Best Headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Best Headlights

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
sivart9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Best Headlights

Im hoping there is an obvious answer and every one will say the same thing and not none of that "its a matter of opinion" crap.
Whats the absolute best headlights on the market for an 00 SE? I wanna be able to see as best as possible at night.

sivart9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/h-...tj-wow-842999/
DDM 55watt 5000K Hi/Low H4 with Hella H4 E-Code housings.
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OSRAM SYLVANIA - SilverStar ULTRA

If all you want is to be able to see. They also only last like a 1/4th of a normal headlight. The only problem I could see is that people will probably flash thier lights at you because they are really bright. (I do not have them but they are the super bright ones)
baritone_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
Hondo
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've never driven a vehicle that has HID's so I cannot comment in that regard, but I do have the Hella E-code housings on my Jeep with just standard Sylvania bulbs and they are friggin' amazing. They are the best headlights I've personally seen on any vehicle. Ever.
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Be careful changing out your headlights and check your local laws. Some areas only allow certain color of lights to be used as "headlights" and some regions even loosely enforce a specific brand based on the original spec of your vehicle.
I didn't know it was an issue until I stumbled across an article recently, but google it and you'll see that it's becoming more of a problem, or more to the point, a source if income as cities are scrambling for money and will get it any way they can.
Just a thought.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
vanwyk4257
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
I've never driven a vehicle that has HID's so I cannot comment in that regard, but I do have the Hella E-code housings on my Jeep with just standard Sylvania bulbs and they are friggin' amazing. They are the best headlights I've personally seen on any vehicle. Ever.
Hella E-codes are very good. I have hella H4's on my YJ with a relay wiring setup and stock bulbs and am very happy with the light output. I had a set of E-codes on my old Porsche 944 with relays and some very high wattage bulbs and they put out more light than the factory HID's on my current daily driver.

Whatever lights you run, invest in or fabricate a wiring harness with relays to put power to the lights. Voltage loss through the skimpy factory wiring harness has a significant effect on degrading light output. Use at least 12 gauge wire if you fabricate one, I did a test on a couple sets of Hella 500 lights once, wired one set with the stock 18ga. harness, and the other with 12ga. The lights powered with the 12ga. harness were significantly brighter.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hella's are great in my experience.

HIDs are good in theory, but the aftermarket ones are not street legal because they do not focus properly. Lots of light, but little control. Factory HIDs are great but there is no sensible way to retrofit them into an older vehicle.

LEDs hold promise but are probably not ready for prime time yet.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The best possible light is going to come from a replacement housing, 6024 Bulbs are expensive and out dated. The replacement housing will allow you to run H4 bulbs. This is really up to preference and how much work you want for your self, you can run regular H4 bulbs if you want, upgrade your wiring so you can run brighter ones, or go all the way to HID. HID will probably be the best, but also costs quite a bit, and there is some work involved.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

ipf h4 housings and fat boy 2s
roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart9 View Post
Im hoping there is an obvious answer and every one will say the same thing and not none of that "its a matter of opinion" crap.
And there's the problem, there is no "best" anything for a Jeep. it's all about what's best for you and how and where you use your Jeep. It really is a matter of opinion

Look at the responses so far, all different opinions...

I have IPF's, Fatboys and a wiring harness that cost a bundle of money and are no better in light output/pattern/visibility that my roommates Jeep of the same year model with Deltas and Silverstars for less than half the cost.

I've driven rigs with all LED's, phenomenal light output but in the desert/rockcrawling wheeling I do they were more of a hindrance than a plus. A simple flood light and good rock lights work best there. But on semi hi-speed runs across the desert I want more long-range light.

So do you want more light for highway driving, city driving, off-road in rocks, mud, snow. mountains, plains, a combo light?? There's a lot more questions to ask other than "the best" before you can make an informed decision about which light is best for you personally.

Other than that, listen to other's opinions and experiences and then go out and buy what you think will work best for you.

Some good tech info on lighting in general, may give you some ideas: Daniel Stern Lighting
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
ipf h4 housings and fat boy 2s
Always rewire (direct from the battery using relays) for high wattage bulbs. DO NOT use your existing wiring or headlight switch to carry the current. Also ground to the chassis, battery or engine block, do not ground through the harness.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Always rewire (direct from the battery using relays) for high wattage bulbs. DO NOT use your existing wiring or headlight switch to carry the current. Also ground to the chassis, battery or engine block, do not ground through the harness.
i did lol just forgot to mention that part imma few drinks in
roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hella is the best for the money spent in my experience.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Loamy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just put on the KC 7" DOT Approved H4 lights on my jeep. Some people will argue that the European spec beam pattern is better, but these were a great improvement. I appreciated the fact that the beam pattern was extended below the normal range so despite the lift, my headlights now actually illuminate the road surface. Also, lexan is an incredibly durable material for a lens. It may scratch a little easier than glass, but there is no way an impact will crack or break it.
photo-16-.jpg   photo-17-.jpg  
Unread 12-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This may help with lens choice. JP Magazine headlamp shootout...

Jeep Headlight Shootout | Jp Magazine Article at Automotive.com

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.