a new deck skin, and after they sent me the new rear tinted window, I have this...

The deck skin fits fine, my left rear window is so loose fitting thought that is slaps the support bar, and when you have it on vent it blows out way more further than the other window...

I am very dissapointed in the quality of this top, I thought I was upgrading from the factory top but it turns out that I wish I would have just kept the top I had, at least it fit!!
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
nyrangersfan19
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a question for Geoff, since I'm sure he's scanning this: (or anyone else who wants to chime in is welcome to)

You said Bestop makes the factory JK tops. I have a 2010 and noticed a leak in the front over the driver seat. WOuld you recommend putting some silicone there in the channel? I'm not interested in making a whole fuss at the dealer.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
vilseck21
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffatBestop View Post
Duane: sorry about your experience.

We are doing more of our manufacturing in Mexico now.
I would like to point out two quick things, if I may:

1. We occasionally had complaints like this last year too. And occasionally in 1995. And 1975. And in 1965.
We're the biggest manufacturer for aftermarket Jeep parts, and sometimes things go wrong. The point is that Mexico isn't the reason. We are watching quality control carefully, and scientifically, as always. Not perfectly. But we're still doing fine. We sold thousands and thousands of tops in the past few months, by the way, as Jeep started really cranking out the new Wranglers!

2. Our plant in Mexico is amazing. It's BETTER than the plant here in Colorado. It was being used by a sister company that made soft tops for a couple of very upscale German car companies. They've moved to folding metal tops, so that gave us a chance to use their skills on our fabric tops. I say this because sometimes people see "Mexico" and think dirt floors. The truth is very, very different.

3. The third of my two points (oops) is that Bestop is one of the very last companies to move our manufacturing. Not the first. We also make things here in the U.S, in Canada, in South Africa, in China, and in other countries. We are a global company, selling and manufacturing all over the world.
Welp, I guess if I am going to by imported stuff that lacks quality, I am off to smittybilt. Good job on losing customer, just to save a few buck per top, I guess that its time for me to save a few bucks too. I wonder if they are gogin to drop their prices to meet paying mexican lower wages. REPEAL NAFTA

Last edited by vilseck21; 06-11-2010 at 04:20 PM..
vilseck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm.. Got my top and put it on. Didn't have an issue with it not stretching, but like duanewhatley up there. the drivers side rear window look EXACTLY like that. The passengers side sail panel is loose and I can barely shut my passenger side door because the window panel looks to be too big

Also, on the header they didn't use all the screw hole provided like the factory top. Now it looks like there are bulges of fabric on top of the windshield.

How did you fix your windows duane?
Unread 06-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

The pics are how my windows are currently, they have sent me a new deck skin and that tightened things up alot but my windows are still look like they are about to fall off. I sent them the pics like they asked, hopefully this nightmare will end soon. Im sorry to hear that yours has turned out the same. This deffinatly confirms it, I will no longer buy anything that Bestop makes until they can prove to me that they can make a top that fits like it should and take care of my issue. I am very disappointed! BTW the rear window that they sent me to replace the first one is the pic, the first was only wrinkled on one side, guess they didnt want me to be un even!!!
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

On a side note, when my less than a year old safari top decided to tear itself apart during a moderate rainstorm on the highway, I was less than pleased. When I got out to tighten up the straps on the roll bars, the center strap stitching broke on the drivers side and the rear strap stitching broke on the passenger side... so I got to drive home soaking wet with a parachute for a top. Not amusing. I figured I was out of luck, so I just kept tightening the others as I could when they would work themselves loose as I didn't have another $100 to spend for a new safari. The rear of the top basically de-laminated itself from flapping in the wind in about a week. I was perturbed so I wrote an email to bestop through their website. I never heard anything back. Not a phone call, not an email, nothing. I didn't even get a cool automated confirmation email saying "hey we got your email, now get bent". My wife decided to buy me a new safari because she said she got tired of us "looking like the rednecks". Had she not, I'd have never purchased another Bestop product. I'm still pissed we had to spend another $100 bucks. Never again. Some kind of contact would have been nice. Be happy you are getting SOME kind of service Duane. I didn't even get that simple courtesy.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We drove on the freeway today and OMG! One of the rear windows came loose from the channel right behind the door. The only thing holding it on was the zipper!!!!
We had to pull over and take it down.
I dunno, it all looks like it's too big. I'll give them a call monday

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.