Best place to buy a 4.0L crate motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Best place to buy a 4.0L crate motor

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Best place to buy a 4.0L crate motor

Have some thoughts on a project and want to get all my costs in line.

Thanks

BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Golen Engine Service
JASPER Engines & Transmissions: Remanufactured engine: diesel, marine, import
Titan Engines
Hesco Performance
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
black05tj
2004 WJ 

I see that Titan has a 4.0 stroked to 4.9 that makes 315 hp and 345 ft/lbs torque! Only $500 more than the Golen 4.6. Haven't heard or read much about Titan engines though...
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

From researching the sites, it doesn't make sense why someone wouldn't go for the 4.6 or 4.7. But I'd also upgrade the Throttle Body plus you have to remap the ECU. Wonder about the ramifications of emissions testing.

Anyone know what a Jeep dealer sells a new shortblock/longblock for?
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post
From researching the sites, it doesn't make sense why someone wouldn't go for the 4.6 or 4.7.
Well, if you got a Golden engine, it needs to run on 91 octane and we all know what kind of fuel milage Jeeps get. I don't know what the other manufacturers demand for octane in their strokers though.

I'd rather build a poor man's 4.5L stroker.

Edit: I just called Titan Engines to see, and their stroker engines also require 91. He did tell me though that their 4.9L stroker engine can run on any fuel because they can build them with adjustable compression.... but the HP/TQ numbers will be lower, of course.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.

Last edited by Axl Jack; 10-07-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.