JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Beach permit!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/beach-permit-1521147/)

Wrangler44 05-09-2013 04:30 PM

Beach permit!!

Alright so just bought my first beach permits fir all Long Island beaches. Pretty pumped. Just have some simple questions! I have 285/70/17 nitto trail grapplers. I'm not worried about the air pressure :-)
1. Tow straps- I don't have a winch so I need to buy these. Does it matter what size strap I buy? In feet? 15', 25', 6
2. Jack board- can I just buy a piece of ply wood or a metal plate!
Thank you

1) tow straps-

Vin 05-09-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrangler44 (Post 15412627)
Alright so just bought my first beach permits fir all Long Island beaches. Pretty pumped. Just have some simple questions! I have 285/70/17 nitto trail grapplers. I'm not worried about the air pressure :-)
1. Tow straps- I don't have a winch so I need to buy these. Does it matter what size strap I buy? In feet? 15', 25', 6
2. Jack board- can I just buy a piece of ply wood or a metal plate!
Thank you

1) Tow Straps: Variety is always great. You can never tell how much room you will actually need for a rescue. You can always double up a strap to make it short, but you can't stretch it out to make it longer. I'd go with the 25' strap.

2) Jack board: Yes, you need at least 12"x12"x3/4". Stick with wood. Metal is heavy and slippery.

Don't forget your fishing equipment (1 pole for every one in the vehicle). I hear they have been cracking down lately.

Wrangler44 05-09-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vin

1) Tow Straps: Variety is always great. You can never tell how much room you will actually need for a rescue. You can always double up a strap to make it short, but you can't stretch it out to make it longer. I'd go with the 25' strap.

2) Jack board: Yes, you need at least 12"x12"x3/4". Stick with wood. Metal is heavy and slippery.

Don't forget your fishing equipment (1 pole for every one in the vehicle). I hear they have been cracking down lately.

Thank you vin! Just ordered the tow straps. Going to see if I can get a piece of wood cut for me. Yea I wanted to customize a fishing holder somewhere. But considering my jeep is leased(yea I screwed up) I have to wait a year to buy one now lol. Thanks for the heads up. Take care

Monkeybomber 05-10-2013 09:08 PM

I head out island beach state park pretty often. Off the top of my head here's what I always have in the car:
Fishing stuff, air gauge, plywood board, tow strap, >1/4 tank of gas

I regards to the beach police cracking down, they've driven past me just lying in the sand before and not really done anything. Just don't go throwing beer bottles all over the place and I don't see them really caring.

Slithering_Joe 05-11-2013 10:16 AM

The list below is a good one for driving on any beach. We go to Island Beach State Park (IBSP) and here is the list of mandatory items in order to drive on the beach. Anything missing and you are not getting past the rangers. Yes, the fishing equipment is required on IBSP for driving on the beach but may not apply to other beach areas. Permits are issued to 4-wheel drive vehicle owners for fishing purposes only. Carrying the basic equipment listed is required whenever the 4x4 vehicle is on the beach.

Source: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...ks/island.html

1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8) Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.

Optional items:
(a) current tide chart (highly recommended)
(b) Jumper cables for the vehicle's specific battery type (highly recommended)
(c) sunscreen
(d) bug spray (especially at night)
(e) fresh water
(f) air pump

I made a dual-tire air line w/gauge for airing down & up two tires at the same time - quick and equal pressures.
I carry an air pump (f) just in case the park provided ones are not working or there is a long waiting line.

The time now is 12:23 AM.